Author Topic: A poor Canadian  (Read 1902 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A poor Canadian
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
My opinion on debt has changed in the past few years... due, in no small part, to being in debt.

For a long time, yeah, that debt felt like sin. Those red numbers were a failing on my part, they represented insufficient work ethic and gluttonous indulgence and poor planning. Sure, I was making the required minimum monthly payments on my credit card, but I had a negative balance and I was bleeding away interest with every passing month. How irresponsible, how stupid, how low-class of me!

But, as I've come to learn, most humans on this rock have a negative balance of some sort. Many of the "richest" people you see are actually thousands (if not millions) in the hole, when you total everything up. Being rich isn't about the total amount of money you have. It's about what you can do.

Am I in the red? Yes I am. But if I lost my dayjob and somehow Patreon was outlawed tomorrow, I know I could keep the lights on and keep food on the table for a few months while I looked for a new employer. I feel financially secure, and that feeling of security allows me to do more things.

And y'know what? A lot of that feeling of security is due to being Canadian. I know if I get laid off or if I have a heart attack, the government's got my back. I feel wealthy because I live in a rich nation. I've often said that the wealth of a society is determined not only by the height of the ceiling, but by the depth of the floor. A few nice, cushy, overlapping social security nets promote risk-taking - new ventures, new businesses, new jobs. This comic right here is living proof.

Of course, I also feel that the average person having a negative net worth is unsustainable; a symptom of the decay of late-stage capitalism... but hopefully we can scare up some bread to offset that particular cumulative burn.

...too far of a reach with that metaphor?
http://www.leftoversoup.com/

Can society function with practically everyone in debt?
With the nation itself in debt also?

Is this sort of indebtedness a threat to society being free?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A poor Canadian
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »
Debt is like owning a pet if done properly you will get benefits but if done wrong you can lose things in your home . Some people just cannot handle debt.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
my Dad hated debt and taught me to hate debt too
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
good newsabout millenials they learned from our mistake and avoid using credit cards. out of all the negatives you hear about them you don`t hear about them being irresponsible with money

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
you're probably right Kimba
although I certainly have my gripes about millennials
another thing they seem to do better than my generation
is they seem as a group to not abuse alcohol when young as much as my generation did
and they also appear to not get behind the wheel drunk as easily as my generation did
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
if you think about it businesses would be wise to deal with them over us. We`re more likely trash the place. not saying I still actually associate with people like that or void thier phonecalls