Author Topic: civil disobedience  (Read 8497 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: civil disobedience
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
I get the theory, I just think the theory is wrong. I understand that the people who support it mean well, but it seems obviously counterproductive to me.

Well, maybe that is because you have that annoying habit of thinking sensibly.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Probably.

Oh, I mean, uh, why thank you, Pooch. How kind of you to say.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

fatman

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
The Brothers Karamazov? Man, you really know how to hurt a guy's feelings.

Hey, that's a compliment, I like The Brothers Karamazov.  I think that it was Vonnegut that said all you ever needed to know could be found in that book.  What I was trying to convey is that it was a very rich debate and lucid and well-thought out on both sides, so rich, lucid, and thought out that it was difficult to observe it and digest it at the same time.  It'd be like speed reading East of Eden, another of my favorites (before Oprah and her book club got ahold of it and made it oh so cliche).

I know you were kidding Prince, I'm just trying to reword my original better.

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
I know you were kidding Prince, I'm just trying to reword my original better.

Oh so now you're changing your meaning?   >:( 

You have wandered into a strange new dimension, my friend.  There's a signpost up ahead . . .

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »

Oh so now you're changing your meaning?   >:(

Hey, hey now, that's my argument, poseur.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
Hey, hey now, that's my argument, poseur.

Curses!  Caught up in plagiarism.  I feel so Obama-nable.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »

Hey, that's a compliment, I like The Brothers Karamazov.

I know you did. I'm actually not a big fan of Russian literature, at least, not what little I've read, which mostly consists of trying to slog through Crime and Punishment in high school, though did read my dad's old book of Russian science fiction short stories. But I'm much older now, maybe I'll give it another go. Not that long ago I did make it through the entire, unabridged The Hunchback of Notre Dame without any lasting scars.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »

Curses!  Caught up in plagiarism.  I feel so Obama-nable.

OW! Sharp, shooting pain just went through my head. I saw stars and then everything went white for a second. I'm okay now.

Holy crap, warn a guy, will ya? Sheesh.

;-]

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
OW! Sharp, shooting pain just went through my head. I saw stars and then everything went white for a second. I'm okay now.

Holy crap, warn a guy, will ya? Sheesh.

I shall have the standard "HORRIFICALLY BAD PUN WARNING" indicator installed with all due haste.

My apologies.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »

I shall have the standard "HORRIFICALLY BAD PUN WARNING" indicator installed with all due haste.

My apologies.

I should hope so. Just glancing over it again made me have to go lie down.

(still) ;-]

fatman

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
Oh so now you're changing your meaning?    

Not at all, just trying to clarify my original meaning, not restructure it.  ;)

You have wandered into a strange new dimension, my friend.  There's a signpost up ahead . . .

Maybe that's why I'm in a bank vault with all these books.  Now if only I hadn't broken my glasses.   ;D

I know you did. I'm actually not a big fan of Russian literature, at least, not what little I've read, which mostly consists of trying to slog through Crime and Punishment in high school, though did read my dad's old book of Russian science fiction short stories. But I'm much older now, maybe I'll give it another go. Not that long ago I did make it through the entire, unabridged The Hunchback of Notre Dame without any lasting scars.

Give it another go UP, I was only in my early 20's when I did the Brothers Karamazov.  I'll admit though, that I prefer Dostoyevsky to Tolstoy.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2008, 03:56:25 AM »

Maybe that's why I'm in a bank vault with all these books.  Now if only I hadn't broken my glasses.

My second favorite episode.

Give it another go UP, I was only in my early 20's when I did the Brothers Karamazov.  I'll admit though, that I prefer Dostoyevsky to Tolstoy.

I may just do that. By the way, have you seen http://againwiththecomics.blogspot.com/2007/08/batman-by-dostoyevsky.html?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:48 AM »
When I see a libertarian civil disobedience movement, I will then, and only then, believe one is possible.

Maybe after the Libertarians take over New Hampshire.  would think Alaska would have been a better choice because it has a lot more resources and so forth, but it would mean that they would have had to do away with the annual distribution of the oil revenue by the state.  I don't think libertarians
would counternence being on the dole like that. It couldn' be good for their self-respect. And I  hardly think that they'd get much support from the Aleuts and Eskimos, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."