Author Topic: Timing is everything  (Read 577 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Timing is everything
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
Girl ends life to donate eyes to dad
Ashis Poddar, TNN Jul 4, 2011, 12.15am IST

For days, Mumpy would listen quietly as the elders discussed how only an eye surgery could save her father's vision and a kidney transplant her brother's life. But both surgeries were beyond the family's meagre means. So, Mumpy hit upon a plan, which to her 12-year-old mind seemed the answer to all troubles. She would kill herself, which would save the dowry, too, and her organs would give her loved ones back their lives.

Mumpy did stick to her plan. But the suicide note in which she had scribbled down her wishes was found the day after she was cremated.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-07-04/india/29735331_1_kidney-transplant-eye-surgery-girl-ends-life

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Timing is everything
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Good thing some organ receiver didn't get her brain!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
actually I wouldn`t be too critical of the little girl. I believe this would be the fifth similiar case I`ve read. which a child believe thier own death will solve problems. at that age the self-preservation systems has not fully developed yet in the brain. it the very reason most clinics focus on teen suicides more than adults.

the only lesson here is for parents to be more carefull what they say around thier kids.which they should of done anyway.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
actually I wouldn`t be too critical of the little girl. I believe this would be the fifth similiar case I`ve read. which a child believe thier own death will solve problems. at that age the self-preservation systems has not fully developed yet in the brain. it the very reason most clinics focus on teen suicides more than adults.

the only lesson here is for parents to be more carefull what they say around thier kids.which they should of done anyway.

good points

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »

Hmmm.. if you told this story to a child vunerable to this mistake , would they understand it as a warning not to commit suicide or as a caution to make the note easy to find and understand.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
I think its more on showing how much they love her also and noting how they cherish her alive after they are gone and hope for the best she don`t think that way.