Author Topic: Language  (Read 966 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Language
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
I like to think i have two brains when it come to language. I do behave differently when i speak chinese .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
I like to think i have two brains when it come to language. I do behave differently when i speak chinese .

Do you think that understanding Chinese (as a tonal language) influences your musical senses?

Or is it possible to know?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »
Very possible because i like chinese opera but i was told i'm the only that does

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4W0bnI068

I'm banned from all my workplaces from playing that
But if you wonder how my dialect sounds like to other chinese ,here's a sample

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2rqm1KtGhY

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:40:19 AM »
I sometimes I say my dad left china not because of the communist but because of the music.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:43 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc4W0bnI068

Not going to be my favorite , I never did like Romeo and Juliet .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
Chinese opera requires subtitles to be intelligible: the music distorts the tones, I am told.
I could not stand listening to Chinese opera for more than 10 minutes, but I can't stand Western opera either, especially the bits where the soprano does that tremolo bit, that annoying warble than sounds like a cat being sent through a wringer. I can tolerate some American musicals, but many drive me out of the room.

Someone holds a screech for over 45 seconds and the audience applauds. I am aware that it is hard to do, but so it scratching a chalkboard for 45 seconds.

I think that Klingon opera in Star Trek was a sort of inside joke on opera in general.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Not sure of any distortion of tones since thr senior center at my local chinatown plays those opera all the time and those folks just love it. Lots of smiles.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1066413
http://www.npr.org

The theory is that learning a tonal language at an early age teaches one a skill something like perfect pitch.

Making it possible that this music has features that Chinese speakers can commonly hear , but people whose primary language is not a tonal language seldom develop perfect pitch, nor anything like it, cannot hear .

That a different way of speaking can promote a different way of thinking seems fascinating to me , and might explain for myself why I am so hopeless at learning other languages. Like Winston Churchill I am too invested in English to be malleable to another vocabulary , another grammar , another sorting system.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
i very much doubt I have perfect pitch but I definately know I`m more inclined to pickup new languages than others. I notice I can speak many languages phrases than most people around me.

philipino,mongolian,german,gaelic,kilingon,bette etc.

I just chaulk it up to my work in the museum being exposed to people all over the world but now that i think of it nobody else who works there doesn`t seem to pick up phrases.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 01:54:07 PM »
  If I understood the talent of picking up language better , would I then know better how to develop this as a talent?

I think of myself as intelligent enough , but in spite of repeated attempts I have learned only a pitiful tiny Spanish vocabulary , and my accent and grammar seem better suited to mirth than communication.

It is possible that I could learn a lot more about how it works , without learning how to actually make it work.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
not a tip and maybe information that might make it harder to learn a new language is for us bilingual people we`re not translating one language to another. we are actually think whatever language were presently speaking which is why we stumble when we trying to translate. as I said before two brains

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »
Yes.
This could very well be the bit I do not have.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/30/258376009/how-language-seems-to-shape-ones-view-of-the-world

Vladimir Nabokov, who was fully trilingual in English, French and Russian. She says Nabokov wrote three memoirs: He published one in English, and when another publishing house asked for one in Russian, he accepted, thinking he would simply translate his first memoir.

"When Nabokov started translating it into Russian, he recalled a lot of things that he did not remember when he was writing it in English, and so in essence it became a somewhat different book," Pavlenko says. "It came out in Russian and he felt that in order to represent his childhood properly to his American readership, he had to produce a new version. So the version of Nabokov's autobiography we know now is actually a third attempt, where he had to recall more things in Russian and then re-translate them from Russian back into English."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:46 PM »

My favorite Operas are Gilbert and Sullivan, which are practically musical jokes.

Not much like the rest of Opera, which has so much emphasis on beauty.