Author Topic: gadgets  (Read 1669 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: gadgets
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »
So does this space elevator go from the Earth to the Moon, or just to some point above the Moon? I don't think a balloon would work on the Moon, due to a lack of atmosphere.

Is there one device here, or two?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:15 AM »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:39 AM »
So does this space elevator go from the Earth to the Moon, or just to some point above the Moon? I don't think a balloon would work on the Moon, due to a lack of atmosphere.

Is there one device here, or two?

Although I think this is a fantastic idea, I don't know what their breakthrough is that makes them think that they can acomplish it so soon.

Space elevator climb test at MIT in 2005
Space elevator 1000 foot climb test
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaellaine/space-elevator-science-climb-to-the-sky-a-tethered?ref=category
Ultimately where we are headed is – as my friend often repeats – “to get off this rock”. (3rd video, at 3:10)  Ultimately, we are going to build an Elevator that climbs into the sky… an Elevator that takes humanity from “this rock”, en masse, to space!   But that is a long way off. Perhaps 20-25 years. Before that happens there are some vital interim steps.

Before we can build Earth’s Elevator, we’ll need to build one on the Moon. It is significantly easier, and much much cheaper. Importantly - we can build it with current technology – in about eight years.

if the Lunar Elevator is a precursor technology to Earth’s Elevator, then our proposed Kickstarter campaign of Tethered Towers is a precursor to the Lunar Elevator.

That’s where you come in!

-  What we want to do is:
 •Build a robot that can climb 2 kilometers straight up.
 •Build a test platform of high-altitude balloons - tethered to the ground.
 •Our Robot (which you can NAME) will climb the test platform – and set a world record.
 •Let the world know that we didn’t quit, give up, or fail… we just had to ‘pause’ for a while.
 •Rebuild our connection with the global community of supporters.
 •Raise a little money to cover the cost of this specific experiment.

We’ve gotten critiques from our friends that “we’re not asking for enough…”  The (usually unspoken) implication being that “if you’re really serious about building an Elevator on the Moon, why are you only asking for $8,000?”

We made this financial decision for a reason.  Sure, there are many things we can do (will do) that will take a lot more cash… But that’s not the point of this – specific – campaign.  The goal of this Kickstarter event is to rebuild our community.  We will launch another campaign; and another, and another and another.  Over time, after some successes and after we’ve rebuilt trust that our company can do what it says it can do, we’ll raise our financial targets.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:40 AM »
If you are generous to Liiftport

They have a "reward" for you.
Pledge $500 or more

JUMP!: Alright, you won’t be FIRST! (see below) but you’ll be on the list… Ride our balloons and robot up to the top, and then jump. What could be easier, right? Personally, I think you guys are all a little crazy. But then again, I’m building an Elevator in Space… Who am I to say what ‘crazy’ is? If you’ve got the waivers, jump certifications and guts, I won’t stop you from jumping off the tallest man-made structure in the world… and into the history books. Delivery dates are negotiable. PLUS everything at the VIDEO CHANNEL, GET INVOLVED, ADVERTISE YOUR SUPPORT, MEDIUM ART PRINT, CARD CARRYING SUPPORTER, GREETING CARD, RIBBON, and FRIENDS, levels.

Est. Delivery: Jan 2013

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 02:53:26 AM »
http://www.deskeng.com/virtual_desktop/?p=6002

use of CFD to simulate the airflow around a vehicle is an established practice. It’s a useful method to identify geometry in the car that increases drag. The lower the drag, the faster the car. So based on CFD results, automotive designers can make subtle changes in the styling of the hood, windshield, and bumpers to reduce drag. Recognizing the same principle could be used to improve swimwear, Speedo began employing CFD in its apparel design, as far back as 2004. (More on this in ANSYS’s online article, “Simulating Swimwear for Increased Speed,” ANSYS Advantage magazine, Vol II, Issue 2, 2008.)

“First we use simulation to understand how the suite performs, so Speedo knows how to improve the suit. Then we use it to evaluate the design ideas they had in how to modify the suit,” explained Silvester.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »
http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2012/04/umass_researchers_solve_gecko_superpower_mystery.html

Buy some Geckskin.
Make some gloves and boots out of it .

Walk up the wall, crawl across the ceiling.

Or perhaps just catch the football very well.