Author Topic: common-sense variety of multiculturalism  (Read 6166 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
common-sense variety of multiculturalism
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »
THE HOWARD GOVERNMENT ISN'T MINCING WORDS:

AUSTRALIA'S Muslim leaders have been "read the riot act" over the need to denounce any links between Islam and terrorism.  The Howard Government's multicultural spokesman, Andrew Robb, yesterday told an audience of 100 imams who address Australia's mosques that these were tough times requiring great personal resolve.

Mr Robb also called on them to shun a victim mentality that branded any criticism as discrimination.

"We live in a world of terrorism where evil acts are being regularly perpetrated in the name of your faith," Mr Robb said at the Sydney conference

"And because it is your faith that is being invoked as justification for these evil acts, it is your problem

You can't wish it away, or ignore it, just because it has been caused by others
"Instead, speak up and condemn terrorism, defend your role in the way of life that we all share here in Australia."

We need more of this common-sense variety of multiculturalism.

http://instapundit.com/archives/032611.php

The_Professor

Re: common-sense variety of multiculturalism
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
Sounds pragmatic and direct. Too bad that others do not follow this strategem, BT.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:41:42 PM »
but he`s right
unless the news has been surpressing it big time.
the muslim comminity hasn`t been very vocal about they`re support to anti-terrorism.
we only hear about the rights violation,but nothing about getting our troops back .
I only hear fron one man talk against it and of course he`s supersmart.
never hear of a non-smart muslim on tv.
he stated don`t go after bin ladin go after (list of names)they`re the real guys in charge.

he said in detail how to take care of this and I haven`t heard from this man since.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:00:09 PM »
I don't like any situation where a politician tells religious leaders what to say to their followers.  I  like it even less when the religion is a minority one and its practitioners are mostly members of a visible minority.  What's going to happen for example if they DON'T preach the government line?

And specifically with regard to the Muslims, they are between a rock and a hard place.  While the West is invading their homelands and killing tens of thousands, and has been robbing, exploiting and ripping them off for decades, they are expected to suddenly start denouncing Muslim extremist reaction to the crimes of the West?  Why not just denounce the crimes of the West since those are the crimes by which they as individuals are the most directly victimized?  If they in fact did as that Ozzie fascist ordered them to do, they'd lose all credibility with their own congregations and come across as sell-outs and cowards.  What self-respecting religious leader would want to put himself in that position?

I think the government - - any government - - should just stay the hell away from religion.  They have no business at all telling the churches or mosques what to preach.  I thought that kind of stuff went out with Nazi Germany.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »
Michael, it's back in style, especially here in Ohio. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:07:25 AM »
I don't like any situation where a politician tells religious leaders what to say to their followers.  I  like it even less when the religion is a minority one and its practitioners are mostly members of a visible minority.  What's going to happen for example if they DON'T preach the government line?

[][][][][][][][]
Exactly what is now happening in the US nothing really , President Bush has done a phenominal job of directing American anger at overseas targets and we havent had a repeat of the incarceration of the foreigners like WWII.
[][][][][][][][][]

And specifically with regard to the Muslims, they are between a rock and a hard place.  While the West is invading their homelands and killing tens of thousands, and has been robbing, exploiting and ripping them off for decades, they are expected to suddenly start denouncing Muslim extremist reaction to the crimes of the West?  Why not just denounce the crimes of the West since those are the crimes by which they as individuals are the most directly victimized?  If they in fact did as that Ozzie fascist ordered them to do, they'd lose all credibility with their own congregations and come across as sell-outs and cowards.  What self-respecting religious leader would want to put himself in that position?

[][][][][][][][][][]
What exactly was being ripped off of whom that justified the 9-11 attack?
What is still being ripped off that makes Al Queda so eager to repeat it?
[][][][][][][][][][]

I think the government - - any government - - should just stay the hell away from religion.  They have no business at all telling the churches or mosques what to preach.  I thought that kind of stuff went out with Nazi Germany.

[][][][][][][][][][][]
This opinion would mark you for death in some Muslim countrys but not the US or Canada , yet.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:55:27 AM »

Who's telling who what to preach?   ???   Specifics please
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 01:10:51 PM »
They have no business at all telling the churches or mosques what to preach.  I thought that kind of stuff went out with Nazi Germany.

Care to give us an historical background on the Nazis instructing the churches on what they could and could not preach?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.