Author Topic: Cain on Foreign Policy  (Read 42696 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Cain on Foreign Policy
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2011, 05:26:47 AM »
Historically blacks voted overwhelmingly GOP after the Civil War until the end of WWII. They switched in 64. So Cain didn't join Mr. Charley because Mr. Charley was the party of Jim Crow and Federalized segregation and we know which party that came from.

Nice try though. And even though the black vote wasn't going to the GOP Nixon institutionalized the federal quota system. So how was it not in Cains or any black mans interest to remain a Republican?

The Dems gave blacks the break up of the family and welfare dependency. Don't take my word for it, take Sen Moynihans word for it.

Your whole race traitor thesis is out and out nonsense.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2011, 07:00:05 AM »
<<Wow , words only?

<<What can a guy say that means that much?>>

He's not "a guy," he's the head of the organization she works for.  There's a certain amount of trust that is broken, because an employer-employee or boss-worker relationship implies a certain bond of mutual respect and consideration and when that bond is broken, the words from the superior in the relationship can hurt a lot more than if they came from some schmuck she passes on the street or briefly encounters on the subway.

These cases are based on what a jury will award in most cases - - the employer trying to strike the jury, the employee usually wanting a jury - - but the best test of this is to put yourself on that jury:  suppose you yourself are in the jury box with five of your peers (civil jury = 6 in most states) and this babe appears before you with her tale of woe - - we were out celebrating something, some drinking going on and the head of my organization said I had nice tits which I admit did not send me into a state of shock and twelve years of psychiatry but God-damn it I am a self-respecting married woman and I found this pretty fucking offensive.  Cain of course denies the whole thing, nothing happened, I just told her she and my wife are the same height, BFD.  You listen to both and you figure, this babe is not magnifying her damages by claiming all kinds of outrageous groping and over-the-top traumatization, so she's not going to get rich out of this and Cain is a horn-dog like all men are only maybe more so and she's got a lot to lose from going public with this, being called a lying whore being only the start of it, and she tells one straight story start to finish, whereas Cain, he changes his story every time he's asked another question; so-- bottom line, you believe the "she-said" and you don't believe the "he-said."

So now, you're on the jury, you bought her story but not his, and the issue is damages.  YOU ARE THE JUDGE.   The judge tells you that you are required by law to award damages that in your opinion are appropriate to the amount of hurt that she has suffered.  You think it all over, they were drinking and probably kidding around, he says what he says, she admits to feeling nothing more than "discomfort" - - no traumatization, nothing that requires the services of a shrink or even a counsellor, she's still married to the same hubby - - what do YOU think are appropriate damages, Mr. Juror - -  $40K?  Give me a fucking break!  Would you, as sirs and BT argue, feel that 40K is chickenshit compared to the outrageous harm that she suffered, and give her, what?  100K as appropriate damages?  250K?  500K?

40K IMHO is a very hefty settlement to atone for the harm done, even if 3 or 4K of that is the three months' wages that Cain said her 3 months' wages were worth.

The notion that 80K for these two babes is "chickenshit" is just ludicrous.  That was a very hefty settlement that the Restaurant Association made on Cain's behalf and it certainly would NOT have been made if they felt that the accusations were totally baseless.  They or more likely their insurers have adequate resources to defend baseless claims, the cost of which is certainly not a factor in defending an 80K claim, which is "chickenshit" in the eyes of nobody but a deluded right-wing ideologue.

Well I can certainly see why you were so eager to impeach Clinton.
  But this case never went to a jury, never was seen by a judge so your reasoninb has a weakness there.
    Herman Cain never decided to give any money at all to these women, and I don't share your faith in CEOs and Board members to always make perfectly moral, correct and wise decisions.
     Because this settlement did not involve Herman Cain , it says nothing about Herman Cain.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
<<Historically blacks voted overwhelmingly GOP after the Civil War until the end of WWII. They switched in 64. So Cain didn't join Mr. Charley because Mr. Charley was the party of Jim Crow and Federalized segregation and we know which party that came from.

<<Nice try though. And even though the black vote wasn't going to the GOP Nixon institutionalized the federal quota system. So how was it not in Cains or any black mans interest to remain a Republican?>>

Hey, nice try yourself, BT, and thanks for the un-needed and overly selective history lesson, which kind of skipped over Goldwater and the whole Southern Strategy thing, and Reagan and his "welfare queens" and Lee Atwater/Willie Horton, all in favour of Nixon and his affirmative action thing, no doubt a disastrous deviation from racist plans.

