Author Topic: SCOTUS upholds PBA ban act  (Read 3560 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SCOTUS upholds PBA ban act
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:29 PM »

And to really cement myself as an agente provocateuse: IF ANYONE CAN EXPRESS THEIR PRO-LIFE, ANTI-ABORTION STANCE WITHOUT USING THE WORDS MORAL, CHURCH, SANCTITY, BELIEF, RELIGION, FEELING, ETC. I will listen. I want to hear cold hard analysis, not something stemming from someone's feelings or beliefs, of which I am not under duty and obligation to give much of a expletive about. You don't want my philosophies being used to legislate to you; please don't beg, ask, or force yours onto me.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

May I use the word "Cruelty" or does this word have any meaning to the non religious?

A Human fetus is human , but you may treat it in ways that would get you arrested if you did them to a dog.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »
And to really cement myself as an agente provocateuse: IF ANYONE CAN EXPRESS THEIR PRO-LIFE, ANTI-ABORTION STANCE WITHOUT USING THE WORDS MORAL, CHURCH, SANCTITY, BELIEF, RELIGION, FEELING, ETC. I will listen....
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

May I use the word "Cruelty" or does this word have any meaning to the non religious?  A Human fetus is human , but you may treat it in ways that would get you arrested if you did them to a dog.

I don't think so.....that can all be connected to "feeling" I think
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:48:00 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »
If the abortion procedure ban is found to be constitutional, not only would it prohibit a specific late-term procedure—intact dilation and extraction (D & X)—but could possibly outlaw every abortion procedure performed after 12 weeks of pregnancy (the first trimester), including the more common dilation and evacuation (D & E) method. This could have dramatic consequences, since 143,000 American women annually have abortions during their second or third trimester. It would be particularly hard on women awaiting the results of amniocentesis, the common diagnostic tool for severe birth defects, which is usually administered during the 15th to 18th weeks of pregnancy. If the ban is judged constitutional, there may be no legal way to terminate certain pregnancies, no matter how grave the birth defect discovered.

The ban would also prevent doctors from providing a D & X procedure in certain circumstances when it’s considered the safer option, such as cases involving preeclampsia or some cancers. As Eve Gartner, lead counsel for the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, explained to the justices, “In some cases…[it] averts uterine perforation, it averts the spread of sepsis or infection; it [potentially] averts the spread of…malignant cancer throughout the woman’s body. … This Court has never recognized a state interest that was sufficient to trump the woman’s interest in her health.”

Taken from the Winter 2007 issue of Ms. Magazine
http://www.msmagazine.com/winter2007/swingshift.asp
So when I had a missed abortion at 16 weeks (the term used when the baby dies but stays in the womb) I couldn't have had a D &C.  What a horrible thing to do to already in-shock people.You go happily to your OB appointment, and...the doctor doesn't hear a heartbeat.   
They make you go through labor...to deliver a dead fetus?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:35:12 PM by Lanya »
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 07:51:55 PM »
If the abortion procedure ban is found to be constitutional, not only would it prohibit a specific late-term procedure—intact dilation and extraction (D & X)....

PC speak for let's pull the little monster's head thru, and crush his little skull in a few times      >:(
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
If the ban is judged constitutional, there may be no legal way to terminate certain pregnancies, no matter how grave the birth defect discovered.

In fairness, why should that matter? Is a human with birth defects any less human?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

modestyblase

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »
Lanya-
http://www.scotusblog.com/movabletype/archives/05-380_All.pdf
Justice Ginsberg's 73 pages of dissent.

''Today's decision is alarming,'' Ginsburg wrote. "...For the first time since Roe, the court blesses a prohibition with no exception safeguarding a woman's health."

Ginsburg read a summary of her opinion from the bench and said the majority opinion "cannot be understood as anything other than an effort to chip away a right declared again and again by this court, and with increasing comprehension of its centrality to women's lives."

The opinion ''tolerates, indeed applauds, federal intervention to ban nationwide a procedure found necessary and proper in certain cases by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.''

Opponents of the so-called Partial Birth Abortion Act ''have not demonstrated that the Act would be unconstitutional in a large fraction of relevant cases,'' Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the 5-4 majority opinion. Kennedy was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 12:30:35 PM »
''Today's decision is alarming,'' Ginsburg wrote. "...For the first time since Roe, the court blesses a prohibition with no exception safeguarding a woman's health."
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Unfortunately she is entirely wrong .

The decision to uphold was quite provisional on there being alternative means to kill.

The diffrence is small , but a decision to strike down the law would have made Abortion not just the least regulated of all medical procedures as it still is , but it would have invalidated a states right to regulate it at all.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 01:28:02 PM »
And what keeps getting grossly distorted, is that even if RvW wee ever overturned, (which is doubtful) that does NOT prevent or criminalize abortions.  It simply goes back to the state level, where it belonged in the 1st place.