Author Topic: Avoid being narrow minded  (Read 1091 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Avoid being narrow minded
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Avoid being narrow minded
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
well think of it in context of food. I love gravy based comfort food. but after awhile you`re gonna wanna try curry lamb . we really shouldn`t narrow our food choices

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
I'll take in an occasional MSNBHeeHaw "news" program.     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
I have noticed that people seem to be divided into two types when it comes to food: (1) people that will eat only what they are used to and will avoid anything and everything else, and (2) people who will try almost everything at least once.

I am the latter sort: my sister refuses to eat "eeze" food, like Chinese Japanese, Vietnamese and Thai.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
I actually know at least three people  in the no eeze club.  I`ve eaten in the restaurant they love and I find some of it not to my liking. just differing taste

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
remember another strange bias about food. people complain that asian foods consisted of wierd parts of an animals. but french cuisine pretty much use those very same parts also but the main difference about french food and asian is french cost at least $20 more.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
French food can be truly great. So can Chinese food.  I cannot recall a single dish of French food that I disliked. But there have been several Chinese dishes that I really really could not get down. Most of them were Taiwanese.

There is also the problem that some Chinese buffets leave the stuff on the steam table until it has been eaten, and some dishes do not taste that great after they have been on a steam table all day.  I got some sort of food poisoning at DuBarry's, a Chinese buffet in Broward county. I suspect it was a shrimp dish.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:21 AM »
actually I have a problem with shrimp for the past few years. I find it undercooked. the tendency to not precook it before preparation makes it not very palatable for me. i avoid dishes that has it. people tell me just ask for it well done. i just don`t have the heart to explain that it`s so undercooked that well done is still not cooked enough. I noticed nobody else mines so it`s just on my ever growing list of food i don`t eat. it`s probly why I try very hard to eat as many exotic foods as possible since I`m getting picky.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
I like shrimp, but they are probably more likely to become toxic than most other foods. What made me sick was a shrimp dish I had never seen before and have not seen since. It tasted really good, too. I have not returned to DuBarry's.

Chinese buffets seem to go in cycles: when they open, they are great: good prices and a huge variety. After a year or so, they go into a decline, and most of them in Miami go out of business before their 4th birthday. I suspect that they are started by one group and then sold to a greedier bunch, or perhaps their rent is raised.

The people that own commercial real estate here seem to be real idiots with no business sense. They lease to a successful store, then jack up the rent to where the business shuts down. Then they are vacant for a long time. The New China Buffet went out of business two years ago after going through the cycle I mentioned. There is not even a "for rent" sign on the place. I suspect it belongs to some consortium of mainlanders who are using Miami real estate to hide or launder money.

Down the street there is a very nice mall, and over half the sores are empty. Less than a mile away, they are building another mall. It makes little sense.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »
restaurants in general is one of the hardest businesses to run but with a high inventory format like a buffet it`s even harder to just get quality to cost ratio stable. I don`t think i see any buffets in my area with any lasting power.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »
The current rate for lunch at a buffet is $8.95 to $12.95.  If you look at the patrons, you notice that they very probably have huge appetites. They are super sized and do not seem to be coming from aerobics classes. 

When a buffet opens, they have a huge clientele within two weeks, because the locals know that a new buffet will have a huge variety and better food than those that have been in business for a year or so,

Some dishes are always better at a buffet: kung pao chicken, sweet and sour chicken, Gereral Tso's chicken, the noodle dishes, all the soups, all the salads.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
the places I go cost $20 to $25 and it has stuff like sushi and a ton of various seafood. I guess the bay area is different in the buffet catagory

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
There are more expensive buffets on Miami Beach. The prices are higher  on weekends and after 4 PM, but $16.95 is the highest price I have seen on the mainland. They offer crab legs and Mongolian BBQ for the higher price.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 12:59:59 AM »
hmm
mongolian BBQ   is yours which you pick the meats and vegetable and sauce in a bowl and the cook  cooks it on a huge hot iron grill and scoops it all into a clean bowl ?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
That is what they call Mongolian BBQ here, yes. It's pretty good, too.