Author Topic: "Truth Matters"  (Read 16091 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Truth Matters"
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2007, 06:25:41 AM »
<<... MT seems to think that most people know this code. >>

Yeah, well that's a little more realistic than pretending not to know what I'm talking about.

<<I have never heard anyone speak of a code at all unless thay were speaking of someone elese.>>

Maybe that's because everyone you talk to uses the same code.  To them, it's not a code any more, it's a language.

I find it interesting to see the level of denial that most Americans seem to practice with regard to their own country:  there is no class system in America, there is no racism in America, there is no one-party state in America.  A "DC jury" means a jury drawn from a "company town" even though most of the jury pool wouldn't work for the company anyway and despite the fact that the black urban underclass of the District is like the black urban underclass of any other large U.S. city.

Why would I learn code? The only thing that the supposed existance of this code produces is the reversal of what I am trying to express.
What would the use of such a code accomplish?

I understand that such tricks might be usefull to a repressed social group, but why would anyone need such a thing without the repression?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2007, 09:15:04 AM »
A "DC jury" means a jury drawn from a "company town" even though most of the jury pool wouldn't work for the company anyway and despite the fact that the black urban underclass of the District is like the black urban underclass of any other large U.S. city.

Except, of course, the jury was mostly white.

In addition, most of the DC population work for the Federal government, directly or indirectly.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
<<Except, of course, the jury was mostly white.>>

A fact not known to plane when he blithely explained away Libby's conviction - -  and the fact that not a single one of twelve jurors after hearing all of the evidence and argument had even one reasonable doubt in the matter - -   by attributing it all to "a DC jury."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
<<Why would I learn code? >>

How can you help learning code?  It's in common use.  Others use it, you hear it.  Unless you're a total fucking moron, you understand what they're talking about.  Maybe not the first time.  Maybe it sails right over your head the first time.  Then you hear it again.  A third time.  Somewhere along the road, you figure out that "a DC jury" means pretty much the same as "a Brooklyn jury" or "a Bronx jury" and not the same as a "blue-ribbon jury" or an "Orange County jury."

<<The only thing that the supposed existance of this code produces is the reversal of what I am trying to express.
What would the use of such a code accomplish?>>

Lets racists express racist thoughts hopefully without catching any flak for it.

<<I understand that such tricks might be usefull to a repressed social group, but why would anyone need such a thing without the repression?>>

Well, today, thanks to the liberals and the "politically correct" crowd, racists ARE a repressed social group.  Now they have to call themselves "conservatives" and they can't even (excuse the racist pun) call a spade a spade.  They're being forced further and further back into the closet, which is a good thing.  Some prime examples are Sen. Macacawitz' forced reliance on arcane foreign slang where once the good ole American N-word would have done the trick, and Trent Lott getting hauled over the coals "merely" for expressing regret over Strom Thurmond's failure to win the Presidency.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »
A fact not known to plane when he blithely explained away Libby's conviction - -  and the fact that not a single one of twelve jurors after hearing all of the evidence and argument had even one reasonable doubt in the matter - -   by attributing it all to "a DC jury."

Yes, they were so convinced, they had no problem coming to a verdict.

They just liked spending time in the jury room, so they waited 9 days to vote, and spent that time asking all kinds of questions of the judge about what "reasonable doubt" means, just for kicks.

Oh yeah, and all those quotes from jury members later about how they felt he was only the "fall guy"? Again, only for shits and grins.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
Lets racists express racist thoughts hopefully without catching any flak for it.

That's ok, we all know that racists like to point out the "hidden racism" in others... We'll just ignore it in you.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
<<They just liked spending time in the jury room, so they waited 9 days to vote, and spent that time asking all kinds of questions of the judge about what "reasonable doubt" means, just for kicks...

Proving that they all gave this a hell of a lot more thought than plane wants to credit them with, explored the charges with extreme thoroughness and at the end of it all were left with not a single reasonable doubt among any of the twelve as to his guilt.

<<Oh yeah, and all those quotes from jury members later about how they felt he was only the "fall guy"? Again, only for shits and grins.>>

ALL those quotes?  How many jurors even gave a quote like that?  TWO?  And fall guys are left holding the bag while bigger fish get away, but that doesn't add up to innocence - - either in my books or the jury's.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2007, 11:28:43 PM »
What struck me about the statement of the Juror was that  they were disapointed that the big fish did not testify .

Or get charged with anything.

I perceive a presmption of guilt.

Mucho

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 12:06:45 AM »
What struck me about the statement of the Juror was that  they were disapointed that the big fish did not testify .

A percption of guilt might be more aprpo

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 10:33:43 AM »

To perceive guilt on the basis of the gossip learned before the trial process seems to be contrary to the reason to have a trial.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
<<What struck me about the statement of the Juror was that  they were disapointed that the big fish did not testify .

<<Or get charged with anything.

<<I perceive a presmption of guilt.>>

Since he made that statement AFTER they had heard all the evidence, deliberated thoroughly and then delivered their unanimous verdict, I would say what you perceived was in fact a thorough conviction of Libby's guilt and some very well-founded suspicions that bigger Republicans of greater guilt got away with even bigger crimes.

gipper

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
While all the time recognizing the racial and ethnic diversity of any given venue's jury pool, but most importantly fully appreciating the individual character of each particular juror, it is nonetheless appropriate at times to assume a general, defining characteristic or set of characteristics, often ethnically- or racially-based, for any given panel when the trial themes and dynamics play upon them and bring them not only to prominence but to balance-tipping significance. Such was the case with the OJ jury, as it was with the Simi Valley trial of the police assaulters of Rodney King. Construing it otherwise is simply a "head in the sand" strategy designed to sanitize rather than illuminate.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »
I think the mistake our "conservative" friends made in this particular case was assuming (wrongfully as it turned out) that a DC jury would be an inner-city black jury, which probably would have been a credible explanation for a conviction if Libby had in fact been manifestly innocent but nevertheless equally manifestly an incarnation of The Man.   They then had to scatter in confusion when the actual racial make-up of the jury was revealed, inventing on the fly new meanings for "DC jury."  It was pretty funny, actually.

Mucho

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »

To perceive guilt on the basis of the gossip learned before the trial process seems to be contrary to the reason to have a trial.

I am sure the juror was not talking about Libby's guilt (voir dire should have eliminated that possibility anyway and Libby had the best attorneys in DC) but the quilt of the White House which was entered into the trial by Libby's attorneys when they called Libby a scape goat. That guilt will come out in time if only in history.
Libby was evil, but not the most evil in this traitorous scheme.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2007, 05:55:49 PM »
I think the mistake our "conservative" friends made in this particular case was assuming (wrongfully as it turned out) that a DC jury would be an inner-city black jury, which probably would have been a credible explanation for a conviction if Libby had in fact been manifestly innocent but nevertheless equally manifestly an incarnation of The Man.   They then had to scatter in confusion when the actual racial make-up of the jury was revealed, inventing on the fly new meanings for "DC jury."  It was pretty funny, actually.

Funny that the only people who made the assumption that "DC jury" meant "all black jury" was liberals. Having lived in the DC area, I knew just what he meant.