Author Topic: Closing in on the "God particle"  (Read 6151 times)

BSB

Closing in on the "God particle"
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
Physicists are closer than ever to hunting down the elusive Higgs boson particle, the missing piece of the governing theory of the universe's tiniest building blocks.
Scientists at the world's largest particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland, announced today (Dec. 13) that they'd narrowed down the list of possible hiding spots for the Higgs, (also called the God particle) and even see some indications that they're hot on its trail.

"I think we are getting very close," said Vivek Sharma, a physicist at the University of California, San Diego, and the leader of the Higgs search at LHC's CMS experiment. "We may be getting the first tantalizing hints, but it's a whiff, it's a smell, it's not quite the whole thing."

Today's announcement was highly anticipated by both the physics community and the public, with speculation running rampant in the days leading up to it that the elusive particle may have finally been found. Though the news is not the final answer some were hoping for, the progress is a significant, exciting step, physicists say. [ Top 5 Implications of Finding the Higgs Boson ]

"It's something really extraordinary and I think we can be all proud of this," said CERN physicist Fabiola Gianotti, spokesperson for the LHC's ATLAS experiment, during a public seminar announcing the results today.

Experts outside the LHC collaborations agreed.

more at:
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articles.aspx?afid=1&aid=45653534

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Closing in on the "God particle"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
Tell them to look closely....perhaps they'll also find that ellusive homosexual gene nearby
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »
I don't believe genes and particles are the same thing.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Never claimed they were.  Sorry if you were confused.  The issue was more apt in how neither have apparently been identified yet.  That would be the similarity at hand, not particle vs gene
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
Odds are that both will eventually be identified.

There is a reason for everything, but the universe was clearly not designed for us to find it out easily. Perhaps we were not designed to discover everything, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
Good luck with that

BSB

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
Sirs, I don't think you're quit grasping how the use of the term "God particle" is being used here. It's a building block, at the core of the universe, that someone just called the "God particle". No one is saying that they've actually found, or ruled out, God. It's just a way to express the importance of this particle.

Relax Sirs.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »
The idea is that this particle and others are the building blocks for other particles, such as protons and neutrons, and I think, electrons. Of course, it is very unlikely that we will ever see such a particle, since they are subatomic and to tiny. We may be able to see where they have been, or to see the results of such particles forming larger ones.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »
Relax B, if you can't get the comparison being made, despite my repeated effort in highlighting it (hint, it's not trying to compare a particle to a gene), just move along      ::)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »
I don't get the comparison being made, and i haven't seen repeated highlighting of it, at least not in this thread.

Are you implying some media bias? Please clarify.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
"Physicists are closer than ever to hunting down the elusive Higgs boson particle"

sirs adds "Tell them to look closely....perhaps they'll also find that elusive homosexual gene nearby".  We've been told many a time, from the pro homosexual side that they have no choice in acting out the way they do, that its built in, like a gene.  I'm simply parroting the above reference in the elusivity of what's being looked for, that it must exist

If you don't get it, not sure how else to help you.  And as you note, nothing to do with MSM bias, but nice Xo like dig.  Very appreciative coming from the fella that sets the tone and example here in the saloon     ::)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »
somebody named tyson pointed out about science. it doesn`t answer to us. we need to understand sometimes our belief will get us try to prove stuff that simply is not true. this particle was brought up on npr today and this subject was brought up that it maybe false.

I`m totally not saying do not persue it. but know when tp stop. but then I`m a believer of a more complex thoery of our universe. which most people will reject out of hand since the concept truely can`t be accepted. what if time did not start at the big bang but still continues into the past endlessly . it goes infinately both direction, people prefer a starting pint. I say no.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:59:14 AM »
Not sure how we got from sub atomic particle physics to a lament about homosexuality, nor am I sure where you showed "repeated effort in highlighting it". Seems to me this is simply a report on man's quest for knowledge. Some theories are proven, others get disproved.

Are you OK? You seem excessively defensive lately.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:14 AM »
And yet another with the attempt at deflection from what was simple comparision on the concept of elusivity.  Wow, folks sure can't seem to hold their inner demons back very well this evening.  I'm fine, thank you very much.  No, no lament, and yes, it was repeated for you now as well.  May I recommend a hot chocolate for yourself, and anyone else that wants to make a mountain of a conceptual molehill??

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:23 AM »
Re your elusivity defense.

I didn't see repeated efforts in highlighting it, prior to your claim to having done so.

Perhaps you can show me where the repeated efforts were made.

Not sure about inner demons either. What exactly are you implying with that remark?