Author Topic: Is the Tea Party classical liberalism?  (Read 5434 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is the Tea Party classical liberalism?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
So the answer to my question is "no"?

The answer to your question, irrelevant as it is, is i have no idea.

Ahhh, so I guess I can similarly bestow any question you ask as irrelevant, based on.....my appparent inability to answer it, thus validating the relevancy to begin with.  Gotcha

I have not attended, viewed or audited every tea party rally in the nation since its existence to give a meaningful answer to your question. I can not state with certainty that a speaker at one of these rallies did not discuss social issues. And I'm not so sure you can either.

I'm SURE that if they did, the MSM would have presented that front & center, to try and paint the tea party as something more insidious than merely a large throng of the populace fed up with continued debt ridden government spending & taxation, with no apparent end in sight,..... thus the relevancy of my question.  A quick cursory google search may have done the trick for you
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Your question is irrevelant because the tea party to the best of my knowledge is not hijacking social conservatism.

But apparently social conservatives have an eye on the tea party.

Did the Planned Parenthood spending issue arise because it is a tea party issue or did it arise out as a social conservative issue, or is it simply a fiscal issue.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
Your question is irrelevant because the tea party to the best of my knowledge is not hijacking social conservatism.

Then you help reinforce my point...and relevancy of my question, if they're supporting someone like Bachman, who apparently advocates the fiscal conservatism they like in a politician

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
Your question is irrevelant because the tea party to the best of my knowledge is not hijacking social conservatism.

But apparently social conservatives have an eye on the tea party.

Did the Planned Parenthood spending issue arise because it is a tea party issue or did it arise out as a social conservative issue, or is it simply a fiscal issue.

It is exactly both, does this put it off limits for either sect?

Planned Parenthood could get along with a little reduction if it got no government support, it could get along with a slightly smaller reduction if it got out of the abortion business, why not make this the choice they must make?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
Planned Parenthood could get along with a little reduction if it got no government support, it could get along with a slightly smaller reduction if it got out of the abortion business, why not make this the choice they must make?

Is it the type of work they do that bothers you more than that they are the recipient of federal funding? Wouldn't that be a good definitional delineation of a social conservative versus a strictly fiscal conservative?

Do we need a tea party to fight the social wars, thought that was what the religious right did.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »

Is it the type of work they do that bothers you more than that they are the recipient of federal funding? Wouldn't that be a good definitional delineation of a social conservative versus a strictly fiscal conservative?

Do we need a tea party to fight the social wars, thought that was what the religious right did.

Overlap does not cancel in this case, it reinforces.

Tax money is being used to disgusting purpose , who needs to be left out ?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
Well stated

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

Which battle is more important right now. Righting the fiscal ship or fighting the culture wars?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
Why do they have to be mutually exclusive??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »

Who says they do?

Let the religious right field their candidates, let the tea party folks field theirs. let the primaries decide which way the country wants to go, but why the back door hijacking of a movement that has done more fiscally in two years than the social conservatives have done in 30?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 11:51:33 PM »

Who says they do?

LOL....your continued criticising of Bachman speaking on behalf of the Tea Party seems to imply a need for them to be mutually exclusive.   No, Bachman did not hijack anything.  She spoke to the core of what drives the tea party, out of control government spending, exponential debt, and overtaxation.  Simply because she also has social conservative views shouldn't be some disqualifier to the tea party supporting her.

So, with that being the case, Plane is exactly right in referencing a perfectly acceptable overlap.  Unless its your position they need to be kept separate.  Is it??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »

Who says they do?

LOL....your continued criticising of Bachman speaking on behalf of the Tea Party seems to imply a need for them to be mutually exclusive.   No, Bachman did not hijack anything.  She spoke to the core of what drives the tea party, out of control government spending, exponential debt, and overtaxation.  Simply because she also has social conservative views shouldn't be some disqualifier to the tea party supporting her.

So, with that being the case, Plane is exactly right in referencing a perfectly acceptable overlap.  Unless its your position they need to be kept separate.  Is it??

Perhaps you do not understand what i am saying.

Let me restate.

If you self identify as a tea partier and you think Michelle Bachmanns fiscal views and her social views match yours pretty well, then obviously you would not have a problem supporting her as a candidate.

But if you self identify as a tea partier and you agree with Michelle Bachmanns fiscal views but disagree with her social views you might have a problem with her proclaiming that she speaks for the tea party and therefore speaks for you.

Do you understand that in one case you do the deciding, in the other case she decides for you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »

Which battle is more important right now. Righting the fiscal ship or fighting the culture wars?

I think you have missed my point, something that is bad in both respects makes natural allies of both camps, there is not a need to insist on purity of motive when the same result is desired for diffrent reasons.

If someone wants to present a more finely attuned tea party view they are perfectly free to do so , and the tea party will reject or accept the statement by acclimation, acclimation seems to be the main means of Tea party acceptance or rejection, I haven't seen genuine organised polling.

Try to examine your idea from my POV if social liberals must reject Bachman then social conservatives must reject Bachmans alternative (is who by the way?) then the pure tea party can have no spokesmen whatsoever.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 12:47:52 AM »
I'm SURE that if they did, the MSM would have presented that front & center, to try and paint the tea party as something more insidious than merely a large throng of the populace fed up with continued debt ridden government spending & taxation, with no apparent end in sight,..... thus the relevancy of my question.  A quick cursory google search may have done the trick for you

That is a pretty good description of the phenominon as I understand it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »
Perhaps you do not understand what i am saying.
Let me restate.

If you self identify as a tea partier and you think Michelle Bachmanns fiscal views and her social views match yours pretty well, then obviously you would not have a problem supporting her as a candidate.

But if you self identify as a tea partier and you agree with Michelle Bachmanns fiscal views but disagree with her social views you might have a problem with her proclaiming that she speaks for the tea party and therefore speaks for you.

Do you understand that in one case you do the deciding, in the other case she decides for you.

So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to prove that Bachman's positions on fiscal restraint and constitutional government are inconsistent with that of the Tea Party.  Otherwise, your merely burning rhetorical rubber, and going no where, since if I WERE a Tea partier, and she DID mirror my positions on fiscal responsibility, as a predominant position in her platform, I wouldn't have too many concerns on her social views, as long as they weren't rabid.  And without that rabidity, I wouldn't have a problem if she were attempting to speak for the Tea party, so long as she was completely focused on the fiscal issues, in her speaking

Was she not??

That is a pretty good description of the phenominon as I understand it.

Thanks Plane.  Me too, obviously    8)