Author Topic: Should be big time media news.........but then again  (Read 9434 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Should be big time media news.........but then again
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 10:12:06 AM »

"I'm against all quotas, all set-asides," he says. "America is the greatest. We got ahead by hard work. We shouldn't respond to every problem with a government program. Here, anyone can succeed."

I keep saying that, but for some reason people keep telling me that will only lead to the ruination of the country. Something about it would let in too many immigrants...

Would you like to know the number of students in my classes from overseas who complain that American students are lazy and we have forgotten hard work? Have we?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »

"I'm against all quotas, all set-asides," he says. "America is the greatest. We got ahead by hard work. We shouldn't respond to every problem with a government program. Here, anyone can succeed."

I keep saying that, but for some reason people keep telling me that will only lead to the ruination of the country. Something about it would let in too many immigrants...

One of the things that attracts immagrants is the government sponsored services.
I looked into emigrating to Australia a few years back. They wouldn't let me in due to my age. They indicated they did not want a drain on their somehwat considerable social services net. I was around 50 at the time.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
I looked into emigrating to Australia a few years back. They wouldn't let me in due to my age. They indicated they did not want a drain on their somehwat considerable social services net. I was around 50 at the time.

That is not rare for the UK and some of the commonwealth states. They developed what is known as the "Post-War Consensus" and many are loathe to give it up to those they don't consider to have been contributors. Primarily, it was the UK, Australia, and New Zealand...and Canada to a smaller degree. That is one reason there is some resentment to immigrants in those countries today.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:04 AM »

I barely got through high school, no drive, no ambition. Went inot the Corps at 18. Made a real man out of me. I am a true believer in hard work. I've done it my entire life and fu%&+ anyone who doesn't believe it makes you a better person. You cannot work due to disability then fine. But if you can get your ass out there and work, then you deserve zip for mthe government excpet perhaps some training. If you flunk out, then you are on your own. I had recruits who were just plain fu^^ing lazy. I changed that real quick. Sometimes, people need to get off their ass and work. This guy in La. seems to be a True Believer. Good for him!

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »
I barely got through high school, no drive, no ambition. Went inot the Corps at 18. Made a real man out of me. I am a true believer in hard work. I've done it my entire life and fu%&+ anyone who doesn't believe it makes you a better person. You cannot work due to disability then fine. But if you can get your ass out there and work, then you deserve zip for mthe government excpet perhaps some training. If you flunk out, then you are on your own. I had recruits who were just plain fu^^ing lazy. I changed that real quick. Sometimes, people need to get off their ass and work. This guy in La. seems to be a True Believer. Good for him!

So, people who can work deserve nothing from the government. Yet, you admit in your own paragraph that you owe everything to the government, or have you forgotten that the Marine Corps is a part of the Federal Government, and every paycheck you received came from the taxpayers? Moreover, the Federal Government "made a man out of [you]."

You seem to have a Janus problem.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »
"...it doesn't fit the proper template"

agreed SIRS
if this guy was a democrat he would be fawned over like Obama
he doesn't fit the "bill moyers fawn over" template
i hope the new governor shakes it up down there

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 11:23:40 AM »

So, people who can work deserve nothing from the government. Yet, you admit in your own paragraph that you owe everything to the government, or have you forgotten that the Marine Corps is a part of the Federal Government, and every paycheck you received came from the taxpayers? Moreover, the Federal Government "made a man out of [you]."

You seem to have a Janus problem.

I WORKED for my pay and I expect other able-bodied folks to do the same. No contradiction there!

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
I WORKED for my pay and I expect other able-bodied folks to do the same. No contradiction there!

Who says they don't?

You realize that Ronnie's welfare queen was a lie? That person never existed in reality, only in the mind of Atwater and political adverts.

Who are all these people supposedly not working and being paid for it?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 11:31:21 AM »
Let's get back to the article. Is this gentlemen getting elected a watershed? Deos it signify pluralism or some momentus event? Who might it frighten and whom might it embolden?

Is this a signal that hard-working immigrants can succeed in all sectors of our society?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

Who says they don't?

You realize that Ronnie's welfare queen was a lie? That person never existed in reality, only in the mind of Atwater and political adverts.

Who are all these people supposedly not working and being paid for it?

