Author Topic: Interesting........Gold is up 30% so far this year.  (Read 4540 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Interesting........Gold is up 30% so far this year.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
http://www.pppnet.org/pdf/crs._1099.pdf

Learn something.

I think the point of the piece has alreadly prompted some learning, but the added link hopefully helps the more ignorant.  It's beyond crappy legislation.  And yea, who the hell inserted this into Obamacare?  How on earth is it related to healthcare, outside of the point being made since the onset, that of continuing insidious efforts by this administration to regulate and micromanage more and more of this country's functional components, and bury such into legislation that legislators have no time to read

I hope we don't have to explain the cooking the frog analogy again
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Couple of points:
This legislation is not intended to control the sale of gold coins etc. specifically as Sowell would have us believe. It covers any transfer of goods from one individual to another worth a value of more than $600.00
The legislation also affirmed that corporations are subject to the same regulations as an individual. So if I buy more than $600 worth of software from Microsoft in a given year i have to file a 1099 declaring those purchases to the IRS. Presumably the IRS will cross check against Microsoft revenue declarations. What it is is just another onerous reporting requirement that cuts into business profits because of the additional costs associated with these filings.

As to your second point about hiding these little gems in larger pieces of legislation, i grant that in a perfect world that would not happen. Unfortunately this practice has been going on for as long as i have been following government and that goes back to the 60's. This is nothing new. It happens with GOP controlled legislative bodies as well.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
This is no big deal: all you have to do is enter the expense with your software program and it spits out whatever reports are required. And it has zip to do with restrictions on buying gold, as that dipshit Sowell seems to have claimed.

The goal is to eliminate tax cheats. I am unimpressed with all the outrage.

Hooray for Obama!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
This is no big deal

Of course it isn't.  Government encroaching more and more of individuals, is a liberal's pipe dream.  Nothing wrong with that. 

all you have to do is enter the expense with your software program and it spits out whatever reports are required. And it has zip to do with restrictions on buying gold, as that dipshit Sowell seems to have claimed.

The DS is you, since Sowell never made such a claim.  That's been your bag all along.  But by all means, continue to perpetuate the falsehood

The goal is to eliminate tax cheats. I am unimpressed with all the outrage.

If that were the "goal", why was it buried in a 2000piece of crap healthcare legislation, that had nothing to do with healthcare??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
The DS is you, since Sowell never made such a claim.  That's been your bag all along.  But by all means, continue to perpetuate the falsehood

He certainly wrote and you emphasizing of portions of the article implies that restriction on gold sales was what that portion of the bill was about. It wasn't.

But what is clear is that the Obama administration sees people's freedom to buy and sell gold as something that can limit what the government can do.

Indeed, freedom in general cramps the government's style. Those on the left may not be against freedom in general. But, at every turn, they find the freedoms granted by the Constitution of the United States hampering the left's agenda of imposing their superior wisdom and virtue on the rest of us.

The desire to restrain or control the buying and selling of gold is just one of the many signs of the inherent conflict between the freedom of the individual and the left's attempts to control our lives...

Sneaking a provision on gold purchases and sales into massive legislation that is supposedly about medical care is just one of the many cynical tricks used to circumvent the public's right to know how they are being governed.

The bill doesn't even mention gold sales.

I agree the bundling of diparate bills into one big one is a bad practice if government is to be transparent, but the fact remains that this practice has been in place for quite a while and to single out Obama and the Dems as if they invented the practice is partisan bullshit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
Did you note what I "emphasized"?  Hint, it was the areas that were....emphasized, either in bold or by red.

at every turn, they find the freedoms granted by the Constitution of the United States hampering the left's agenda of imposing their superior wisdom and virtue on the rest of us.....Sneaking a provision on gold purchases and sales into massive legislation that is supposedly about medical care is just one of the many cynical tricks used to circumvent the public's right to know how they are being governed

The bill does mention precisely the point being made, as "emphasized" from the beginning      ::)     When I have time, I'll start that thread about the frog and the boiling vs heated pot.  Apparently it's analogy is needed

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »
Before you go off topic with frogs and boiling water, perhaps you can show me what specific portion of the bill mentions gold sales. Because that sure seems to be what Sowell and you are saying, else why mention gold in the first place and place it in a thread about gold?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
Perhaps you can tell me what gold regulations are doing in a healthcare bill 1st, since that's largely the crux of this issue?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
Perhaps you can show me where gold regulations specifically are in the bill, before we wander off to the why's and wherefores.

Then again perhaps you can show me how inserting seemingly unrelated legislation into major legislation is something new.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
Being that the legislation is 2000+ pages long, and being that the 1st google search provided a plethora of posts, completely unrelated to Sowell, confirming precisely the issue at hand, I'd say the answer to your 1st inquiry is tracking....specifically a Government mandate in tracking any gold and silver

The answer to your 2nd is a surprise, being that what was wrong before doesn't make it ok, now

Time for the frog now?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Neither gold nor silver is mentioned in the part of the bill posted.
It is an ancient practice to put a variety of different stuff in a bill. I imagine the Federalists did it.
Blaming the Democrats for doing this is absurd: every Congress has done this.
I fail to see how this is an encroachment on anyone's liberty, other than the liberty to keep crappy books.

You can stuff your damned frog where the Sun don't shine.
All you rightwingers ever do is complain, piss and moan.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
Time for the frog now?

Not quite yet.

Still need the part of the bill that mentions gold sales specifically.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
As an aside, for someone who complains voraciously about MSM bias and misreporting, you seem to be giving a pass to Sowell for his misrepresentation of the contents of the bill.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
For someone who has generally been pretty consistent in decrying wrong, regardless of from which party or ideology it comes from, its amazing the defensive indifference you're providing to Obama/Pelosi/Reid & Company for burying this piece of completely non-relevent healthcare mandates, within the body of a 2000+ page piece of Helathcare legislative crap

Sowell has misrepresented nothing of such, given the plethora of references indicating the same insidious placement of these non-healthcare Federal mandates, within a massive healthcare law

So you see....when you put a frog in a boiling pot (such as widespread restrictions of who can buy or sell gold), it's going to jump out immediately.  However if you put that frog in some less than warm water, and slowly turn up the heat (such as an insidiously slow application of mandates tracking gold), it's very likely that Frog, will have no clue he just was boiled to death

Do we need now also bring out the slipperly slope arguement?  It's not as accurate, but still can be applicable

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
Sowell has misrepresented nothing of such, given the plethora of references indicating the same insidious placement of these non-healthcare Federal mandates, within a massive healthcare law

Sure he did. He implied that the section specifically applies to gold sales and it does nothing of the kind. It could apply to plywood sales as easily as gold.

I can still sell Great grandpa's gold coin collection to CU4 with nary a piece of paperwork to accompany it and this nefarious insertion into the ObamaCare bill wouldn't apply.

So please explain to me why Sowell would expend multiple column inches to a problem that doesn't exist?

Now i know that coin dealers are up in arms about it because biz to biz transactions would be affected in 2012 and there is no better way to drum up business now than to infer onerous regulations coming down the pike later on.

Look what happened to ammo sales once Obama took office.

If i am reading this correctly, the people who really should be up in arms are folks who do a lot of business on ebay and other online storefronts. But my guess is they don't have a trade organization to lobby up outrage for them like rare metals dealers do.