Author Topic: Only Bigots oppose the Mosque....right?  (Read 6014 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Only Bigots oppose the Mosque....right?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
I agree with BT.
The US government should not pressure anyone not to build. The decision should be entirely up to the Muslims. It might turn out to have been a bad idea, and certainly the main opposition is coming from the narrow-minded hicktown yokels, who do not deserve to get their way. But I can see where it could do more harm than good to the Muslims, so I am all for them deciding this entirely on their own.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
Ahhh, see Miss Henny...now you're a narrow-minded yokel hick bigot.  See how much we have in common.....with Senator Reid, and Howard Dean?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
See Miss Henny, you're a bigot apparently.  Couldn't possibly be the location of this Mosque, or the epidemic outrage its bringing about from a vast majority of the country, when its supposedly to bring about an opposite state of mind.  No, deep down, you must be a bigot.

And it really requires this Imam to "dig in", take a "principled stand", and demand tolerance & sensitivity, dammit.

I never called Henny a bigot, but i do believe she brings a unique perspective to the debate. And if her son is Muslim, i doubt she would want him treated as a second class citizen because of the actions of a man neither her son nor the Iman in question had any control over. But if you think that is the appropriate way to treat her son, you should simply say so.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
Interesting.....Henny gives a reasoned and well understood rationale as to why she vehemently opposes the current location of the proposed Mosque, and all is well.  I've given a consistently similar reasoning, and I'm branded as a bigot, as prejudiced, and as treating Muslims as 2nd class citizens.

So, you're claiming that's what Miss Henny is doing, in her opposition??  How is her and mine opposition different?

And I have to admire your advocation that this Imam make a principled stand, and keep pushing to build a center in a location that'll bring about precisely the opposite reaction and mind set than its supposed intended purpose.  Must stick it to those Americans....I mean stick to those principles
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
Look your case against the Iman has no merit. He is not guilty for the actions of others. And because it has no merit the arguments against the Mosque have no merit. And yes if I were him i would build it, because to cave to the opposition, means their argument has merit.

Whether you are prejudiced is for you to determine.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
Lemme try that question again

Is Miss Henny referring to Muslims as 2nd class citizens, in her vehement opposition of the proposed Mosque.  Is Miss Henny a bigot?, prejudiced?

Inquiring minds, and all

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
I am 100% against the Ground Zero Mosque.

Regardless of the intentions - even if it is not meant to be a hostile or provocative statement - it is nothing short of rubbing salt in the wound. Moreover, it's plain STUPID. It's begging for trouble - anger, vandalism - you name it. And the builders MUST know that.

However, I take it one step further - I go with what I've read by the Center for Inquiry on this topic - to deny Muslims the right to build a mosque wherever they like IS very un-American. Simple solution - do not allow ANY house of worship for ANY faith to build in the district. No mosques... but no churches, synagogues or temples either. Problem solved.

She said the builders were stupid. She also said that she agrees that to deny the Mosque is un-American. She also said the way to solve the problem is to have the government ban all religious symbols, churches, mosques, synagogues, etc from the district. which probably would not stand muster in court if challenged. But i believe her larger point was that she wanted all religions treated equally.

She can elaborate on why she thinks building the mosque is stupid.

I don't know if Henny is prejudiced, bigoted or whatever. I never got that impression from exchanges with her all these years. I see no need to lump her in with others who disagree. In fact that seems to be a major difference in mindset between you and I.

And she never expressed sympathy with the idea that the mosque is a symbol of the religion behind the attack on the WTC or that the religion shares guilt with Bin Laden.

She didn't post the Buchanan article excusing prejudice. I believe that was you.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
So do I.....want all religions treated equally.  At no point have I argued otherwise.  I even went into painstaking detail how this is not a 1st amendment issue, that Muslims have just as much right to eat, sleep, pray, and build to their heart's content, where ever they legally can.  In other words, equivalent to what Miss Henny has referenced.

It's a judgement issue, and terrible location issue, and that gets me branded a bigot, intolerant to Muslims, treating them as 2nd class citizens, but nothing of the sort of proclaimations made about her, despite a nearly identical rationale provided.

Me thinks there's a bit of pre-judging, on your part going on here.  Dare I say, prejudiced even?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
Only you know whether you are prejudiced and or bigoted. Look into your heart.
What i say or what you think i say about you really doesn't matter.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
Ahh, well then, I didn't realize it was that easy.  The answer would be no

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »
The answer would be no

To what question?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Apparently there was a question of if I was being bigoted or prejudiced in my opposition of a Mosque being built in such close proximity to where thousands were murdered in the name of that religion, and how such a location would create the polar opposite of its supposed intentions.

The answer would be no

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:19 PM »
Apparently there was a question of if I was being bigoted or prejudiced in my opposition of a Mosque being built in such close proximity to where thousands were murdered in the name of that religion, and how such a location would create the polar opposite of its supposed intentions.

The answer would be no

Well there ya go. I'm sure the Iman will take your opposition into consideration as he goes about his daily business.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
We shall see.  We'll get a good opportunity to see if he wishes to practice what he preaches, vs just telling everyone to go pound sand

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
We'll get a good opportunity to see if he wishes to practice what he preaches, vs just telling everyone to go pound sand

Who is everyone? Is there like a list he could get so he doesn't miss anyone?