The point is that hard work is advocated by this guy. Is anyone really afraid of that concept? I don't care for shit where he is from as long as he does the job he is paid to do well. This concept should extend throughout our society. Folks don't wanna work and are able to, then they get ZIP. They want training, great! Pass the courses. Don't mind the Government setting training programs up as long as they are effective. I DO have problems with people being lazy and mooching. Those homeless shelters you were at, are these folks hard-workers just down on their luck? If so, let's train 'em up! If they are not willing, then sobeit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »

I should have known the point would be way over your head.

Not at all,

Au contraire, you did not get it and the rest of your post proves it.

Proves apparently how you didn't have a comeback in trying to illogically conect what Jindal said to your open borders mantra

I too support an ending to quotas, that we shouldn't respond to every problem with a Government program,, that America is the Greatest & that here anyone can succeed.  Yet somehow you took perfectly articulated conservative principles and attached it to the immigration debate with verbal duct tape, & some twisted conclusion in a ruination of this country.  How the hell do you pull from what Governor-elect Jindal said to how it would "let in too many immigrants"?? 

You're amusing sometimes. And if anyone else were questioning what I said, I might explain, but you've proven explaining anything to you is a waste of time. So I'll just let you continue making unintentionally ironic tirades for now.

The fact that you haven't makes it pretty transparent in how you apparently haven't had enough time to come up with the appropriate rationalization effort, I'm guessing.  But don't mind me, your words (or lack there-of, in this case) already have spoken for themselves
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:41:20 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »
The point is that hard work is advocated by this guy. Is anyone really afraid of that concept? I don't care for shit where he is from as long as he does the job he is paid to do well. This concept should extend throughout our society. Folks don't wanna work and are able to, then they get ZIP. They want training, great! Pass the courses. Don't mind the Government setting training programs up as long as they are effective. I DO have problems with people being lazy and mooching. Those homeless shelters you were at, are these folks hard-workers just down on their luck? If so, let's train 'em up! If they are not willing, then sobeit.

They come from very different backgrounds. Some have alcohol and drug problems, some have mental health problems. Some have a very difficult time finding work because they have felonies on their record. It isn't as simple as "some are lazy let them starve."

And trust me, they don't get much if any government services, except the few the vets get. So your tax dollars are nice and safe. You should feel vindicated.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »

They come from very different backgrounds. Some have alcohol and drug problems, some have mental health problems. Some have a very difficult time finding work because they have felonies on their record. It isn't as simple as "some are lazy let them starve."

And trust me, they don't get much if any government services, except the few the vets get. So your tax dollars are nice and safe. You should feel vindicated.

Well, for the drugges, etc., have they been in any Govt-sponsored programs to stop that crap? If they have and have passed, thne ;let's train 'em up andf get 'em to work. If they fail, oh well. I'm all for Govt programs for first offenders. Hey, people screw up! After that, though, they are on their own! Realistically, how long do you expect to "carry" them, their entire lives? Gimme a break.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 12:00:19 PM »
Let's get back to the article. Is this gentlemen getting elected a watershed? Deos it signify pluralism or some momentus event? Who might it frighten and whom might it embolden?

Is this a signal that hard-working immigrants can succeed in all sectors of our society?

A watershed? Maybe. He isn't the first of Indian origin to be elected in the United States. He gave up his Hinduism to become a Catholic. He does have a very impressive academic background, I must say.

In all sectors of society? Absolutely not. He was not from a working class background by any means. When you arrive with the means then it isn't a far stretch that you are in a good position to do well.

I'd say he is a huge lift for the Republicans though. There big force in Louisiana before Jindal was David Vitter and he turned from man of the future to massive embarassment when his prostitution visits became public knowledge. My guess is that Jindal will find Louisiana politics tougher than he thinks, but he's a much better investment for the GOP than Vitter ever was. Jindal is a PR coup and he's not caught up in the "values voter" crap that Vitter was. Plus, I doubt Jindal will have those skeletons in his closet anyway.

He was mostly an ineffective Congressman because he generally just didn't show up to vote.

He'll be an interesting one to watch, for sure.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »
Well, for the drugges, etc., have they been in any Govt-sponsored programs to stop that crap? If they have and have passed, thne ;let's train 'em up andf get 'em to work. If they fail, oh well. I'm all for Govt programs for first offenders. Hey, people screw up! After that, though, they are on their own! Realistically, how long do you expect to "carry" them, their entire lives? Gimme a break.

No one is "carrying" them. This particular shelter is sponsored primarily by local Catholic churches. Some of them have been involved with drugs and alcohol since they were 10, some younger.

No worries, you're safe on your high horse.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster