Author Topic: Trump loses some more women's votes  (Read 5372 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trump loses some more women's votes
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »

Tape of Trump's Crude Remarks About Women Rocks Campaign
Damaging tape emerges two days before what is widely seen as a make-or-break presidential debate.
Mike Nizza
Mike Nizza
mikenizza
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs
JenniferJJacobs
Kevin Cirilli
Kevin Cirilli
kevcirilli
October 7, 2016 — 4:45 PM EDT
Updated on October 7, 2016 — 7:41 PM EDT
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
1475875177_Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 5.18.59 PM

Image from a video obtained by the Washington Post of Donald Trump arriving on the set of "Days of Our Lives" in 2005.
Video obtained by The Washington Post
Don't Miss Out — Follow Bloomberg Politics On
Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube
Recommended
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks on Aug. 5, 2016, in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Trump Insists the Exonerated Central Park Five Are Guilty
Is Trump Comment a 'Binders Full of Women' on Steroids?
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Reddit
Share on Google+

Two days before what is widely seen as a make-or-break presidential debate, Donald Trump was again forced to defend himself against Republicans and Democrats after a tape emerged of him speaking about groping women, adultery and other crude, sexually aggressive comments.

In the recording, published by the Washington Post, the Republican presidential nominee speaks of trying and failing to seduce a married woman during a 2005 conversation with Billy Bush, a television host, that took place before they taped a segment for "Access Hollywood."

“I did try and f--- her. She was married,” said Trump, whose third marriage began earlier that year. He also said he would "grab them by the p---y," referring to women he was attracted to. “And when you’re a star they let you do it,” he says. “You can do anything.”

The condemnations were swift and emphatic, beginning with the top of both the Republican and Democratic parties.

"No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever,” said Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton denounced Trump's remarks as "horrific," saying "We cannot allow this man to become president."
The Fallout

In the immediate aftermath of the news, some Trump insiders were candid in expressing fears the tape could prove fatal to the campaign, but several others played down the impact, saying the tape was more than 10 years old and Trump had immediately apologized.

While most Republicans initially kept quiet, Democrats in battleground states excoriated them for continuing to support their candidate. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee even re-circulated a Republican press release previewing Speaker Paul Ryan's appearance on Saturday on a stage with Trump in Wisconsin.

Minutes after the Post story was published, Trump released a statement that acknowledged what he said and launched a new accusation against the former president and husband of Hillary Clinton.

“This was locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago, " he said. "Bill Clinton has said far worse to me on the golf course - not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended.”

Equally unforgiving were two of Trump's most prominent foes in the GOP primary who have since refused to endorse him. Ohio Governor John Kasich called Trump's comments "indefensible." Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor and cousin of Billy Bush, invoked his family. "As the grandfather of two precious girls, I find that no apology can excuse away Donald Trump's reprehensible comments degrading women," he wrote on Twitter.
Already Behind

Trump is trailing Clinton by 4.7 percentage points in national polls tracked by Real Clear Politics. He lags Clinton in support from women voters by 14.8 points, according to Bloomberg's Poll Decoder. Without broadening his coalition to include more women and minorities, he faces an exceedingly narrow path to victory.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump's former campaign manager turned CNN commentator, struggled to defend his former boss's comments. "Clearly this is not how women should be spoken about," Lewandowski said during a phone interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "Is this defensible? I don't think so."

Lewandowski said he would advise Trump to find a way to discuss the comments "with a serious journalist" before Sunday night's debate. "If I was consulting Donald Trump right now, my advice would be, in addition to the statement that he's put out ... my advice would be, sit down and do an interview," he said.

Trump adviser Keith Kellogg, a retired Army lieutenant general who has helped the candidate with debate prep and was in a national security meeting at Trump Tower this morning, said he still has confidence in Trump. “I think ‘change’ is what has others nervous,” Kellogg said. “We are a great republic and we will be fine.”

In a sign of how Trump's standing in the election could affect down-ballot races, Senator Kelly Ayotte, already under fire from challenger Maggie Hassan for saying she "absolutely" thought Trump was a role model for children during a recent debate, quickly condemned Trump's comments.

"His comments are totally inappropriate and offensive," the New Hampshire Republican said in a statement emailed by her campaign.

Ayotte, however, has repeatedly said she will support Trump but not endorse him.

Other Senate Republicans in tough races were facing similar attacks Friday night for continuing to stand by Trump.
A History of Controversy

Throughout the election, Trump has fought off accusations of sexism while videos, recordings and testimonies from former associates and co-workers outline a history of vulgar comments.

A series of interviews Trump did on The Howard Stern Show during the 1990s and 2000s revealed him commenting on women’s physical and sexual attractiveness. This week, Trump was accused of repeatedly making “sexist and lewd” comments on the set of his reality show The Apprentice, according to a Monday report from the Associated Press.

Keep up with the race of a lifetime.
Get our politics newsletter daily.

