Author Topic: Cain's speech  (Read 7167 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cain's speech
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
Until then, meritless accusations are of little use to this discussion, outside of those merely trying to lynch Cain with a PR rope

======================================================
Nothing is of any really significant use here, UNLESS someone has the power to vote in one of the GOP primaries. This is, again, NOT a criminal case, and no matter how guilty or innocent Cain may be, no one is going to try him for the alleged offense.

The few people who hold the power here are those who can vote for Cain or one of his opponents in once of the first four or five primaries, and his sexual conduct ten years ago is only one among many factors they should consider and many more they could consider.

There will be no lynching, high tech or otherwise.
Cain will be the nominee or he will not be the nominee. I say no, he has little chance of winning the nomination.
If nominated, Cain will be or will not be elected president.
His chances of being elected are far less than those of his being nominated, in my opinion.

The votes of women, I imagine, will depend more on the opinions of the voters regarding the accusations of his being a molester.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
Nice, albeit transparent deflection on what the accuser could do/should do, that requires no legal recourse, to voters and what they can do/can't do
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
Everybody with an ounce of common sense already knows that Cain is a sexual abuser of female employees.   That FOUR women could conspire together, three of them years before Cain became a contender, to smear his name, simply defies all laws of probability.  Why weren't four accusers found for GW Bush, or Romney or Huntsman or even the loathesome Newt?

Get real, people. 

The real issue is whether GOP voters give a shit about this or not.  My gut feeling is that they don't, otherwise they wouldn't embarrass themselves with such ludicrous defences of such an obviously guilty man.  The investigation and substantial settlement of two claims, the speed with which The Perv's ass was out the employer's door, the number of accusers, all on the same payroll, the corroboration of witnesses who report being advised of the accusations at the approximate times of the offences, The Perv's constantly-changing stories of the events, etc.

Bottom line of course is that the GOP, the party of not giving  a shit, doesn't give a shit.  Bitch was asking for it, bitch couldn't make ends meet, bitch was a blonde - - any stupid reason, but at the end of the day, even if they have to admit that the guy is a pervert, they will still vote for him because they just don't give a shit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
And everyone not a member of the lunatic left, and in possession of far more common sense, not to mention logic, not to menion facts, knows that these unsubstantiated accusations, are no more than a he said/she said, aimed at a prominent conservative republican, that apparently scares the snot out of the liberal establishment, and the plantation they've so nicely concocted around their minority sheeple

IMHO the REAL, especially if my earlier Cain conclusion hypothesis comes to fruition, is if votes from all sides of the spectrum will come to some outrage and the transparent duplicity at work with the MSM.  I'm not going to hold my breath, as the MSM has made their bed with Democrats, and they're going to parrot their talking points, while painting Republicans as the evil greedy, obstructionists, they they need to convince the electorate they are, since their fella can't run on his piss poor record...or judgement...or leadership.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
Why was $80K paid out for "false accusations?"  That is way beyond the "nuisance value" at which most baseless claims are settled.   Especially cases where trial would have been quick and easy, there being no documentary or physical evidence involved, and a "thorough investigation" having already been conducted by the employer and Cain's ass already out the door before the settlement was even signed.

"Back when I was a lawyer I handled several sexual harassment suits. None of mine settled for less than the high end of six figures.

"Reading about these two complaints, my gut reaction to them is that settling for five figures, which could be as little as $10,000.00 and as high as $99,999, was 'go away' money.

"If the Chief Executive Officer of the National Restaurant Association, at the time one of the top 25 trade associations in Washington, D.C., were sexually harassing someone, that someone could get a lot of money. It just strikes me that a settlement for less than six figures is money paid to deal with the nuisances of an employee fired or otherwise let go who decided to raise the specter of harassment to get more money to leave without causing a scene."
http://is.gd/P54NNa
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
Sharon Bialek told what she knows and her inability to remember meaningless details like name of hotel after 12 years is of no significance whatsoever.

And yet, she remembers exactly what clothing she wore.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
That FOUR women could conspire together, three of them years before Cain became a contender, to smear his name, simply defies all laws of probability.  Why weren't four accusers found for GW Bush, or Romney or Huntsman or even the loathesome Newt?

Actually, three of them made their charges about the time that Cain was starting up his run for the 2000 election.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »
BTW, for everyone concerned.

The episode with Sharon Bialek occurred in mid-July 1997. The hotel was the Capital Hilton.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
BTW, for everyone concerned.  The episode with Sharon Bialek occurred in mid-July 1997. The hotel was the Capital Hilton.

Ahhh, excellent.  Now, that narrows the fact finding.  Thanks Ami......did the accuser finally provide these details?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Why was $80K paid out for "false accusations?"  That is way beyond the "nuisance value" at which most baseless claims are settled.

