Author Topic: Voters' Picks: The Storm Changed My Vote from Romney to Obama  (Read 1142 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Voters' Picks: The Storm Changed My Vote from Romney to Obama
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
Voters' Picks: The Storm Changed My Vote from Romney to Obama
By Ted Sherman | Yahoo! Contributor Network

Just days before Nov. 6, Yahoo! asked voters to reveal which candidate they're backing -- Barack Obama or Mitt Romney or another candidate -- and, briefly, why. Here are one voter's thoughts.

Until the storm hit the East Coast, I was leaning toward voting for Romney. I'm an old guy who cast his first presidential vote for Harry Truman, and mostly for Democrats who ran in subsequent years. Until this past weekend, I was frankly not thrilled with either of the 2012 candidates.

I don't like Obama's Chicago pals from his early political years; they just seemed a bit too radical for me. That drew me to Romney, despite the fact that he was born too rich, and seems to have no clue about what it means to be struggling in today's lousy economy.

Then came Sandy. Obama immediately went to the disaster areas and set positive recovery measures to work. Romney did photo ops of carrying some Campbell soup cans. He still doesn't have a clue, and he lost my vote.

-- Ted Sherman, Los Angeles

http://news.yahoo.com/voters-picks-storm-changed-vote-romney-obama-204000761.html

Well, to be fair, I suppose Romney really didn't have any authority to do anything other than pose for a photo op.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Voters' Picks: The Storm Changed My Vote from Romney to Obama
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
Yeah when the riots start saturday night because of no food water gasoline or power I'm sure there will be a lot of folks praising obama for that heckuva job.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
LOL, when if they really look at what happened, it was their failure to evacuate or prepare.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
LOL, when if they really look at what happened, it was their failure to evacuate or prepare.

Wouldn't this be true in every disaster?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »
I've lived in Florida almost 30 years now, much of that in the panhandle and along the Gulf Coast. When I originally moved to Pensacola, the day I got there, hurricane Elena (in '85) was taking direct aim at Pensacola ad expected to hit that day. Instead t hooked east, wandered around another day or so, then came back in and hit Pensacola anyway. It was the first hurricane I had been in since Camille in '69. No, I take that back, I went through Bob in Fort Lauderdale while I was at computer school, in '85, just before I moved to Pensacola. That one had crossed over the Florida peninsula from the Gulf to the Atlantic, so going over land it had lost some steam, but it ruined my plans for a weekend on the beach ogling babes.

Anyway, Elena wasn't nearly as strong as Camille, bt a helluva lot strongr than Bob. We were far enough from the waterfront itself that we mainly got wind and rain damage, but I can remember going into town after the storm passed and seeing the damage there. We never failed to prepare, every hurrican season, by storing enough fresh water and food to last at least a couple of weeks, and if a large storm was coming in, we headed inland.

What got me though, living there, was seeing all these homes built out on the barrier islands. Barrier islands are usually long, narrow islands, not very high, that parallel the coastline. Whenever a hurricane came in, some of these homes would get wiped out, like the ones we have now on some of the New Jersey barrier islands. I mean the homes would just be gone, the beaches eroded away, and in some cases barrier islands cut in half because parts of them had completely washed away.

So what happened? The owners raised a hue and cry for federal help to rebuild. Dredges came in and dredged sand from the ocean floor to rebuild the beaches and parts of the islands that had washed away -  brought in by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Roads were rebuilt, with state and federal money. And the owners who had been washed away were able to get permits, from the state and county, to rebuild right back on the barier islands, so they could get washed out again in future storms.

It's idiocy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
I agree.

People are stupid to build on the beach and then demand that they be compensated when an easily prediced storm blows their house away.

When I bought my house in Miami, I made sure it was inland and on higher ground and built on a raised foundation. No real estate saleswoman (they were all women) knew a thing about elevation, square footage or school district for any house they showed me,and each and every one was $10K more than what I said was the maximum I would pay. They would always say "it's the most expensive investment of your life", which turned out to be very far from true.

Eventually I assumed a mortgage and no realtor got a dime. But I understand how it is that people get talked into stupid choices. It is assumed that stupidity is the norm.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."