Author Topic: Why post at all?  (Read 694 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why post at all?
« on: May 24, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
An excellent question, posed by Bt.....why post something of substance if there's supposedly no reason to

IMHO, and in no particular order;

This is a debate forum.  It's purpose is to discuss, debate, and yes, challenge others in their positions & opinions.  There is a fair amount of latitude given to posters in how they do that.  It's intellectually lazy for one to use this forum to harp personal insults instead of taking the effort to back up their positions.  And sorry, one person's word on something, doesn't make it the gold standard of truth or fact.  That includes me.  Now while my "style" can be abrasive to the left or even some moderates, I make a conscious effort to avoid any name calling or demeaning who they are as a person.  I don't always succeed, when I'm being personally attacked myself, but I do try, even then 

If I present something from the world of healthcare in general or physical therapy specifically, that doesn't automatically make it immune from any criticism or questioning.  It merely means I have a tad more experience & intimate knowledge in the subject than others might have.  But it doesn't make it the gospel truth 

I won't know military manuevers like some or have fired a machine gun, but it doesn't make another person's opinions on those areas as the gospel truth either, and no more need be said.  Especially when they can't be bothered to back up their supposed superior knowledge

No one drove anyone away.  I didn't drive liberals away (no, I didn't drive H away, he chose to leave, his call), nor did Xo drive conservatives away.  Times change, priorties in time management change, family dynamics change, and interests change.  And while BT and I have been more recently not seeing eye to eye on issues, there is no denying the outstanding effort he's put into this forum, and is to be commended.  I'm hopeful we'll again start seeing more of our older posters, or see some new posters.  I'm confident either would be more receptive to posting, if those still posting focused more on substantive comments & taking the time and energy to debate, vs the intellectually lazy route of claiming why should I, if there's no one left but a bunch of rats

Just saying
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Why post at all?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:30 PM »
I enjoy an intelectual workout , just as I enjoy a sparring .

Enjoing this doesn't make be good at it, but I hope to get better with practice.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »
Ditto...

...and you're "style" Plane, (vs mine especially), is also to be commended.  You have a tolerance that reaches levels I doubt I could ever access, and an ability to help guide posters of differing persuasions to debate/sparr vs mine which generally has a habit of highlighting their gross inadequacies of facts and/or logic.  Again, you are to be commended, as well Bt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
The old Buddhist masters would often hire a drunk, or a lay about, or one with both qualities, as a helper. They did that to work on their compassion, patience, and so forth. When the master would wake up in the morning expecting a cooking fire to have been started, or the meditation Hall to have been swept, and the helper was passed out drunk, it was good practice for the master. That's why I like it in here. You notice most of the time I don't bother telling sirs, or CU4, how f____ing stupid they are. I just ignore them. It's good for my practice. Oh sure, sometimes I slip up and tell them the truth, but most of the time now I just ignore them and feel lucky to have this available for me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you BT for allowing me to put this place to good use. 

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »
......and then we have those examples of why others make a concerted effort to avoid posting here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »
The old Buddhist masters would often hire a drunk, or a lay about, or one with both qualities, as a helper. They did that to work on their compassion, patience, and so forth. When the master would wake up in the morning expecting a cooking fire to have been started, or the meditation Hall to have been swept, and the helper was passed out drunk, it was good practice for the master. That's why I like it in here. You notice most of the time I don't bother telling sirs, or CU4, how f____ing stupid they are. I just ignore them. It's good for my practice. Oh sure, sometimes I slip up and tell them the truth, but most of the time now I just ignore them and feel lucky to have this available for me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you BT for allowing me to put this place to good use. 

BSB

Which of these roles do you see yorself in?