Author Topic: Time to Reinstate the Draft  (Read 4565 times)

BSB

Re: Time to Reinstate the Draft
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
Ami, you put up a lot of good info, just ignore my shit, and do your thing.

BSB

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »
That doesn't mean there isn't a generalized IQ test, Ami, with scoring going over 99. I saw some of my scores, and some were over 100. At the time the Special Forces required a general IQ of over 116 on their test. So, obviously some test didn't have a ceilling of 99.

BSB

There was a vocational test (with somehat different categories for 40 years ago, but close enough), but the test I am thinking of is closer to a general IQ test. I know the scores went over 100 because 100 was what was required just to get into the Army; the branch I was in, Military Intelligence, required a 120 minimum, and mine was, let's say, well over that. The score of 76 I saw was in my own unit - MI, attached to NSA at Fort Meade. That was when I realized the all volunteer Army had gone to hell.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BSB

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
I took the tests in '65, but that's close to my memory of it. They tested about 200 of us, in our 1st week in the Army, than about 15% were asked to stay, and they tested us some more. But I don't remember being tested before I went in other than a prolonged physical.   

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 01:33:46 AM »
I took the asvab. It never once thought I`d fail it. in fact nobody thought they would flunk it. not a challenging test.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 02:05:41 AM »
Around 2003 or 4 the tests weren't that hard to pass, but that wasn't where the pressure came from. The pressure came from scoring trying to score high enough to get into the school of your choice, and thus the career path, than scoring low and having options limited.

There was also a lot of pressure to get in physical shape prior to actual enlistment. Lose that 15 lbs. Start doing sit-ups and push ups. Start running miles. We didn't worry about that in my day.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »
19 I had almost endless stanima and can barely feel physical pain.. if it was for the fact I`m 4f, I`d be in. just because I can handle massive amount of pain does not mean I as in good shape. it`s ashame I wasn`t very strong.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
I think the conventional wisdom at the time was that boot camp would get us in good enough shape for whatever they had in mind for us.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
it`s funny very few people talk muchthe failure rate of bootcamp. my brother saw somebody snap there. he simply lost the ability to think for himslef and walk right into a glassdoor. people forget bootcamp is not just physical.