Author Topic: Should be big time media news.........but then again  (Read 9432 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Should be big time media news.........but then again
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »
You realize that Ronnie's welfare queen was a lie? That person never existed in reality.

That exact person may not have existed, but that isn't even important.
Whats it matter if the welfare queen is named Mary, John, Alberto, or Liekeesha?
Thats not the point.
What is important is that "welfare queens" are a reality.

only in the mind of Atwater and political adverts. Who are all these people supposedly not working and being paid for it?

Are you actually denying there is enormous welfare fraud in our country? Pretending it's all a lie started by Lee Atwater?

Maybe you should contact the LA District Attorney's office(and 1000's of other agencies) who has the following on their website.
(Tell them "it's a lie" and doesn't exist in reality)

"Welfare fraud is a serious crime that threatens millions of public dollars. It is committed by individuals fraudulently receiving benefits and by public employees stealing from within the system. In both cases, these criminals who cheat the welfare system cheat more than a government agency. They cheat society of much needed resources and taxpayers of their hard-earned money.

http://da.co.la.ca.us/wf/default.htm

In 2000 alone New York City had 40,000 welfare cases that were on its rolls that should not have been there,
whether the product of conscious fraud or semi-unconscious inadvertence.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
Would you like to know the number of students in my classes from overseas who complain that American students are lazy and we have forgotten hard work?

==================================
I would imagine most foreign students say this. Foreign students in the US are an intellectual elite of the places they come from, in most of which only a select few are permitted to complete pre-university studies.

This is especially true of students from ex-colonies, such as Trinidad, Jamaica, BVI, the US VI, the Bahamas, etc.

The American students have not 'forgotten how to work hard' they have NEVER worked hard, at least about 80% of them.

I teach Spanish. I always have about 4 to 10 or so students out of a total of around 90 that refuse to buy the book. They are not sharing a book, they do not even have one in class. It is a good book and comes with CD's.

Invariably, they fail miserably. They have nothing to study, and can't and don't. They will only rarely photocopy pages.
I call on every student pretty much every day. If they ask "what page are we on' and have no book, I give them a 0 and pass them by. And still they will not at least photocopy the pages.

They pay or borrow or are granted $1300 or more to take the class and refuse to buy a $50 used book.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
Is welfare fraud real? Of course.

Did a welfare queen exist who drove a cadillac and defrauded the government of hundreds of thousands of dollars? No.

Link
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
JS, these type of activities should be sponsored by churches and civic organizations as they used to be, instead of massive infusions of Government cash.

Thanks for the condescending attitude. I needed that.

Asshole.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:34:41 PM by Mr_Perceptive »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 02:33:25 PM »
Js does like to impliment the aura of guilt, when not exercising his superior understanding of the "complexities" of issues.  He means well, though......I think
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
LOL...
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »

The New York Times refuted the idea that the "Welfare Queen" woman was "made up", but rather that the case of Linda Taylor was exaggerated. She was charged, not with using 80 aliases, but rather four, and the amount the state is charging that she defrauded, was not $150,000 but rather $8,000. She was ultimately found guilty of "welfare fraud and perjury" in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »
The New York Times refuted the idea that the "Welfare Queen" woman was "made up", but rather that the case of Linda Taylor was exaggerated. She was charged, not with using 80 aliases, but rather four, and the amount the state is charging that she defrauded, was not $150,000 but rather $8,000. She was ultimately found guilty of "welfare fraud and perjury" in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.

This is from a Wikipedia article - also, that article confirms that she did have a Cadillac and similar incidents to those described by Reagan have also occurred:

Other cases of welfare fraud include Barbara Williams who was sentenced to eight-years for defrauding Los Angeles County out of $239,000 and Dorothy Woods who claimed 38 non-existent children.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »

Capitalism is simply a tool. Like a hammer, it can be used for ill or good.

I agree. And when used properly, it can do an awful lot of good.

If you lived here in Miami, you would see what unrestricted borders mean.

It means that young college graduates cannot find a decent job with a health plan.
It means that illegals are preferred for the truly crappy jobs, because they don't complain if they are paid less than the minimum wage and thrown out on whatever whim strikes the employer.
It means that the poverty of the Third World is right here, surrounding us everywhere.
There are beggars and panhandlers hanging out in front of every store.
People sleeping under the highway overpasses, legions of people roaming about pushing grocery carts full of their belongings.

What you and some other people are not quite grasping is that open borders and/or substantially relaxing restrictions on immigration does not mean more illegal immigrants who have to hide and work for less than minimum wage. It means more legal immigrants who will be able expect at least minimum wage, and who, because they won't have to hide from law enforcement, will be able to do something about mistreatment by employers. I'm not saying it will solve every problem, but it won't be this massive importation of the third world any more than immigration of poor people back during the early and middle part of the 20th century ruined the country.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »

Would you like to know the number of students in my classes from overseas who complain that American students are lazy and we have forgotten hard work? Have we?

No, I don't believe we have. In our schools though, I can understand the complaint, because many (not all) of our students have gotten used to getting by on the least amount of work. Why that might be is a topic for a different discussion at a different time.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »

"I'm against all quotas, all set-asides," he says. "America is the greatest. We got ahead by hard work. We shouldn't respond to every problem with a government program. Here, anyone can succeed."

I keep saying that, but for some reason people keep telling me that will only lead to the ruination of the country. Something about it would let in too many immigrants...

I rarely have that issue. Unlike full-timers like YOU, I can flunk whomever I want for whatever I want (basically). I simply don't listen to whinig. Do the work and get the grade, otherwise drop the course.

Would you like to know the number of students in my classes from overseas who complain that American students are lazy and we have forgotten hard work? Have we?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »

Proves apparently how you didn't have a comeback in trying to illogically conect what Jindal said to your open borders mantra

[...]

The fact that you haven't makes it pretty transparent in how you apparently haven't had enough time to come up with the appropriate rationalization effort, I'm guessing.  But don't mind me, your words (or lack there-of, in this case) already have spoken for themselves

You still don't get it. And you're trying to claim victory anyway. You make me laugh. The connection between the content of what Jindal said and my position on immigration is neither irrational nor obscure. And it requires no rationalization. The connection is actually quite obvious. I have no intention at all of wasting my time explaining it to you. Here, I'll post it again, and you see if you can figure it out.

"I'm against all quotas, all set-asides," he says. "America is the greatest. We got ahead by hard work. We shouldn't respond to every problem with a government program. Here, anyone can succeed."

I keep saying that, but for some reason people keep telling me that will only lead to the ruination of the country. Something about it would let in too many immigrants...

Oh, and if my lack of explaining says anything, it says I've learned the lesson that explaining anything to you is a complete waste of time and effort. Explaining every last detail to you 25+ times to you, and you still not getting what I said, and then you lying about what I said, no, not really wanting a repeat of that. Watching you insist you got it when you haven't a clue is much more fun and certainly less stressful.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »
Repeating a post MINUS the required explanation of how you illogically connect A <--> B does zip to explain how you connected A <--> B.  But if you can't, perhaps someone else will step up to the microphone, and let us all in on this dazzling point
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
As much as I should probably stay away from this, I just hate when people cannot communicate.

Sirs, I think Prince's point is most evident in the last sentence in the quote above by Jindal.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »

Repeating a post MINUS the required explanation of how you illogically connect A <--> B does zip to explain how you connected A <--> B.  But if you can't, perhaps someone else will step up to the microphone, and let us all in on this dazzling point

Beautiful. Perhaps you'll remember that little complaint next time someone asks you questions in an attempt to get you to explain your position.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:48:40 PM by Universe Prince »