Author Topic: BART is watching you  (Read 738 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
BART is watching you
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:58 AM »
SF cell shutdown: Safety issue, or hint of Orwell?
By TERRY COLLINS Associated Press
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700170601/SF-cell-shutdown-Safety-issue-or-hint-of-Orwell.html

Is useing a cell a right or a priveledge, or a problem?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: BART is watching you
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
can`t really see as a issue since it was never very good. bet most folks didn`t even knew they got cell service in the station. i used it and most times it doesn`t work. Meaning if they shut it down most would not even know.

Don`t know how those protester could even use thier phone for this.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
Don`t know how those protester could even use thier phone for this.

===================================================
I would imagine that this service would enable a flash mob to mobilize more rapidly from among those who were already on the BART.

Miami's Metrorail and TriRail advertise that they have wireless broadband service. But they are rather puny systems.

In the event of some emergency, it would be a cinch to shut it down. Perhaps the people that run BART have some reason to expect flashmobs, or perhaps they are just paranoid.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
Never let a crisis go to waste.

Just a guess but disabling cell service would probably cause more harm than good.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
Is useing a cell a right or a priveledge, or a problem?

==========================
It is not a constitutional right. I don;t see it as being much of a problem in any normal circumstance. I don't see it as a privilege, either.

The Constitution says that things unregulated by the national government are left up to the states. People are free to do whatever they wish so long as it does not impede other people's rights.So unless the local government makes it illegal, it is obviously legal to use a cellphone. The airwaves are the property of the people, and administered by the government.

Unless there is some extenuating circumstance, I fail to see any reason for the government to prevent people from using their cellphones and wireless devices.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
I once had an uncle named BART.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
thier trying to say cell use is a freedom of speech right. I say shut it down permanently since I`m a BART user and didn`t even use this service and won`t miss it when it`s gone. People don`t understand this is a free service that most folks don`t know existed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
If it requires special equipment be installed on BART, then I don't see how it is a right. If you can use a cellphone without BART installing and maintaining special equipment, then they have a better case.

People can use cellphones on the highway and in the city with no special equipment.

It is not a constitutional right as I see it, because when the Constitution was written, there were no telephones. A cellphone call would have seemed more like magic than technology to the Founding Fathers, I am sure, perhaps even witchcraft.

Cellphones would have been quite useful in preventing slaves from running away, as would photography and fingerprinting.