Author Topic: Big government crushes American standard of living  (Read 2550 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Big government crushes American standard of living
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »

WOLF: Big government crushes American standard of living
Only the free market can navigate a true course toward success

By Dr. Milton R. Wolf

The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I am happy that Smith-Corona went bankrupt and that Western Union was forced to abandon its old business practices. If the government had bailed out these companies, we'd still be banging out papers on manual typewriters and communicating by telegram. Instead, the typewriter has been relegated to museums (and perhaps a few Birkenstock-wearing, hipster screenwriters offices somewhere) and messaging is done over phones that are smarter than the people who keep bailing out failing companies.

Actually, I'm indifferent to the success or failure of either of these particular companies, but I champion the free market- a meritocracy - that allows more efficient and effective methods or companies to earn our business. That a major corporation such as Smith-Corona couldn't marshal its enormous resources to stave off what some students like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Michael Dell could create in their dorm rooms and garages is fascinating but inconsequential to society. What's important is that the best ideas prevailed no matter whose they were while, just as importantly, less effective ideas, no matter how good they were in an earlier era, were set aside. This is the precise mechanism by which a nation?s standard of living is improved.

Ironically, it's the same politicians who talk the loudest about vague notions of change who want to stop this changeover to more effective methods and companies. Admittedly, it may be temporarily difficult for workers who once built fine typewriters to change, but unless Smith-Corona lets them go, how else will Dell find enough workers to build our computers? Surely we can agree that the workers are better off in a company that makes something we want rather than something we don't. And we're all better off typing with pixels rather than ink ribbons.

So who loses? The politicians who derive their power from picking winners and losers in their crony capitalist scheme. President Ronald Reagan, America's greatest president, according to a recent Gallup poll, said: "[G]overnment's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

President Obama, who, according to the same poll, tied with "no opinion," said: "Yes we can!" And spend he did.

Politicians started saying "too big to fail" when they should have said "too mismanaged to survive," and their massive bailouts created no-lose scenarios for ineffective businesses to take wild risks. Why wouldn't they? It's heads they win, tails the taxpayers lose. Meanwhile, our nation?s limited resources are being artificially directed away from the next generation of entrepreneurs like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Michael Dell.

So what did we get in return for all those bailouts? After the Government Motors takeover, GM last month sold only 608 of their heavily subsidized electric Obamamobiles. In 2009, when Cash for Clunkers spent, according to the automotive website Edmunds.com, $24,000 per car sold - to destroy working cars and subsidize replacements - the auto industry recorded its worst sales numbers in 27 years. (In the interest of full disclosure, I should confess that I am the only doctor in America who drives a car that has been officially declared a clunker by his own cousin-in-chief, and it runs great.) And now, after the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bailouts, house sales and foreclosures are both moving in exactly the wrong directions.

Mr. Obama cleverly shifted his language from bailouts to "winning the future" with calls for still more spending, but these are, of course, two sides of the same coin. His lack of imagination traps him in the mistaken belief that new innovations flow from government largesse. With soaring rhetoric in his State of the Union Address, he spoke of Thomas Edison's light bulb, the Wright Brothers? airplane and even modern-day Google and Facebook and said, "Our government has provided cutting-edge scientists and inventors with the support that they need," but it didn't cross his teleprompter that none of the innovators he cited needed government welfare.

Think about it. When was the last time someone had to be bribed to buy an iPhone
or a Ford F-series pickup or a Big Mac? Good products and services follow the "Field of Dreams" rule: If you build it, they will come. Meanwhile, every bailout, stimulus, targeted tax break, subsidy and even "protective" tariff are all forms of crony corporate welfare that are attempts to bribe you with your own money to buy whatever the government busybodies think you need. On the eve of a national ban on Edison's incandescent wonder, big-government types who call themselves "pro-choice" don't think you're smart enough to choose even your own light bulb without them.

An epic collision course has now been set. The Obama administration's big-government spenders just revealed that, last month alone, they spent an alarming eight times their incoming revenue. Now Rep. Paul Ryan, Wisconsin Republican and chairman of the House Budget Committee, and the Republicans have unveiled a new budget with $6 trillion in government spending cuts over the next decade to redirect those resources back to the private sector where they belong.

Government spending, with all its dismal results, crowds out private-sector spending where true innovation occurs and where real jobs are created. As we free the market, some companies will do well and others won't, but this is how we redirect our limited resources to where they can be most effective, and that's precisely how our standard of living improves. It also means that some of us will have to change how we do things. That may not be easy, but if generations before us had been afraid to change, we'd still be using the horse-drawn plow and Morse code. Are we lesser Americans than they?

