Author Topic: Let's have that school safer conversation  (Read 6006 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's have that school safer conversation
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
OUCH........damn them facts
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »
I have been reading on this subject for years , as have we all.

I am convinced that the most likely place to get hurt in a mass shooting is a gun free zone in a very gun restrictive state and city.

Abolishing gun free zones would very likely save lives , but this would be difficult to prove absolutely.

I think it is somewhat indicated in that the worst casualty counts are indeed in this circumstance.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 01:51:16 AM »
I have been reading on this subject for years , as have we all.
I am convinced that the most likely place to get hurt in a mass shooting is a gun free zone in a very gun restrictive state and city.....I think it is somewhat indicated in that the worst casualty counts are indeed in this circumstance

100% accurate, not to mention the facts that back you up on that deduction

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:10:37 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:24 AM »
Finally saw one of thse gun free signs in my city. It's not in a very safe area of the city. But my town has made alot of good intention laws that tends to backfire.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 07:15:34 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/20/texas-town-teachers-guns/1781663/
In this tiny Texas town, children and their parents don't give much thought to safety at the community's lone school — mostly because some of the teachers are carrying concealed weapons.

In remote Harrold, the nearest sheriff's office is 30 minutes away, and people tend to know — and trust — one another. So the school board voted to let teachers bring guns to school.

"You are going to put teachers, people teaching 6-year-olds in a school, and expect them to respond to an active-shooter situation?" said Ladd Everitt, a spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, who called the idea of arming teachers "madness."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:55 AM »
Might work but after the age of ten would it be tough to keep the guns from the kids?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
The most probable place for a massacre is decided by the perpetrator, who may or may not be thinking rationally.  is not like they are all incredibly brilliant evil geniuses like in a Spiderman movie.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
The most probable place for a massacre is decided by the perpetrator, who......

.....most often picks a gun free zone in a very gun restrictive state and city.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
If you cherry pick every incident, you will find a justification for your wacko theories.

Have fun with that.

You can speculate now on why the nut in Aurora chose a BATMAN movie, instead of perhaps something by Woody Allen. 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
And if you gather the facts of every incident, you'll find a can't be ignored theme......that most every mass shooting occured in a gun free/gun limited zone, in a very gun restrictive state and city.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:06:21 PM by sirs »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
Was columbine one of those? I dont recall that issue brought up then

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »
All schools are "gun free zones"

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Finally saw one of thse gun free signs in my city. It's not in a very safe area of the city. But my town has made alot of good intention laws that tends to backfire.

And to be honest Kimba, most legislation is "well intentioned", but not well thought out, because too much emotion is built into passing the legislation vs determining if the legislation is even appropriate or targets the acts that generated the emotional charge

For instance, we keep hearing about the supposed "gun show loophole", that needs closed.  Did you know Connecticut closed that loophole.  Many states have.  Did you also know that the % of crimes committed by guns that were purchased at a gun show is somewhere around 2%? 

Did you know, as a civilian, it's illegal to purchase an automatic assault rifle, without a special license thru the ATF, yet you keep hearing about renewing the "assault weapons ban", as if anyone could go to the local Wall Mart and purchase a fully automatic military assault rifle. 

All these cries for more gun laws would have done nothing to stop this pathologic kid.  Not even banning guns would have stopped it, if as Bsb was referencing, he could have apparently aquired them on the blackmarket, if he had "snapped" that bad.  So, we, as in a society, need to focus on how to identify these mentally fragile/broken folks.  If they can be identified and diagnosed, THEN we can attempt to limit any access to firearms.....to them specifically.  But passing asinine legislation, like higher taxes on ammo does squat to keep bad guys from getting ammo, just makes it harder for the rest of us to better defend ourselves
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:06:54 PM by sirs »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
most legislation is "well intentioned", but not well thought out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEg1VNfX3o
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987