My gosh, just LOOK at the time on my computer.  I just realized that we're already in 2011 and where did the Nixon years go?  My suspicion - - and it's only a suspicion, mind you - - is that Herman Cain's computer also says that it's 2011.  And I'm betting that all the "brainwashed" (Cain's term for them, certainly not mine) black majority are just smart enough to realize that they are not back in the golden days of their "friend," Richard Nixon and that the GOP is actually NOT their "benefactor" today.

<<The Dems gave blacks the break up of the family and welfare dependency. Don't take my word for it, take Sen Moynihans word for it.>>

Sorry, I never read Moynihan's book.  So if you're going to base an argument on it, you'll have to give me a few clues on what it says.  From what I can see, whether or not it's in Moynihan's book, the Democrats gave the blacks the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, and enforced the writ of the U.S. Supreme Court throughout the school systems of the American South, which broke the back of segregation and Jim Crow.  And which allowed the racist GOP to make unprecedented inroads into the South due to Goldwater's racist Southern Strategy.

<<Your whole race traitor thesis is out and out nonsense. >>

Well, it WOULD be if your ludicrous theory that the GOP favours black interests had any merit.  As it happens, it is YOUR theory that the blacks would benefit from a GOP administration that is utter nonsense.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
My gosh, just LOOK at the time on my computer.  I just realized that we're already in 2011 and where did the Nixon years go?  My suspicion - - and it's only a suspicion, mind you - - is that Herman Cain's computer also says that it's 2011.

I'm betting it's only Obama's computer that still says 2008.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

<<My gosh, ....... the Democrats gave the blacks the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act,.............

Oh?

You think this ,why?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
<<Well I can certainly see why you were so eager to impeach Clinton.>>

Actually, I was not at all eager to impeach Clinton.  I can certainly see the difference between preying on an employee with unwanted advances and succumbing to temptation, which can happen to any of us lucky enough to be tempted, and Clinton was certainly a lot luckier than most.  Actually it is my belief that as President of the United States of America, a man is naturally entitled to the freely volunteered favours of any of the ladies of the land.  It's just one of the many perks of the office.  Just ask anyone who knew the late JFK.  Sadly, these perks are not available to the CEO of the NRA.

<<But this case never went to a jury, never was seen by a judge so your reasoninb has a weakness there.>>

ROTFLMFAO.  Ahh, plane, unfortunately it is YOUR reasoning that has a weakness there.  Specifically that if something doesn't pass scrutiny by a jury or a judge, it did not happen.  You yourself seem to have strong beliefs in MANY things that never passed before a judge or jury, so many in fact that I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just leave off showing specific examples unless you want to challenge the assertion.

<<Herman Cain never decided to give any money at all to these women, and I don't share your faith in CEOs and Board members to always make perfectly moral, correct and wise decisions.
     <<Because this settlement did not involve Herman Cain , it says nothing about Herman Cain.>>

OK, plane and thanks for the additional laughs.  Now let me introduce you to the real world.  TWO women were disturbed enough by Cain's antics that they laid formal complaints against his employer alleging sexual harassment.  At least one of them was represented by experienced, capable, senior employment counsel (Joel P. Bennett,) who would be very unlikely to take on a "he said-she said" case unless he himself was convinced that he had a strong and credible witness who could back up the allegations.  A THIRD woman was waiting in the wings with her own accusations against Cain but we don't know what happened to her.  The other woman who pursued a claim must have had counsel roughly equivalent to Joel P. Bennett because she got roughly the same settlement as Bennett's client did, although it's also possible she could have had less capable counsel who merely rode on Bennett's coat-tails.

The company must have done a thorough investigation at the time.  Cain himself says they did, and he should know.  Common sense alone tells us that they would have.  At the very minimum, the investigation would have included getting signed statements from Cain, the two victims, the third vic (if known to have relevant information at the time and willing to talk,) and any eye-witnesses known to Cain or his victims at the time.  (And we now know that there was at least one eye-witness who claims to be able to back up at least one of the two vics.)  The investigation might well include polygraph tests and background investigations as well, and many other things.

So the completed investigation comes before either the company or its insurers.  In the case of the company, it's inconceivable that this wouldn't be passed on to experienced counsel.  The company may or may not have its own claims department and adjusters, who would then work with counsel.  Or it went straight to insurance, in which case, in addition to in-house adjusters and in-house counsel, it probably would go also to outside counsel.  Further and better investigations could and probably were ordered.

In any event, the investigation results were all gathered and reviewed by very experienced professionals who considered this from the point of view of the victims' credibility AND the amount of damages and costs that the association could expect to incur under various possible scenarios (fighting one or both claims in court or in arbitration, stonewalling, denial of any liability, escalating offers, etc.) and solutions were proposed. 

