Author Topic: The definitional dispute over Cuban poverty  (Read 602 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
The definitional dispute over Cuban poverty
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »
The definitional dispute over Cuban poverty

27 Feb 2008 12:08 pm

I'm fascinated by the comment section to this Brad DeLong post, in which many of the commenters struggle to redefine poverty so that it excludes Cuba. Most of the arguments are daft. I'm particularly floored by the people arguing that begging and prostitution are not a result of poverty, but rather of Cuba's currency controls--as if not being able to earn enough money to live on is somehow different and better if your plight is the direct result of a government edict.

http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/02/the_definitional_dispute_over.php

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The definitional dispute over Cuban poverty
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
I`ve read several articles about the poverty in cuba.
that most people simply can`t get upset if someone resort to prostitution to earn money.
the common response is howelse is she gonna make money.
nobody is happy about it ,but it`s accepted

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The definitional dispute over Cuban poverty
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
The difference between Cuban prostitution and the same thing in say Santo Domingo is that in Cuba is is always an individual thing: no cathouses, no pimps or anything like that. There is no way that anyone with a regular Cuban job could afford to go to a tourist nightclub where they won't even take Cuban pesos, only Convertible pesos, which you can't get without buying them in dollars first. So if you want to party and you are a cute young woman, all you need to do is to hang out around the Malecon until a European or Canadian tourist appears.

As a rule shame is not much of an element in prostitution in either place among the common class of people. In Santo DomIngo, the rich and middle class would b shamed by it, but in Cuba, the upper classes are all in Miami. It is typical for poor Dominican women to work in bars and occasionally engage in something that is not entirely prostitution with men who drop by. This is unlike much of Mexico and Central America, where whores are clearly whores and often have some pimp to support.

I have deduced this from talking to many Cubans here and by visiting Santo Domingo a number of times.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."