Author Topic: Ties directly to Nancy Pelosi and the Minimum wage  (Read 5440 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ties directly to Nancy Pelosi and the Minimum wage
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:00:34 AM »
But at the same time foreign demand for cheap Chinese exports has continued rising, causing China’s foreign exchange reserves to break through the $1 trillion mark earlier this year.

That in turn has fuelled an investment boom which, if left unchecked, the government fears could lead to an overheating of the economy and a dangerous slump.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/80F93042-A26E-4653-B461-99810C75E14F.htm

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Ties directly to Nancy Pelosi and the Minimum wage
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »
How is this tied to "Nancy Plosi and the minimum wage"?

The argument is not to give the poorest workers in the USA a raise so as to avoid inflation in China?

Isn't that a rather dumb argument?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »
How is this tied to "Nancy Plosi and the minimum wage"?

The argument is not to give the poorest workers in the USA a raise so as to avoid inflation in China?

Isn't that a rather dumb argument?

Why no , what we are doing is exporting more jobs to China , all of the jobs that presently produce six dollars an hour will son be packed up and shipped to China where such an income is more appreaciated.

Why do you care if China has inflation?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:05:43 AM »
FLASH! The minimum wage jobs in the US are not factory jobs. Most of them have already left. The $6.00 an hour jobs are bussing tables, cleaning hotel rooms, babysitting children, domestic servants, restocking store shelves, bagging groceries and flipping burgers.

Do you have some idea how such jobs would be exported to China?  Your hamburgers might get cold if they had to be shipped from China. Shipping US hotel rooms overseas would be a bit more expensive than hiring Americans.

I did not express any position on inflation in China. That was your complaint.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:34:39 AM »
FLASH! The minimum wage jobs in the US are not factory jobs. Most of them have already left. The $6.00 an hour jobs are bussing tables, cleaning hotel rooms, babysitting children, domestic servants, restocking store shelves, bagging groceries and flipping burgers.

Do you have some idea how such jobs would be exported to China?  Your hamburgers might get cold if they had to be shipped from China. Shipping US hotel rooms overseas would be a bit more expensive than hiring Americans.

I did not express any position on inflation in China. That was your complaint.

All of our work is interrelated  , if what is paid for bussing tables rises above what it costs to hire an engineer , engineers will demand more money elese they will get table bussing jobs.

Jobs across borders have a simular relationship , if there are more engineers working in Shanghai , they will need more cooks in Shanghai, and more table boys.

Artificially raiseing our wages is like putting up a rope between the smokeing and the nonsmokeing area .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »
FLASH! The minimum wage jobs in the US are not factory jobs. Most of them have already left.

So why the big rush to increase the minimum wage by the Dems if it won't affect very many jobs?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »
I did not say that the minimum wage does not affect a lot of people. It does, and they are the ones who need it most.

I said that it does not affect any manufacturing jobs or other jobs that would be exported to China. Pretty much all the jobs that can be exported to China have already been exported.

There is ABSOLUTELY no coorrelation between busboys and engineers until busboys' wages rise to more than those earned by engineers, which will never happen, unless there is no demand for engineers.

Raising the US minimum wages  will not raise or lower wages for anyone not earning the minimum wage.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:51:21 PM »
Pretty much all the jobs that can be exported to China have already been exported.

Not true. Job exports to other countries continues.

Raising the US minimum wages  will not raise or lower wages for anyone not earning the minimum wage.

Again, not true. Raising the minimum wage will increase the cost of every service or product produced with minimum wage labor. This increased cost will require cost of living raises for all other professions.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 11:23:05 PM »
Pretty much all the jobs that can be exported to China have already been exported.

Not true. Job exports to other countries continues.

Again, not true. Raising the minimum wage will increase the cost of every service or product produced with minimum wage labor. This increased cost will require cost of living raises for all other professions.

That is right , with no exceptions.

I myself am a landlord , I havent raised the rent on the house in six years, I would tho if I needed to , how long after the Mini wage raise should I wait?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »
==================================================================
It will?

Can you prove it? You are always asking for proof, and yet, curiously, you offer none.

If costs raise, why are cost of living increases not justified?

Productivity has outstripped both wages and the cost of living. Rents here in Miami are up 20% or more since 2003.
Wages are barely up at all.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »
It will?

Yes.

Can you prove it? You are always asking for proof, and yet, curiously, you offer none.

Why, I'll use your standard of proof: It's OBVIOUS. See next comment.

If costs raise, why are cost of living increases not justified?

Thank you for restating my point. Minimum wage increases will increase costs, causing other wages to rise. Therefore, it will increase the wages for those earning above the minimum wage as well.

Rents here in Miami are up 20% or more since 2003.
Wages are barely up at all.

Housing is about 20-25% of your cost of living. So, a rent increase of 20% amounts to a cost of living increase of <=5%. Spread over 3 years, that amounts to about 1.5% a year. Wages (via merit increases) increased in Florida by over 3% last year. (Documented here.)