Author Topic: Time to Reinstate the Draft  (Read 4567 times)

BSB

Time to Reinstate the Draft
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
Late yesterday afternoon a car was tailing me so close I couldn't see it's headlights. The driver looked to be in his early 20s. At about 11:00 last night a car, going probably 65 in a 45, came up behind me so close his headlights disappeared before he turned into the passing lane to go around me. The driver looked to be in his mid 20s. This afternoon a car pulled up behind me and rode my tail for 2 miles, on a back road, before I pulled over to let him go by. He then proceeded to ride the tail of a car in front of me until I turned off onto another road. He looked to be in his early 20s. When I got home, parked my car, got out, I heard a crash. At the end of my road a teenager, male, had gone off the road into a pole. He didn't have a license, only a permit, and his passenger was underage. All illegal.

Draft 'em and ship 'em to a war zone. They're too dangerous to have around.

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Time to Reinstate the Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »
Might not be a bad idea anyway. Not only for the kids but the institution of the military. Of course, women should be subject to the draft also.

For the fairness.

Does the all volunteer military have quotas established for a preset male female or gay hetero mix .

BSB

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »
I don't know if they'd get out of balance without quotas or not?

What's the point to quotas anyway, I forget?

BSB

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
I know when I went in the Army in the 70's, the Army had some sort of test comparable to an IQ test that everyone had to take before they were accepted, whether enlistee or drafted. The minimum score to get into the Army was 100. By 1976 the Army was all volunteer, and within a few years recruiters were taking practically anyone they could get. I know I worked in the company admin office for a few weeks before I got out, and I was seeing scores then as low as 76. It was a big part of the reason I got out.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BSB

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:12 PM »
If that test was scored like a regular IQ test, 76 is just about moron.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »
Drafting people to serve in the military because they are unsafe drivers does not sound like a very good reason.  The draft was involuntary servitude, and having the availability of a large military encouraged politicians to monger unnecessary wars, like Vietnam. Now technology and the geopolitical situation has made a really large military unnecessary.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
The problem with the draft is it's involuntary. Meaning thier pretty just cannon foder. The mortality rate much higher. If the draft is truely needed. The military should separate the voluntary from the draftees so they don't drag the serious guys down.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »
All the military should be "serious guys". Being drafted just to serve as cannon fodder in an undeclared and unnecessary war is an overabundance of authority, and an imposition on the draftee.

Besides, if you have a draft, a lot of those who volunteer will simply join to avoid being placed arbitrarily where they do not wish to go. In my HS graduating class, something like 45 guys enlisted, and only two did so because they wanted to be Marines. One of them served as a career Marine until retirement, but his buddy could not take the training, deserted and ended up in prison. The other 43 enlisted because they thought they would be drafted and wanted to have some control of what branch they were in. Many were simply lied to by recruiters, and were sent where the Army/Marines/Navy wanted them to go. In the 1960's and 70's there was a lot of lies told by recruiters

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:35:05 AM »
Pretty sure the very act of avoiding the draft by enlisting increases the life expectancy of said person.

Just saying a draftee is a different kind of solder for a differing use

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »
Elvis was drafted.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »
I thought at the time that Elvis was deliberately drafted to serve as some sort of example. He was seen as having a corrupting influence on young people. Maybe he was simply unlucky. He was a good sport about it, and it did not do his career a lot of damage.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
How he do?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:49:42 AM »
He was in the Army from 1958 to 1960 and earned the rank of Sargent.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say:
On March 24, Presley was inducted into the U.S. Army as a private at Fort Chaffee, near Fort Smith, Arkansas. Captain Arlie Metheny, the information officer, was unprepared for the media attention drawn by the singer's arrival. Hundreds of people descended on Presley as he stepped from the bus; photographers then accompanied him into the base.[134] Presley announced that he was looking forward to his military stint, saying he did not want to be treated any differently from anyone else: "The Army can do anything it wants with me."[135] Later, at Fort Hood, Texas, Lieutenant Colonel Marjorie Schulten gave the media carte blanche for one day, after which she declared Presley off-limits to the press.[136]

Soon after Presley had commenced basic training at Fort Hood, he received a visit from Eddie Fadal, a businessman he had met when on tour in Texas. Fadal reported that Presley had become convinced his career was finished—"He firmly believed that."[137] During a two-week leave in early June, Presley cut five sides in Nashville. He returned to training, but in early August his mother was diagnosed with hepatitis and her condition worsened. Presley was granted emergency leave to visit her, arriving in Memphis on August 12. Two days later, she died of heart failure, aged 46. Presley was devastated;[138] their relationship had remained extremely close—even into his adulthood, they would use baby talk with each other and Presley would address her with pet names.[139]

After training at Fort Hood, Presley joined the 3rd Armored Division in Friedberg, Germany, on October 1.[140] Introduced to amphetamines by a sergeant while on maneuvers, he became "practically evangelical about their benefits"—not only for energy, but for "strength" and weight loss, as well—and many of his friends in the outfit joined him in indulging.[141] The Army also introduced Presley to karate, which he studied seriously, later including it in his live performances.[142] Fellow soldiers have attested to Presley's wish to be seen as an able, ordinary soldier, despite his fame, and to his generosity while in the service. He donated his Army pay to charity, purchased TV sets for the base, and bought an extra set of fatigues for everyone in his outfit.[143]

While in Friedberg, Presley met 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu. They would eventually marry after a seven-and-a-half-year courtship.[144] In her autobiography, Priscilla says that despite his worries that it would ruin his career, Parker convinced Presley that to gain popular respect, he should serve his country as a regular soldier rather than in Special Services, where he would have been able to give some musical performances and remain in touch with the public.[145] Media reports echoed Presley's concerns about his career, but RCA producer Steve Sholes and Freddy Bienstock of Hill and Range had carefully prepared for his two-year hiatus. Armed with a substantial amount of unreleased material, they kept up a regular stream of successful releases.[146] Between his induction and discharge, Presley had ten top 40 hits, including "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck", the best-selling "Hard Headed Woman", and "One Night" in 1958, and "(Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I" and the number one "A Big Hunk o' Love" in 1959.[147] RCA also generated four albums compiling old material during this period, most successfully Elvis' Golden Records (1958), which hit number three on the LP chart.[148]
Focus on movies (1960–67)
Elvis Is Back

"It's Now or Never"
Presley broke new stylistic ground and displayed his vocal range with this number one hit. The quasi-operatic ballad ends with Presley "soaring up to an incredible top G sharp."[149]
Problems listening to this file? See media help.

Presley returned to the United States on March 2, 1960, and was honorably discharged with the rank of sergeant on March 5.[150] The train that carried him from New Jersey to Tennessee was mobbed all the way, and Presley was called upon to appear at scheduled stops to please his fans.[151]

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 01:19:47 AM »
He would be on the volunteer catagory.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
no he was drafted. he didn't fight it or run, if that was what you mean.