Author Topic: Flu  (Read 1394 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Flu
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/11/flu-strains-vaccine/1827677/

"There is a growing consensus among the public health communities that we need better influenza vaccines," says Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. "We're operating largely in the 1950s for our flu technology.........................................Many European countries already use cell culture techniques, which allow companies to produce vaccine far more quickly, Osterholm says.

Cell-culture technology allows vaccine makers to respond rapidly to "urgent public health needs, such as a pandemic, within weeks," according to Novartis.

The USA's current system — a six- to nine-month process that relies on fertilized chicken eggs to grow viruses — is "archaic," says Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.

Yet while cell cultures will allow companies to manufacture vaccines much more quickly, it doesn't make the vaccine any more effective, Osterholm says.

And Glatter says companies face significant obstacles in developing innovative flu vaccines.

It's "quite difficult for private companies to embark on such an endeavor, in light of the U.S. government's strict policies toward approving vaccines," which must undergo rigorous tests for safety, Glatter says.

This could be improved , and since Influenza is one of the great dangers , it might be a billion well spent.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Flu
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:13:32 PM »
I got paid $200 for a Flu study this year and the past three years.

No flu so far.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
I tend to think the flu shot is mostly a big $cam.
it's not totally useless
but it's not near the panacea that it's implied to be

The link below pretty well sums up my current feelings on the flu shot,
but I am still open-minded about it and willing to learn. By the way the
title is somewhat mis-leading because I think Dr. Helmenstine agrees it
does work sometimes.

"Why the Flu Vaccine Doesn't Work"
By Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa011604a.htm
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »
I have had flu shots for the past eight years, and never contracted the flu even once.

Perhaps it is ineffective for some, but this has not been my experience.

I will continue getting flu shots and getting paid to get them.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
I have had flu shots for the past eight years, and never contracted the flu even once.

I have not had the flu shot the past eight years, and never contracted the flu even once.

Perhaps it is ineffective for some, but this has not been my experience.

The flu shot is ineffective for almost 40% of those that get it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:39:36 PM by Christians4LessGvt »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
The need for a flu shot is in direct relationship to the number of potential carriers you come in contact with on a given day.

School children, office elevators, hospitals, subways or mass transit would all raise the chances of being exposed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »
I have been in a study which is designed to fight the most likely strains of flu that will appear during the coming season. My flu shots have been 100% effective. And I get $200 to participate.

I really, really question that flu shots are only 40% effective. Even if they are, it is still better than doing nothing. I despise getting the flu.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
designed to fight the most likely strains of flu that will appear during the coming season.
Basically a guessing game

My flu shots have been 100% effective.
My non-flu shots have been 100% effective

And I get $200 to participate.
I wouldn't take it for double that, but 2EachHisOwn
kind of a funny novel idea....maybe if they paid people to take it more would.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/332642

I really, really question that flu shots are only 40% effective.

Had a flu shot? You'll be OK -- maybe

By CNN Staff

Fri January 11, 2013

"The vaccine isn't a guarantee that you'll be flu-free. In fact, it's about 62% effective,
said the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Thomas Frieden, on Friday"

Even if they are, it is still better than doing nothing.

I'm not so sure:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/15/fluarix-flu-vaccine-that-can-cause-infertility.aspx

http://www.berglundcenter.com/flushot.html

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/13030-health-officials-push-flu-shots-but-some-question-their-safety

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/

I despise getting the flu.

I despise being a guinea pig in a big billion dollar hype game.

But again....each person should decide whats best for themselves.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
Again, I get paid, and I do not get the flu.

It is hardly a hype game. If there are vaccines that can keep you from getting sick, it is because many people participated in these tests.

Since you love capitalism so very much, people getting paid for doing this should make perfect sense to you.

You are used by this system far more than I am, and you know this.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »

;) :D :o

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Again, I get paid, and I do not get the flu.

I dont get paid to inject harmful substances into my body,
nor would I think that any kind of "good deal".
Yeah go ahead....it's your choice to inject vaccines that
contain formaldehyde, aluminum, some still have mercury,
and other known carcinogens into your body. 2EachHisOwn!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
There are none of those things in any flu vaccine.

Your ignorance of pharmacology surpasses mere doltishness.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
There are none of those things in any flu vaccine.

Flu vaccine - Healthy prevention or harmful chemicals?

By Greta McClain

Sep 11, 2012 in Health

With cold and flu season approaching, we start hearing more and more about the flu vaccine. What we do not hear about are the potential hazards ingredients of the vaccine can cause.

According to the Center for Disease Control, the number one recommended vaccine for 2012 is Fluarix. The ingredients in Fluarix are sodium deoxycholate, formaldehyde, octoxynol-10, α-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate, polysorbate 80, hydrocortisone, gentamicin sulfate, and ovalbumin.

