Author Topic: Taxes are good for you  (Read 6082 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taxes are good for you
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Taxes are good for you
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
I am all for the government owning robots to make items to be sold to raise revenue.

I am not for robot rights until they are smart enough to know that they are being exploited.

Robots should be programmed so that they never think this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »
   The government is usually forbidden to compete with industry, the government does own a lot of robots , mostly war machines used under remote controll for reconnasance and wepon delivery, I don't favor privite industry doing a lot of that.
    If robots were taxed on the basis of their productivity the revenue stream would grow a bit , and the government would feel invested in the strong industrys that have a lot of productive robots, I am not certain but I think this could be a good thing.

Robots will actually become persons a short time after the really complex ones are programmed to expand themselves and program themselves and each other.  Before we get there we better come to terms with the idea.

The point is wanted to ponder here is whether taxation leads to government sympathy wioth the tax resorce , or repression, I think that history shows both happening.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
  On the side , I suppose that Issiac Asimov would be dissapointed with the way we are using robots.

They are not smart enough yet to actually program with his three laws, and once they are will we be smart enough to include the three laws in the programming?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »
some pets have money to support itself sort of. if robots begin to have purchasing power, would that be the sign of robots should have rights?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »
  It is a tough question.

Sometimes when there are people who feel their rights are shortchanged they use boycott , once computers have purchase power they might also.

On the other hand we already automate billions of dollars of purchase on the stock market , should we prevent senatance in computers that we trust with money?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
Robots are machines. They are not self-aware. Until they are, I don't they have more rights than a toaster oven or a refrigerator.

I would certainly make sense to devise a system by which the public, and not just the robots' owners, could profit from the labor of the robots, because otherwise, society will collapse because those who used to work for a living have been denied the ability to earn a living, since they cannot be as productive as robots.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:20 AM »
Robots are machines. They are not self-aware. Until they are, I don't they have more rights than a toaster oven or a refrigerator.

I would certainly make sense to devise a system by which the public, and not just the robots' owners, could profit from the labor of the robots, because otherwise, society will collapse because those who used to work for a living have been denied the ability to earn a living, since they cannot be as productive as robots.

How will you know it when you meet a machine that is self aware?

The government should be limited severely from making products and providing services that the private sector can provide.

Untill robots can own themselves they need to be owned by persons , corporations and governments.

When   they do own themselves they will need to join the economy as pprooducers , consumors and taxpayers.

Why can't people be productive? Isn't a Man with a Robot more productive than either alone?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:34:32 AM »
After all this talk of robots it dawned on me. Robots may replace humans at labor . But that would stop the demand of said labor. Meaning a symbiotic relationship is required for robots to exist. Humans need to be earning an income for robots to function.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:51:41 AM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
This seems to be a very esoteric cartoon strip. I notice that the character that resembles a wolf immediately changes from a yellow dress into a waitress uniform. Are animals also sentient beings in this strip? How does crippling a robot turn her into a waitress? Is she a robot or a genetically engineered talking wolf?

Again, robots will only be as sentient as we choose to make them. There is no reason to program manufacturing robots with self-awareness any more that we would want a toaster that ponders metaphysics when not making toast.

If there is no way to distribute the earnings of robotics among consumers, then consumers will not be able to buy the products they manufacture. There must be a way to distribute earnings to the masses so there can be mass consumption.

Of course, the system in which we live is based on eternal growth, and eternal growth is unsustainable, since the resources and raw materials are limited. Not everything can be recycled. In fact, MOST stuff we throw away is not recycled.

Consumer capitalism is doomed unless we can adapt to a sustainable system. I see no one working on this.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
This seems to be a very esoteric cartoon strip. I notice that the character that resembles a wolf immediately changes from a yellow dress into a waitress uniform. Are animals also sentient beings in this strip? How does crippling a robot turn her into a waitress? Is she a robot or a genetically engineered talking wolf?

If you are really interested you should read this strip from the beginning , it is quite well done so you will enjoy it , but it is quite long so don't try it all at one sitting.

The world of this strip includes machiunes that build machines and robots that program themselves.
  Colinisation of a sterile world requires such a large workforce that it cannot be ddone without making many robots, but the robots that started very complex learned and evolved and discovered that they were senetant.

A more recent development in this world is the genetic manipulation of the Wolf to create a wolf with a good servants attitude , hands and an engineers brain, but still with a Wolfs instinct for survival.

The title caricter is a lovable theif , alien who has to wear a pressure suit to survive a human environment , where most of the cast loves the wolf they mostly hate the alien .

I like a cartoon that can be funny while it explores deep subjects , it is an art.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
I agree that it is clever and well drawn. Good sci-fi in comic form.

There is a lot of it, starting in 1998.

I thought the main character was a robot.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
I agree that it is clever and well drawn. Good sci-fi in comic form.

There is a lot of it, starting in 1998.

I thought the main character was a robot.

Freefall is actually a horrendus aquatic creature that wears a special suit to survive, the face is anamatronic and controlled by his facial tentacals.
    He has no human notion of morality at all, but seems to be motivated by humor more than greed, tho he has plenty of greed.
    He is associated with the Wolf caricter primarialy because he stole her from her real owners.
     She is so well engineered to be a good servant that she obeys him in spite of knowing all of this.
     She is so intelligent that she can get things to turn out her way anyhow.

It is a great story, and it makes me think about Mary Shelly. Once we are able to create creatures of human or better intelligence will we be obliged to make them obeident?

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »
I'm reminded of one of the short films on the Animatrix dvd, which explains how the Matrix came to be:

http://www.thematrix101.com/animatrix/renaissance.php