Author Topic: Charlton Heston is dead  (Read 5455 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Charlton Heston is dead
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »
Whatever one might think of the man's politics, he was an excellent actor who left a lot of good movies behind. A famous if not terribly popular western epic, Major Dundee will be shown Tuesday night on Turner Classic Movies at 10:00 p.m. ET. Tomorrow (Monday) TCM will have The Wreck of the Mary Deare (an odd courtroom drama starring Heston and Gary Cooper) on at 10:00 a.m. ET. Also tomorrow TCM will show a 1998 interview with Heston at 9:00 a.m. ET.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Charlton Heston is dead
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:36:53 AM »
I'd argue even iconic.  He'll be missed
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »
Did anybody get his guns yet?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

Actually, the NRA has been auctioning them off for the last few years at "Friends of the NRA" dinners in various parts of the country. I think he donated all of them to the group.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »

Actually, the NRA has been auctioning them off for the last few years at "Friends of the NRA" dinners in various parts of the country. I think he donated all of them to the group.

Aaaawwww, I thought he wanted us to pry them out of his cold, dead hands.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Taking quotes out of context again, I see.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
I really did not expect that anyone would pry Heston's guns out of his cold, dead hands. He does not seem to have ever actually used them for self defense.

The only context for this statement would be more one of his acting talent rather than his gun fan hobby.

But the NRA could have made a bundle more by sticking his gins in his cold, dead hands, prying them out and then auctioning off the guns with an appropriate tape or DVD of this happening.

I recall in the Reagan era agitprop flick "Red Dawn", there was a scene where the bad guys actually do pry a gun from the cold, dead hands of some militia type with the appropriate bumpersticker in the frame. One good yuck in what was a pretty silly film.

I liked Heston's acting. He was certainly better than John Wayne at playing himself, and even could play a variety of types. Wayne was very unconvincing as Genghis Khan in his title role in that film.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »

Taking quotes out of context again, I see.

He never said that?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »
He never said that?

Sure, however the stuff he said before and after that line give "context." Hence, "taking out of context."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
He never said that?

Sure, however the stuff he said before and after that line give "context." Hence, "taking out of context."

How does the context change anything?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 03:42:34 PM »
How does the context change anything?

Read up on Bill Bennett.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
I'll pass.

Fine with me; you can remain ignorant on the subject of "quoting out of context."

Cynthia

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 12:26:36 AM »
Come on gents.......the point that needs to be highlighted here, more than his stance on guns,is that this American male remained faithful and very much married to one wife for an honorable lifetime.
In the grand scheme of things, that counts for so much---- as we speak of him after death.

But, of course,  his stance on the "old rifle rule" NRA thing....counts for something, too. He was a strong and worthy human being and his dedication to a belief in the right to carry a gun, was nothing less than "worthy", as well. I think we have to honor the man for more than his acting.

I will miss that part of his "being". He was a dinosaur of sorts. Will we be better off with men who believe that others should carry a gun...NOT WE? Ahh, I say be careful there....lib or con....Guns are part of a massive revolting killer mindset in this world...and we are only a country of rights to carry protection. I am watching this issue with caution. Kids kill....yes, they do.

But so do terrorizing idiots.
Should children carry guns to school?
Some college students want to protect themselves in case of another massacre. Wouldn't you want to do the same, knowing that your peers are pissed off and crazy?

back to the man.............Charleston.
Charlton Heston was a "man's man".

He was a worthy American.

As a Christian, I say;    God bless his soul.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:34:51 AM by Cynthia »