Author Topic: New Show on History Channel  (Read 3478 times)

fatman

New Show on History Channel
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »
New show about modern logging in the Pacific Northwest.  I worked in the woods for two years after high school, this is as real as it gets, though with a lot less cussing.

Ax Men

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Show on History Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
New show about modern logging in the Pacific Northwest.  I worked in the woods for two years after high school, this is as real as it gets, though with a lot less cussing.

You mean it's not like this?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg[/youtube]
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

fatman

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
You mean it's not like this?

LOL, not quite.  Funny clip though.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »
I really like the show about the crab fishermen - Deadliest Catch. Really, that and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and Top Gear are the only TV I watch anymore.

I tried watching Ax Men, but I haven't gotten into it that much. I think it is probably because I'm not from that area and not used to that kind of forest (too many evergreens!). It is some really beautiful country though.

Did you ever see anyone get seriously hurt out there?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

fatman

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
I never witnessed a serious accident, did see someone nick themselves with a chainsaw once but he didn't cut his foot off or anything.  A good friend of mine in high school (Royce) began to work in the woods right out of high school also, his dad owned one of the larger logging operations around this area.  His first day, he was falling a tree and it barber chaired and kicked back, and took his head off.  It's an extremely dangerous line of work.

Speech mentioning Royce Klingel
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:55:56 AM by fatman »

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
I never witnessed a serious accident, did see someone nick themselves with a chainsaw once but he didn't cut his foot off or anything.  A good friend of mine in high school (Royce) began to work in the woods right out of high school also, his dad owned one of the larger logging operations around this area.  His first day, he was falling a tree and it barber chaired and kicked back, and took his head off.  It's an extremely dangerous line of work.

Speech mentioning Royce Klingel

Wow. That is terrible.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

fatman

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
Wow. That is terrible.

It was, and is.  Logging, like commercial fishing/crabbing is extremely dangerous.  Last week a Seattle based vessel sank off the coast of Alaska.  They saved 40+ crew members, but lost 4.  Every year there's a boat that doesn't come back, and every year there's a logger that has to be carried from the woods in a bag.  My line of work (welding) is dangerous as well.  I work mostly at refineries and co-gen plants, and on pipelines.  If you don't know what you're doing safety-wise, eventually you're going to kill yourself or someone else, that's why I make the money that I do.  Loggers and fisherman are generally high paid, for the amount of hours that are put in.  Couple dangerous work with dangerous conditions, and there are always going to be accidents.

The worst though are the ones that can be avoided.