If it had become apparent that Cain was a serial sexual predator, it would almost inevitably follow that Cain would have to go, quickly, and in fact that's exactly what happened.  Cain left even before the settlement papers were signed.

Now, keeping in mind the rapid exit of Cain from the association, arguments about the settlement being in large part to protect the company's good name are, frankly, hogwash.  The company's good name was protected the moment that Cain hauled his ass out the front door for the last time, because as I indicated earlier, the association could point to its swift action in removing the alleged perp  and say that with Cain, its sexual harassment problem had vanished.

In the judgement of experienced professionals, these two claims were found to be worth 80K to settle.  Even in Cain's own estimation, a few thousand bucks (say 3K x2 = 6K) would have been the severance pay component of the settlement.  Leaving 74K damages for sexual harassment, harassment which admittedly never went beyond mere words, caused no lasting trauma, no absences from work, no impairment of relationships, nothing beyond "feelings of discomfort."

Let us be realistic here.  If every "nothingburger" complaint of sexual harassment would put about 35K into a woman's pocket, companies and associations would be deluged with these kinds of complaints.  Employers simply can't afford to throw that kind of money at every frivolous complaint that pops up, especially in a shaky economy where nobody's job is guaranteed to last anyway.  This employer had minimal concerns about reputation, since the perv had already left, and absolutely zero incentive to throw away 80K on trumped-up complaints.   With a thorough investigation in front of them, they decided it was better to pay out 80K to the two vics than to take their chances in a court or arbitration, where the exposure could obviously have been a lot higher than what they settled for.

Finally, it is very hard to believe that the insurer or the association did not get Herm the Perv's approval of the settlement, whether or not he signed on the settlement itself.  The non-disclosure clause and the "non-disparagement" clause - -  see http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57318924-503544/herman-cain-accuser-stands-by-complaint-wont-go-public/?tag=re1.channel - - indicate that the Association was in fact protecting Cain's interests, when, through its counsel, it signed the settlement agreement.  It is inconceivable that the Association would attempt to protect Cain's interests and yet not obtain Cain's written consent to the settlement - - otherwise, any subsequent legal action by the vic against Cain could result in action by Cain against the Association for failure to adequately protect his interests in the settlement agreement.  The inclusion of a "non-disparagement" clause would prevent the Association from defending against Cain's action by claiming that they had never undertaken to protect his interests.

At the end of the day, an investigation or investigations, reviewed by experienced professionals with no axe to grind in the matter, including the two counsel who signed for the Association, concluded that there was enough merit to the accusations that it made sense to settle them out of court for a payment of at least 35K, which is certainly not chickenfeed in anyone's estimation.  AND, within two or three months of the claim being presented, Herm the Perv was gone from the CEO's office.

Draw your own conclusions.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »
An astute observation, MT.

Cain has decided to shut up about it. That suggests that the actual truth is WORSE than what we know so far.

It seems to me that after settlement No.2, he was ejected from the NRA forthwith.

Will Cain take a "Godfather" Second Amendment solution to this problem? I sure hope not.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »
     First of all Clinton was not accused of giving women what they asked for, he was accused of lewdly exposing himself and lewd harrassment. His trial that "aquitted " him is where he admittedly committed purjury, which in my estimation puts a rotten spot on the aquittal.

Herman Cain is not even accused of half so much , and not by half so many.

Most of what you wrote depends on assumptions on the competance, professionalism , honesty and common sense of the US business class , which I just don't share with you.

I think highly placed professional businessmen are just as liable to be craven and foolish as anyone elese, what they chose to do might be quite diffrent than a good decdision and might also be diffrent than what Herman Cain would do.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
We don't even know allegedly what Cain did or allegedly to who. This story is not only over, but it shouldn't even have been reported in the first place.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
It is worse than we have been told, and Cain is counting on something keeping those women from speaking. My guess is a second fistful each of the Koch brother's money.

Cain was canned because of this, quite obviously. Do we want to see another impeachment trial in 2014? Of course it should have been mentioned.

None of you will shut them up. Cain will not shut them up.

Sumbitch is pretty much dead meat, and it's his own damn fault.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
It is worse than we have been told,

Oh, really? Tell us, what did Cain say that was so bad?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
You have no imagination, do you.

Worship Cain if you like. He is still dead meat. This thing will not go away, because this sort of thing never goes away. Ask Gary Hart.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
You are dead meat. You made a wild accucation that you have no proof of.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
I am running for nothing. I am not any sort of meat. I do not have to prove anything to you. You would not believe me, anyway. My opinion will not destroy Cain. Yours will not save him. We are spectators, not participants. We are nowhere near the meat counter.

If this is a grocery store, I am an indestructible Twinkie, and I will be around for decades.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
What facts do you use to back up your opinions?