Author Topic: Regarding the feasability of life without a state  (Read 13383 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Regarding the feasability of life without a state
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »

I would point out that the European nations do not imprison nearly as high a percentage of the population as we do, nor do they suffer from as high of a crime rate.

My first guess as to why that might be so is a difference in laws and law enforcement, but that is only a guess.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 02:38:41 PM »
I would point out that the European nations do not imprison nearly as high a percentage of the population as we do, nor do they suffer from as high of a crime rate.

And no, I can't point to one single reason why that's true. But you can walk down the streets of comparable sized European (and Canadian) cities without any worries.

Is this really Chicken and egg?

Or do high crime rates require high incarceration rates?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »
And no, I can't point to one single reason why that's true. But you can walk down the streets of comparable sized European (and Canadian) cities without any worries.

Of course, in the US you can walk around anywhere outside of the major urban centers and see less violence and crime than Europe.

The US crime rate is driven almost purely by urban violence in high population centers. Outside of these areas, the crime rate is virtually non-existant.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
My first guess as to why that might be so is a difference in laws and law enforcement, but that is only a guess.

Could be. Of course our laws, in general, developed from English common law, but the divergence since then is likely substantial. I'm not very knowledgable on law enforcement differences to be honest.

Of course, in the US you can walk around anywhere outside of the major urban centers and see less violence and crime than Europe.

The US crime rate is driven almost purely by urban violence in high population centers. Outside of these areas, the crime rate is virtually non-existant.

Perhaps, but Europe is far more urban than the United States and that still doesn't explain the difference in Canada, who has a massive rural and urban population.

Also, a bit of commonsense plays a part here too. For criminal activity one needs opportunity. For opportunity one likely needs other people nearby. Hence, urban areas will simply offer more opportunity in a far smaller area.

It is still interesting, to me, that crime is more of a problem here than there (and you're right that violent crime is especially much higher).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
canada is not all that crimeless
it`s just that the factors that causes crime is less.
remember more people can actually afford things in canada than the U.S.
while here people have  negative finances and more likely never will have money.
the majority of most crimes tend to be economic
canadians are not rich people ,but alot of us have homes
americans can`t exactly say that

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
canada is not all that crimeless
it`s just that the factors that causes crime is less.
remember more people can actually afford things in canada than the U.S.
while here people have  negative finances and more likely never will have money.
the majority of most crimes tend to be economic

Home ownership as a percentage of the population in the USA has been riseing for a long time , I don't think this is the diffrence.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »

Why can't Americans say that? A lot of Americans do have homes.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--