"Back when I was a lawyer I handled several sexual harassment suits. None of mine settled for less than the high end of six figures.

"Reading about these two complaints, my gut reaction to them is that settling for five figures, which could be as little as $10,000.00 and as high as $99,999, was 'go away' money.

"If the Chief Executive Officer of the National Restaurant Association, at the time one of the top 25 trade associations in Washington, D.C., were sexually harassing someone, that someone could get a lot of money. It just strikes me that a settlement for less than six figures is money paid to deal with the nuisances of an employee fired or otherwise let go who decided to raise the specter of harassment to get more money to leave without causing a scene."

The real scandal in the accusations against Herman Cain is the corruption of the law, the media and politics.

Let's start with the law. Some people may think the fact that the National Restaurant Association reportedly paid $45,000 to settle a claim made by one of its employees against Mr. Cain is incriminating.

Most of us are not going to part with 45 grand without some serious reason. But that is very different from the situation of an organization in the present legal climate.

The figure $45,000 struck a chord with me because, some years ago, my wife -- who is an attorney -- was fervently congratulated when her client had to pay "only" $45,000 in a jury award when the plaintiff was demanding a million dollars, in a case that was as frivolous a lawsuit as you could find.

The person who was suing was a drunk driver, whose car went out of control and slammed into a tree. After the sheriff's deputies arrested her, she sued them on dubious charges, and the sheriff's department was glad it had to pay "only" $45,000.

The department was painfully aware of the uncertainty about what ruinous costs a jury might impose on the deputies.

The real scandal goes far beyond the case of Herman Cain and his accusers. The real scandal is that the law allows people to impose heavy costs on others at little or no cost to themselves. That is a perfect setting for legalized extortion.

The fact that neither judges nor juries always stick to the letter of the law means that people who have zero basis for a lawsuit, under the law as written, can still create enough uncertainty to extract money from people who cannot afford the risk of going to trial.

As for a $45,000 settlement, that is what an organization would pay to settle a nuisance lawsuit -- if they are lucky.

If we had a legal system where judges threw frivolous cases out of court, instead of letting them go to trial, that would put a damper on legalized extortion.

If those who bring charges that do not stand up in court had to pay the other party for their legal fees -- and should have to pay for their time as well -- these games could not go on.

It turns out that the women making televised charges against Herman Cain have past histories that do not inspire confidence, including in at least one case a history of making similar complaints against others.

Another woman who has come forward tells of Herman Cain asking her, at some conference, to see if she could locate some woman in the audience who had asked him a question, so that he could take her to dinner. This apparently struck her as suspicious.

This too reminded me of something I knew about personally. Many years ago, I was at a conference where a woman made some very insightful comments, and I took her to lunch to continue the discussion.

It so happens she was a nun. Contrary to cynics, there is more than one reason for a man to take a woman to lunch or dinner.

The same mainstream media whose responses to proven charges against Bill Clinton was, "Let's move on," is not about to move on from unproven charges against Herman Cain.

What role does race play in all this?

It is probably not racism, as such, that motivates these attacks on Herman Cain. The motivation is far more likely to be politics, but politics makes a prominent black conservative like Clarence Thomas or Herman Cain far more dangerous to the Democrats than an equally prominent white conservative.

The 90 percent black vote for Democrats is like money in the bank on election day. A prominent black conservative who offers an alternative view of the world is a serious danger politically, because if that alternative view has the net effect of reducing the black vote for Democrats just to 75 percent, the Democrats are in big trouble at election time.

In this political context, merely defeating a black conservative at the polls or at confirmation hearings is not enough. He must be destroyed as an influence in the future -- and character assassination is the most obvious way to do it.

The Real Scandal

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
.........., and 9-9-9 would cost me a lot more in taxes.

Why?

If you dont mind that I pry.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
It would cost me and my wife, as upper middle class, NON members of the 1% denomination, alot less

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
.........., and 9-9-9 would cost me a lot more in taxes.

=======================================
I do not pay a 9% sales tax. I do not pay income tax on what Social Security pays me. I do not pay into either SS. Medicare costs me about $98 per month. I no longer pay into the Medicare Trust Fund. I am retired.

I know what I pay in taxes now, and I know that Cain's cockamamie plan would cost me more. Of course, Cain would NEVER get this through Congress. He won't be elected President.

And no, he did not take a polygraph test. Not that they are noted for accuracy. Voice stress tests are not admissible in a Court, either.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Why are you opining on a speech that you didn't even see?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
I did hear Cain's speech. It was just a denial. There was nothing even remotely awesome about it.

He is still a blowhard and a crackpot.