Author Topic: sci-fi survival question  (Read 860 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
sci-fi survival question
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:11:29 AM »
watched alittle falling sky today and it made me think whats the best thing to take from a store food wise. is canned food worth taking or too heavy

is the goal to get food that dont spoil?I`d think cereal would be too bulky

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: sci-fi survival question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
If there is no radiation, you would want to take powdered foods to which all you need to do is add water. Ramen noodles are as light and nutritious as anything on the shelves, but pasta, rice, beans, split peas and the like would certainly be useful.

And of course Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
Everything depends on the circumstances.

Cans last longer , but are indeed heavy.

Can the cashe be prepositioned? Or does it need to be portable?

A water filter is a good idea , and a cooking pot , and a rifle.

If the emergency is really going long term , you might even want some seed corn , don't get the hybrids, get the Heirloom seeds.

http://rareseeds.com/

http://www.seedsavers.org/

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
this is from the show falling sky so no radiation.most likely people need easily transportable food. in the show jericho salt is super important I wonder if this still applies.

yes it`s fiction,but this is still nice to know. think katrina

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
I don't think Katrina required people to buy seeds of any type.

========================================
The dumbest End-of-the-World film has to be the Book of Eli.
The acting, the camerawork, the props and effects were all just fine. But the plot was the dumbest thing imaginable.

The idea was that all of society could be rebuilt with just one special book, which Denzel manages to find and decided to take to San Francisco, which is the center of civilization. If the book falls into the Bad Guy's hands. The bad guy is named Carnegie, I suppose because he lives in what was once a library.

The book , of course, is the Bible. All the holy books were destroyed by vengeful maniacs in retribution for whatever plague it was that cause the destruction of civilization. Yeah, sure.

Turns out that the Bible (all one volume, conveniently) is in braille, so Carnegie cannot read it, and therefore he dies of a wound. Apparently the Bible provides advice about healing wounds. I did not know that.

The plot is hideously full of holes and inaccuracies. Braille books take up a LOT of space: the Braille letters must be finger-sized, and you can't emboss onion skin or other fine paper and still read it as Braille. There are no one-volume Braille Bibles.

I fail to see how the Bad Guy getting hold of the Bible and using it for evil purposes would prevent civilization from being rebuilt, but we are asked to believe this as well.

The other two books that are required to restore civilization are (of course) the Torah and the Koran. I would think that the Whole Earth Catalog would have been far more useful, but then the apparent Divine protection that Eli has to enable him to transport the Bible across the continent might not have been so easy to come by. At least they should have thrown in Confuscious, Lao-Tse and Buddha with the holy book collection.

And of course, we are to assume that the same Deity that protects Eli and his Bible from all the evil people (who seem to be everyone but Eli and Carnegie's blind girlfriend) was apparently around and omnipotent as ever when the Great Cataclysm struck.

And of course, we are to believe that in a world where damned near everyone is illiterate, EVERY Bible in the whole country would be destroyed except the special and impossible one-volume Braille Bible. Yeah, sure.

The happy ending consists of knowing that thousands of King James Bibles will be printed at the Printing Press in  (where else) Alcatraz.

A truly dumb plot.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »
hey!

I never notice in the majority of these types of movies very few actually farm. everybody is starving but nobody is trying to grow edible plants. at least waterworld is willing to pay for soil

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
The whole problem is that farming is not exciting.

You plant a seed and water it.
You wait.

A weed comes up, you pull it out.

You wait some more.

After several months, you have something you can eat, if the bugs don't eat it or it freezes or floods or fails to rain.
Occasionally, you might have to hurry to get the crop in before it rains, snows or freezes. That is as exciting as it gets.

Farming is boring. A steer might gore you, a billygoat might butt you, but a sheaf of wheat or a cabbage will never attack you. All it can do is die and then you slowly starve.

Not exciting.

=========================
That is what is wrong with Cuba. All the revolutionaries were city kids. All the kids grow up and they tell them to want to be like El Che. So they do. But the fighting is all over, no more Ches are actually needed.

Unfortunately, most of the inherent wealth of Cuba is in having fertile soil and two or three growing seasons. El Che did not know diddly about farming. Fidel left the farm and came to Havana in his teens, could not leave the farm fast enough.

Revolutions are inherently exciting, but farming is inherently boring.

So now Cuba imports most of the rice and beans from the US. They even import sugar and coffee, despite the fact that they used to export both in huge amounts.

Much of the farmland has turned to weeds, because the farmers cannot get paid a decent amount for their produce.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:57:21 PM »
boredom in the farm is a scarey thing. I know MANY people lose body parts in the farm that really shouldn`t be called accidents.
ex. hand with wart,6pack of beer & a shotgun. end result is missing middle finger. he still thinks it was a great idea afterwards.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
There is a good reason why farming is not a major occupation for movies. Boredom.

Sweet Land was a good film about farmers.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
also why people left the farm to work in the cities. You hear people say the big evil corporations took all the farm the poor farmers.But I lean toward farmers were abit more willing to sell then they lead-on

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
American culture is urban. If you live on the farm, you might not have water, electric, cable and DSL hook ups, and you are isolated from people. The outlay for modern machinery that you need to be competitive for many crops is high, and the technical training to maintain such equipment is increasingly difficult. And, of course, life on the farm is boring.

About half my graduating HS class were members of the FFA (Future Farmers of America). Now the same high school does not even have a chapter. The FFA has moved from Kansas City to Indiana.

None of the Future Farmers at my class reunion were actually farmers, though three still lived on small farms with a few cows and other animals.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:09:55 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
no cable,DSL!!

unacceptable!