Sodium Deoxycholate - Pierce Protein Biology Products says this is a water-soluble, bile-acid, ionic detergent commonly used in protein methods.

Formaldehyde:  The National Cancer Institute describes formaldehyde as a colorless, flammable, strong-smelling chemical that is used in building materials and to produce many household products.

In 1987, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified formaldehyde as a human carcinogen . In 2011, the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcingoens said formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen.
Pacific Health Center reports the flu shots have two and a half times the formaldehyde as the level listed as "an immediate danger to life and health" by the National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health. They also report that aluminum, which is also in the flu shot in trace amounts, accelerate the activation of the immune system. But once the immune system is ?turned on,? there?s no switch to turn it off. Long-term side effects of this are unknown.

The National Research Council says "formaldehyde is oxidised to formic acid which leads to acidosis and nerve damage.
Acidosis can be described as a condition in which the acidity of the body tissues and fluids is abnormally high. The liver and the kidneys may also be damaged."

Octoxynol-10 - According to CosmeticsInfo.org this ingredient has been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and is approved for use as indirect food additives as components of adhesives, and paper and paperboard in contact with food.

A-tocopheryl hydrogen succinate - Merck Millipore classifies this ingredient as vitamin E.

Polysorbate 80 - A Pub-Med article says Polysorbate 80 is a ubiquitously used solubilizing agent that can cause severe nonimmunologic anaphylactoid reactions.

Hydrocortisone - WebMD says "Use this medication on the skin only. Avoid getting this medication in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get the medication in these areas, rinse with plenty of water."

The NSF says if hydrocortisone is ingested to seek medical attention immediately and that it poses a danger of serious health damage if swallowed.

An individual is not swallowing hydrocortisone when they receive a flu shot, but the chemical is being injected directly into the body so it can be carried throughout the blood stream.

Gentamicin sulfate - Free Medical Dictionary says this is a broad-spectrum antibiotic derived from an actinomycete used in the treatment of various infections. Serious adverse effects are nephrotoxicity, auditory or vestibular ototoxicity, impairment of neuromuscular transmission, and hypersensitivity reactions. Neuromuscular blockade and respiratory paralysis have occurred after administration.

Ovalbumin - Biology Online calls this ingredient a water-soluble albumin which is the primary component of the egg white (about 60-65% of the total protein).

According to Vaccination Information Service mercury is also present in trace amounts as a preservative in the flu vaccine. Mercury is the second most poisonous element known to man and studies have shown that neurons begin to disintegrate in its presence. It has also been found to cause changes to chromosomes. Once it is ingested, injected, or inhaled, it stays within the body and accumulates. Some of the most serious side effects of mercury are liver disorders, injury to the cardiovascular system and hematopoietic system, deafness and ataxia. This University of Calgary video shows how mercury affects the brain.

Often times we hear doctors, pharmacist and public health officials recommend that children and the elderly receive a flu shot.
An article in Eco Child's Play reports that Donald Miller, MD, a cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington, recommends taking vitamin D instead of getting a flu shot. He also says 70 percent of doctors do not get a flu shot.

The article goes on to say that health officials say 5?20 percent of the population contract the flu each year. Approximately 200,000 people require hospitalization and 36,000 people die from the flu. The CDC's National Vital Statistics Reports shows that only 1,138 deaths a year occur due to the flu alone. More than 34,000 of the 36,000″ flu deaths are "influenza-associated" pneumonic and cardiovascular deaths. In other words, people had other pre-existing health conditions which were made more serious by flu.

There is also a lack of evidence that young children benefit from flu shots. A systematic review of 51 studies involving 260,000 children age 6 to 23 months found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than a placebo according to a PubMed report.

The American College of Health Sciences says that vitamin D may help prevent the flu because it plays a critical role in allowing the immune system to successfully defeat viruses of all kinds. It also says Elderberry syrup has been shown by many scientific studies to fight standard strains of influenza. Dr. Oz concurs, saying elderberry extract is very effective at blocking a virus' ability to enter the body.

Since the majority of deaths associated with the flu occur in people who have other serious health issues, it may be wise for the elderly to receive the flu shot. However, those that are otherwise relatively healthy, it may be more prudent to avoid the flu shot and look at more natural and less toxic alternatives.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/332642

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
designed to fight the most likely strains of flu that will appear during the coming season.
Basically a guessing game

It is done with surveys all over the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis/national_flu_survey.htm

http://flusurvey.org.uk/

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »
In the case of the studies in which I have participated they have done a great job, since I have not contracted the flu.