Author Topic: He finds it ironic  (Read 3229 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
He finds it ironic
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:18:53 PM »
Quote from a comment posted to patriotboy blogspot,
http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/

<<I find it truly ironic that the same people who claim not to trust some government bureaucrat to choose your doctor, or to manage your old age social insurance, will turn around and trust the government to identify who should be locked away, tortured, and never have the opportunity for a review in the light of day.>>

That's funny, I find that ironic too.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: He finds it ironic
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:26:03 PM »
Quote from a comment posted to patriotboy blogspot,
http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/

<<I find it truly ironic that the same people who claim not to trust some government bureaucrat to choose your doctor, or to manage your old age social insurance, will turn around and trust the government to identify who should be locked away, tortured, and never have the opportunity for a review in the light of day.>>

That's funny, I find that ironic too.

Would you favor a non governmental agency to take prisoners on the battlefeild , arrest suspects and babysit them through the war in prison?

There is precident , Pinkerton used to serve as the US espionage agency and presently Blackwater is often hired as a stop gap where it is hard to find an appropriate government agency.

There might be saveings for the government and increased oppurtunitys for profit if more war were contracted out.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:51:36 AM »
<<Would you favor a non governmental agency to take prisoners on the battlefeild , arrest suspects and babysit them through the war in prison?>>

Do you get that a government bureaucrat can now decide that YOU are an enemy combatant and have you snatched off the streets of your hometown for torture until you decide to give up your dark secrets?  The guy's point was that none of you rightwing types trusts the government to diaper a baby but for stuff like this, you are perfectly happy to hand over the hard-fought freedoms that Americans and generations of Englishmen before them fought and died for.

WHY this sudden trust that the government will not abuse THIS power, will not make mistakes here?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:58:48 AM »
I'm surprised patriotboy is against universal health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:06:45 AM »
I'm surprised patriotboy is against universal health care

Now, that's ironic      ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:07:15 AM »
I find it ironic that people who claim government should act like the parents of average citizens, teaching the citizens how to act and think while providing them with everything, are often the same people who, when government decides to do something they don't like, throw a hissy fit when government uses some variation of the "because I said so" excuse.

I find it ironic that folks who claim the average citizen is tricked and coerced by corporations and advertizing into buying things against his will, things like iPods or Big Macs or Nikes, are often the same folks who claim that average citizens should be choosing by majority vote who should run the government.

Not claiming to be describing anyone in particular, I'm just adding to the "what I find ironic" list.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
 <<find it ironic that folks who claim the average citizen is tricked and coerced by corporations and advertizing into buying things against his will, things like iPods or Big Macs or Nikes, are often the same folks who claim that average citizens should be choosing by majority vote who should run the government.>>

It's not ironic, it's just sad.  To paraphrase Winston Churchill, it's not a good idea to let them decide by majority vote, but all the other ideas turned out to be worse.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:59:13 PM »

It's not ironic, it's just sad.

It is indeed, though perhaps not in the way you mean.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, it's not a good idea to let them decide by majority vote, but all the other ideas turned out to be worse.

And as poorly as this one seems to be turning out, perhaps we need to rethink the whole matter of whether or not the idea of government is valid at all.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--