Let's start with this simple concept: Every business should pay its own bills. The free market won't be free - and neither will we - until businesses are free to succeed and also free to fail.

Dr. Milton R. Wolf, a Washington Times columnist, is a board-certified diagnostic radiologist and President Obama's cousin. He blogs at miltonwolf.com.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/6/big-government-crushes-american-standard-of-living/?page=1
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:31:12 PM by Christians4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Big government crushes American standard of living
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
actually my firm(i`ll bet all firms) still uses the type writer. computers simply are not as fast at writing a quick short letter or label.
of course it`s not used very much,but the demand is still there

I started with a manual,once you learn from that everything else is easy

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
i really doubt that kimba
most firms still regularly use a typewriter?
no way dude....
i would think only a tiny minority of companies in developed countries regularly use a typewriter anymore
and with each passing year it will become much more rare
speaking of typing I never took typing in school....and I became "one of the quickest
hunt and peck typist in the world
"..... from chat rooms and message boards!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
regularly-no
but still a demand for something quick

when all the printers are tied up it`ll do in a pinch

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
I thought very carefully before ditching my last typewriter, an IBM Selectric. I eventually told myself that if I had no use for in in two years, I would pitch it, and that is what happened. I gave it away to someone who said they needed it, actually.

I do not question that some businesses might have a need for a typewriter. They are useful for filing out forms, unless you can find the form online.

I just know that I have no real use for one.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »
I thought very carefully before ditching my last typewriter, an IBM Selectric. I eventually told myself that if I had no use for in in two years, I would pitch it, and that is what happened. I gave it away to someone who said they needed it, actually.

I do not question that some businesses might have a need for a typewriter. They are useful for filing out forms, unless you can find the form online.

I just know that I have no real use for one.

I've seen a lot of Selectrics in offices that are kept solely for printing labels for file folders each year.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
interesting

actually making label is a good idea for them

it`s abit of a headache matching the printer to the label sheet,typewriter is better suited for that.

once in a while we encounter a label thats not compatable with word

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
I love my desktop label maker
It's a Seiko smart label printer
makes a variety of sized labels
has a memory
i would say almost everybody at our office has one on their desk
for me it works much better & takes up way less space/less bulky than a type-writer
but 2EachHisOwn

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »
I`ve never seen one
in a law firm money is spent strangely. yes to catered food for business meetings,no to latest tyechnology til (we use office 2003)
our netywork is a shared systyem or xp & win7 this causes a 10 min. delay in printing. that typewriter is getting busy nowadays

we still have some records still in floppy ,but no 386 to read it.

the chance that every desk having a label maker is not gonna happen,but a typewriter for every branch is a reality

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
kimba i think you would really like the Seiko Smart Label

and yes some law firms can be crazy
we had a client with a real eccentric attorney working for them
he was brillant but so eccentric he mostly had to work from home
he was a night owl
he would call in massive food orders in the middle of the night
it would be 3AM and he would call in a request for a massive amount of pancakes
$60-$80 in pancakes alone
he would get all kinds of different pancakes and syrups
plus lots of coffee and bacon
total costs for food/delivery would be well over $150 for the midnight snack
and when we dropped it off he would always be alone in his tiny apt
he sometimes would do this 3 or 4 nights in a row while working on a big case
this guy was not obese...normal size guy
$60-$80 in pancakes is a lot of pancakes!
but i guess $150 midnight snacks are chump change relative to a 10 million dollar case!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:22 AM »
actually my firm(i`ll bet all firms) still uses the type writer. computers simply are not as fast at writing a quick short letter or label.
of course it`s not used very much,but the demand is still there

Not a single typewriter in the entire facility here. Nor in the last few places I worked. Haven't seen a typewriter since about 2003 or so.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
So "Christians" is in the all night pancake peddling business?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
So "Christians" is in the all night pancake peddling business?

well kinda
i am a busboy at Denny's on the graveyard shift
we sometimes gets busy when the bars close at 2AM

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
Not a single typewriter in the entire facility here. Nor in the last few places I worked. Haven't seen a typewriter since about 2003 or so.

then how do you type a quick letter confidentally???

our printers are shared

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »

then how do you type a quick letter confidentally??? --our printers are shared

wow....i dont think i have sent a snail-mail letter in years?
you still mail letters kimba?
i use e-mail or sometimes send a card, almost never a letter