The Republican has also come under fire for sexualizing his own daughters. In April, Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" aired a segment from 1994 in which Trump said Tiffany Trump, then one-year-old, had inherited her mother’s legs but “time will tell” if she would also inherit something else, motioning to his chest. During a 2006 segment on ABC's "The View," Trump said that his daughter Ivanka Trump has a “very nice figure,” adding “if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

Following the first presidential debate, former Miss Universe Alicia Machado publicly condemned him for criticizing her weight and calling her "Miss Piggy" and "Miss Housekeeping."

During a Wednesday interview with KSNV in Las Vegas, Trump defended his comments and insults toward women as “entertainment." "A lot of that was done for the purpose of entertainment, there's nobody that has more respect for women than I do," he said.
Regrets and Provocations

On the campaign trail, Trump has repeatedly said he regrets some things in his past, but argues that he had no idea he’d be running for president one day.

“Now, had I known that I would be doing this I would have commenced with certain television interviews, radio interviews,” he said in Pueblo, Colorado on Monday. “I would have said things slightly differently. And I wouldn't have had as good a time in life and as much fun in life, but it would have made my life as a politician a little bit easier.”

As he did in Friday's statement in response to the tape obtained by the Post, Trump turned the topic into an attack on his Democratic rival on Monday. “You know, these people, holier than thou, they never said anything around the breakfast room table," he said "They never do. Bill and Hillary never say anything like this around the breakfast table. Can you imagine what they say?”

Still, Trump said the vulgar term on the campaign trail on the evening before the New Hampshire primary, his first victory of 2016. At the final rally on the eve of the primary, Trump repeated an attendee's comment that Cruz, who had beat him in the Iowa caucuses, was a "p---y."

"You know what she said? Shout it out,” Trump said. The woman repeated her remark. “You're not allowed to say that and I never expected to hear you say that again. I never expect to hear you say that again. She said he's a p---y,” Trump said.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Trump loses some more women's votes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »
    This is a loss.

I guess we should put Bill Clinton back in the Whitehouse.

Six of one , Half dozen of another.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
Bill Clinton was not stupid enough to say such things.
Certainly not to have them recorded.
He was an amateur compared to JFK, by the way.

Trump sees women as things for pleasure and ornaments.
I don't think anyone can make the case that  Bill sees Hillary that way.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
Bill Clinton was not stupid enough to say such things.

Oh?

Hillary also not too stupid?

Are you aware of how such accusations were handled ? Especially when fresh.

Later on Bill writes a book, and says he did such things "because he could".

Hillary must have a lot of patience , to let Bill live so long.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »
Bill Clinton was a pretty good president. Far better than Reagan or either Bush.
And Hillary will be better than Trump and possibly better than Bill.

Bill Clinton is not running. But it is typical of Trump to blame Bill for HIS stupid quotes.
I can't imagine how Bill could have said anything worse. You would have to be an advocate of bestiality to be worse,

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Bill Clinton was a pretty good president. Far better than Reagan or either Bush.

So being very crude with Women does not matter , a guy can be a good president regardless.

And Hillary will be better than Trump and possibly better than Bill.

Bill Clinton is not running. But it is typical of Trump to blame Bill for HIS stupid quotes.
I can't imagine how Bill could have said anything worse. You would have to be an advocate of bestiality to be worse

Hahahahahaha   I loose track too.
His name is Donald.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:50:26 PM »
Trump claimed that what he said was just locker room banter and that he had heard Bill Clinton say even worse things. In other words, he pushed the blame onto Bill.
 Just like he blamed his years of birther attacks on Obama on Hillary.

It is what a Big Swinging Dick does.
Elect this clown and we shall have weekly, if not nightly, examples of this crap by Trump.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 12:16:50 AM »
Is Trumps apology better than Bills apology?

Trump is accused of making crude jokes two decades ago.

Bill Clinton is accused of assault and making cruel jokes to his victims .

There is not a real equivalence , there are just so many thumbs on that scale.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
What Trump said was not a crude joke. It revealed an attitude towards women that even Paul Ryan found so disgraceful that he refused to attend a Trump event. Of course, Trump issued a half-hearted "apology" and had to add that he had heard Clinton say things that were "much worse."

I cannot imagine that Clinton could have said anything much worse that did not involve bestiality. Can you?

Mentioning Bill Clinton in his apology is typical Trump behavior.He is NEVER responsible, and even when the evidence indicates that he is totally responsible, it is still okay, because there are others who are even worse. Or so he claims.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 09:57:44 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/clinton-cheated-because-i-could-16-06-2004/

What Bill admits to is indeed worse than just saying crude things.

But Clinton is on the proper side of the hypocrisy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
Bill Clinton was impeached and rusticated for several years. He has paid his debt to society. Trump has not. He is a parasite and an egomaniac.

He is totally unfit to run my country.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 04:21:37 AM »
Which makes Clinton all the worse & unacceptable
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
I thought he beat the rap with clever lies?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 04:23:32 AM »
well as a former athlete I can`t say this talk does not exist but it`s also kind of a double standard since men mostly tolerate it but women call it assault.

you can`t say straight men don`t do crotch shots. the antics that immature men do is borderline  gay  except gays are not stupid enough to do this.it`s totally hetero.

i find the outrage men claiming it`s not done comical

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:00:54 AM »
   Loosing to Hillary Clinton is hard work.