Author Topic: Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana  (Read 3496 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:28:37 PM »
Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana

ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana (CNN) -- Authorities in Alexandria, Louisiana, arrested two people after nooses were seen hanging from the back of a red pickup Thursday night, the city's mayor told CNN.

"I believe that we've confirmed at least one minor" and one adult were arrested, Mayor Jacques Roy said.

A CNN I-Reporter sent in photo of the truck.

Roy said the incident is "not indicative" of Alexandria and that local authorities will look into the matter "completely, thoroughly and transparently."

Alexandria is less than an hour away from Jena, Louisiana, and was a staging area Thursday for many protesters who went to the smaller town to demonstrate against the treatment of six black teens known as the "Jena 6" in racially charged incidents.

The photograph was sent to CNN by Petty Officer 2nd Class Casanova Love, 26, of the U.S. Navy who is stationed in Hawaii. He's visiting his family in Alexandria.

Love said he was standing outside a club with some friends Thursday night when he saw a red pickup drive by slowly with two nooses hanging from it.

He said the truck continued up the street and passed by a large group of Jena 6 protesters standing outside a bus stop, and was then pulled over by police.

Asked why he decided to send the photo to CNN, Love said, "People need to see this. It's 2007, and we still have fools acting like it's 1960."

Richpo64

Re: Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:56:52 PM »
So now it's illegal to own or display a noose?

What's next?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
What's next?

Well, rope. Duh.

"Materials used for constructing a noose."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:07:04 PM »
Inciting racial violence might be the crime.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Richpo64

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
>>Inciting racial violence might be the crime.<<

So if I hang a noose on my car, and nothing happens, am I guilty of this new crime of insighting racial violence?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:15:59 PM »

What's next?

I had mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the guy who displayed nooses out of the back of his pickup was at least an asshole, and obviously a racist.

At the same time, I thought that arresting him might have been a bit over the top. He made a public display, but he didn't hurt anyone. If we want to start down this route, what about the debate on flag burning? Again, a display, but unless you wrap someone up in the burning flag, I don't think a person should be arrested for it.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 01:17:47 PM »
>>Inciting racial violence might be the crime.<<

So if I hang a noose on my car, and nothing happens, am I guilty of this new crime of insighting racial violence?

It is probably a judgement call left to the officers or the DA. Attempting to incite a riot is by no means a "new crime." It came over to the colonies with British law.

The phrase "read you the Riot Act" was coined from the actual reading of the Riot Act of 1714, which was law in the UK and her colonies. It was one of the first law incorporated into the new United States of America.

So, nothing new there. If you overboard with free speech then you get sent to the bighouse. I'm sure the noose joke will go over well in the shower room.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »

What's next?

I had mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the guy who displayed nooses out of the back of his pickup was at least an asshole, and obviously a racist.

At the same time, I thought that arresting him might have been a bit over the top. He made a public display, but he didn't hurt anyone. If we want to start down this route, what about the debate on flag burning? Again, a display, but unless you wrap someone up in the burning flag, I don't think a person should be arrested for it.

Is the flag burning taking place in a charged atmosphere likely to incite a violent riot?

I think that is the pertinent question. I agree that protected a piece of cloth (likely made in China) through a Constitutional Amendment is beyond ridiculous. But, it becomes dangerous when you start inciting violence.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Richpo64

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »
>>"Attempting to incite a riot is by no means a "new crime." <<

That's not what you said. You said inciting racial violence. Do you read what you write or do you just ignore it and then lie about it?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 01:25:50 PM »

What's next?

Is the flag burning taking place in a charged atmosphere likely to incite a violent riot?

I think that is the pertinent question. I agree that protected a piece of cloth (likely made in China) through a Constitutional Amendment is beyond ridiculous. But, it becomes dangerous when you start inciting violence.

I think I would have been more supportive of the arrest if the man drove through Jena - in the middle of the protests - displaying nooses. This was just an asshole an hour away.

I would then also ask, all of the good ol' boys with Confederate Flags on their pickups who are within an hour drive of Jena - should they too be arrested? Certainly African Americans consider the Confederate Flag to be inflammatory.

Richpo64

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »
>>I had mixed feelings about this. Obviously, the guy who displayed nooses out of the back of his pickup was at least an asshole, and obviously a racist.<<

Yup and yup.

>>At the same time, I thought that arresting him might have been a bit over the top. He made a public display, but he didn't hurt anyone. If we want to start down this route, what about the debate on flag burning? Again, a display, but unless you wrap someone up in the burning flag, I don't think a person should be arrested for it.<<

Agreed. I'm sure if the left had their way they'd put outlaw plenty of things they don't like. Take the Confederate flag. I'm sure they'd love to toss you in the slammer for flying it anywhere. Look out Bo and Luke! If you're looking for real fascism all you have to do is watch the left.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
the noose is legal
he might be using it to kill something for fun
but inciting a riot is not
so the question of intent is what`s going on here

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 01:52:04 PM »
Noose = threat of lynching (violence)
Confederate flag = Racism, secession (not necessarily violent)
Flag burning = disgust with U.S. actions at home and/or abroad (non-violent)

The Confederate flag and the burning of the U.S. flag can't even remotely be banned from public display, as objectionable as the former may be.

One argument for banning the noose display is that it advocates violence against blacks. At least in the context of what's currently going on in the area.  Is it an incitement to the crowd to riot?  I think that's stretching it.  Hard to see a red-neck punk already inclined to riot and just waiting for the signal before he starts.  I think it's more likely to be construed as a threat against blacks - - don't forget what us good Southern whitefolk can do to YOU, niggah.  Keep 'em in their place, keep 'em down.

I'd consider it a death threat and I'd charge the owners with uttering death threats.  You'll see, nothing will happen to those crackers.  It's the South and despite whatever bullshit you hear in this forum from its defenders, it's a whole nuther world down there.  As events like Jena continue to demonstrate despite all this "New South" baloney they love to float about.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »
>>"Attempting to incite a riot is by no means a "new crime." <<

That's not what you said. You said inciting racial violence. Do you read what you write or do you just ignore it and then lie about it?

Inciting racial violence would be a subsection of inciting a riot.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Richpo64

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 02:10:20 PM »
>>Inciting racial violence would be a subsection of inciting a riot.<<

Please provide any State statute that has such a subset.