Author Topic: Proof tax reduction stimulates spending  (Read 815 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Proof tax reduction stimulates spending
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
(Reuters) - Arkansans shopped until they dropped on Saturday, braving temperatures deep into the triple-digits to take advantage of the state's first sales tax holiday weekend.

"I have never seen anything like this," said Clancy Graham, a manager at Little Rock's RK Collections Boutique, an independently owned store. "If we could do this three times a year, it would be amazing. It has done crazy good stuff for our business."

Arkansas lawmakers approved the holiday in February to give parents a tax break on their back-to-school shopping for items such as uniforms, clothing and school supplies.

The tax-holiday also covers items not necessarily needed for school including wedding apparel, girdles and costumes.

Officials have estimated it would cost Arkansas about $2 million in revenue.

Texas, Mississippi, Florida and other states have had such a holiday for several years to ease the tax burden on families just before the school year, and to encourage consumers.

Rebecca Simpson of Little Rock braved the crowds and heat to buy school uniforms for her five-year-old son. The thermometer stood at 107 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday evening.

"I had to get them there so it seemed like a good idea to wait for the tax holiday," Simpson said. "If I hadn't been limited in where I could get his school clothes, I probably wouldn't have been out in the insanity today. It took forever to check out because they all had special codes to enter to remove the tax."

Graham said sales were phenomenal on Saturday.

"We have tripled our daily goal," Graham said. "We've made more today than we have made in this whole month because it's been so hot no one is getting out."

Graham said customers visited the store earlier in the week to "pre-shop" and returned Saturday to buy their favorites. The store also put summer items on sale to lure buyers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/08/us-arkansas-taxholiday-idUSTRE7773GY20110808

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Proof tax reduction stimulates spending
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
This proves that people prefer to spend taxes to not pay taxes. School supplies are normally on sale at this time of year as well. What you can buy for 50 cents will cost $1.50 after school begins.

If there are no taxes, ever, there can be no government.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
This proves that people prefer to spend taxes to not pay taxes. School supplies are normally on sale at this time of year as well. What you can buy for 50 cents will cost $1.50 after school begins.

If the government would operate on a smaller scale then less money would be wasted, thus less taxation on the people equals more money in peoples pockets which means more freedom to the people. In other words the government can't be involved in all aspects of peoples lives and if it stays the hell out of peoples lives then people will be freer both financially and physically. Of course this  logic goes over your head because you are an idiot, and a free-loader, that likes other peoples support in your life and because you can't manage on you own you feel entitled to other people hard earned money with equates to slavery. That's right, you have a slave-master mentality because you are too lazy to roll up your sleeves and achieve your own success!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »

That is a very attractive idea!

But is it really true?

Taxes have not always been as they are now , in anchient times the King would tax the nobles and the Nobles owned the serfs.

So most people were not supporting the National government directly.

Are we heading twards that situation again? Right now about half of us pay no income tax and the top few percent pay half of the income tax.

I suppose that we could continue to exempt more of the lower echelons and demand tribute of the upper crust even more, if we do we will have to allow the payers the controll authority that makes their payment possible.

Will this cause the development of a noble class and a serf class?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Taxes have not always been as they are now , in anchient times the King would tax the nobles and the Nobles owned the serfs.

In ancient times, there were no public highways, schools, water service, and defense was strictly based on whatever the king wanted. And what was all that stuff about how Mary and Joseph had to go the Bethlehem to pay their taxes?

Strange;y, the Gospels do not mention that they paid taxes, supposedly they also came for a census, but it does not mention anything about any census takers, either.

Of course, it is probably untrue, and invention to make the story fit the prophesy. Bethlehem was the alleged city of David, and Nazareth wasn't.

But apparently there were kings who did tax the peasants in some places directly.
=============================

We already have that, and you guys are unaware that you are the serfs.

The Tea Party is the Party financed by the noble Kochs for Royalist Serfs who are like to thing of themselves as pretend royals.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
=============================

We already have that, and you guys are unaware that you are the serfs.

The Tea Party is the Party financed by the noble Kochs for Royalist Serfs who are like to thing of themselves as pretend royals.

Of course we are both oversimplifying, but this is a good question.

Can we live without a noble class if we are depending on them to make most of the direct tax payments?

In this situation can we avoid giving economic privilege to the noble class so that they will continue to be able to make these payments?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
The privilege given to the noble class is that they are the noble class. They get more and better of everything, because the system favors them in nearly every way.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
But it's interesting how far a pat that class is from the rest. I work in a museum for almost 2 decades and recently I recently I read an article about the tut exhibit and notice I only recognized 3 people in that article. It show me how the 2 classes to not mingle at all. Not much of a grey area at all. I'll never see the upper crust of society despite I work in the same building and attend the same parties. But I gotta admit on picture they wear alot more brighter colors than the rest of us.