Author Topic: Wonderful idea....  (Read 3474 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wonderful idea....
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
<<How can it be clandestine when they have a department charged with the duties and Lanya posted an article about it.

<<Seems like sour grapes on your side. >>

Sure, the department is public knowledge but its activities won't be.  They sure as hell won't be posting their mailing lists with all recipients identified by blog names and user IDs.

How would you like it if one of the members of this group turned out to be on a Taliban, Hamas or Hezbollah mailing list and got specific "talking point" and debate coaching specifically oriented to the threads and posts in this group - - without letting you or the other members in on it?  (OK, I realize what I'm setting myself up for - - bring it on!)  It just changes the nature of the debate without the knowledge of the participants.  It's sleazy and wrong.  Period.  And it's also a danger to democracy, because democracy depends to some extent on  a  free public debate.  If the government with all its resources is also participating, unidentified, in the "citizens' debate," the results of the debate obviously will be skewed to the government view (else why the effort?) and so the "voice of the people" as expressed in debate isn't really the exclusive voice of the people any more.  I'm amazed you can't see what's being lost.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 12:32:23 PM »

How would you like it if one of the members of this group turned out to be on a Taliban, Hamas or Hezbollah mailing list and got specific "talking point" and debate coaching specifically oriented to the threads and posts in this group - - without letting you or the other members in on it?  (OK, I realize what I'm setting myself up for - - bring it on!) 

That might be nice , isn't Lanya sometimes criticised for posting the articles of the left , unevaluated?

I have defended this practice on the grounds that the search is a service.

I would like to actually see what the Taliban has to say these days , every now and then I try to search up something like that on the net.

If we had a member that was finding all of the Talib talking points for us that would be a good thing.

Although Govewrnment resorces can make a lot of diffrence , the seat of logic in in individual minds and one of us can be the actual equal of any three governments in the feild of logic.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
It's more wingnut welfare.  I'm sure many rightie bloggers will happily suck on the government teat.

Lanya, I have noticed, in the past few months, you are gettimg more and more brusque and negative. ????
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:01:39 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

yellow_crane

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »
It's more wingnut welfare.  I'm sure many rightie bloggers will happily suck on the government teat.

Lanmya, I have noticed, in the past few months, you are gettimg more and more brusque and negative. ????

Worry not.

The time to worry is to watch L or anybody witness the increasingly exposed corruption of arguably the most corrupt administration in our nation's history and see that her emotional reactions are incongruent with that which is at hand.

If you want to worry (or employ "worry" as an opening gambit to controlling others), you might direct your attention to those who know all about the corruption and instead queue up to celebrate it, as say in celebrating he who became corporate corruption personified--Abramoff; the worry then would appropriately be associated with two maladies:  narcissism and sociopathology.

My guess is that the real (the preneocon) Jesus would agree with me here.

Certainly he realizes as do most sane people that being happy happy while Rome burns is far from appropriately fulfilling anybody's karma.

I might add the Buddhists would agree, since they define sanity as veering and deviating from 'living in the now.'  To them, to engage in past and future thinking leads to a dark muddlement, where dark angel--to both them and some psychologists agree--are born.

I imagine any religion worth its salt recognizes that "spin" is no white angel. 

Best to be in the real, in the here and now, without spin, especially when the landscape is filled with oh so many pied pipers.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
Professor, you should feel free to skip right past my posts.  I promise it won't hurt my feelings. Be my guest, by all means.  Do not read that which offendeth thee.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »

Lanmya, I have noticed, in the past few months, you are gettimg more and more brusque and negative. ????

Worry not.

The time to worry is to watch L or anybody witness the increasingly exposed corruption of arguably the most corrupt administration in our nation's history and see that her emotional reactions are incongruent with that which is at hand.

If you want to worry (or employ "worry" as an opening gambit to controlling others), you might direct your attention to those who know all about the corruption and instead queue up to celebrate it, as say in celebrating he who became corporate corruption personified--Abramoff; the worry then would appropriately be associated with two maladies:  narcissism and sociopathology.

My guess is that the real (the preneocon) Jesus would agree with me here.

Certainly he realizes as do most sane people that being happy happy while Rome burns is far from appropriately fulfilling anybody's karma.

I might add the Buddhists would agree, since they define sanity as veering and deviating from 'living in the now.'  To them, to engage in past and future thinking leads to a dark muddlement, where dark angel--to both them and some psychologists agree--are born.

I imagine any religion worth its salt recognizes that "spin" is no white angel. 

Best to be in the real, in the here and now, without spin, especially when the landscape is filled with oh so many pied pipers.

I concur. I have very little stomach for lobbyists and their ilk who make a living in the Shadow Realms. As I have little stomach for scumbags, whether they are Republican or Democrat.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:43 PM »
Professor, you should feel free to skip right past my posts.  I promise it won't hurt my feelings. Be my guest, by all means.  Do not read that which offendeth thee.

There is no need to get all offended. I asked an honest question.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
There is no need to get all offended. I asked an honest question.

Yeah, but she thinks you want her to get cancer.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »
The Professor made a statement, he did not actually ask a question.

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 12:39:47 AM »
and I selected that particular smiley because it has a question mark attached. You must have missed it.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 03:40:40 PM »
The Professor might want to skip this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jMmQaXykg

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
I truly worry about the future of America when leading proponents of the left in this forum think youtube flashes are the best way to get your facts.

What is even funnier is this sames person trashes a Rand study saying that to get your point of view across you need to know your target audience and that is exactly what the author of the video did.

So perhaps reading is the first step, but it isn't worth much if comprehension does not immediately follow.

Truly sad.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »
I didn't "trash" the study.  I posted it because NOW they're saying maybe they shoulda studied their 'target audience' better?  NOW?  How many limbs and melted faces later did they decide, "Hey, I've got an idea, let's let the Rand Corp. study this, see where we could improve."
The patient is dead or dying already.  Way way too late for starting to study the How To's of First Aid.

But the Rand study was right in their findings.   

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »
The Professor might want to skip this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jMmQaXykg

sigh...more emotional diatribes.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 07:14:39 PM »
How many limbs and melted faces later did they decide,

The limbs and melted faces would have happened whether they dressed the war in a party dress or not.

That is the reality of war. There are casualties, people die, get injured and are otherwise harmed.

Part of the problem seems to be that when we go to war we only go in half assed. And the reason we do that is not because it is an effective way to wage war, it is to mollify the folks at home.