Author Topic: LA Times gets petty  (Read 5167 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
LA Times gets petty
« on: April 23, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »
John McCain gets tax-free disability pension
The disclosure of the Navy benefit for injuries incurred as a Vietnam POW may raise fitness questions.
By Ralph Vartabedian
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

April 22, 2008

Sen. John McCain has long said he is in robust health and is strong enough to hike the Grand Canyon, but he also is receiving what his staff Monday termed a "disability pension" from the Navy.

When McCain released his tax return for 2007 on Friday, he separately disclosed that he received a pension of $58,358 that was not listed as income on his return.

On Monday, McCain's staff identified the retirement benefit as a "disability pension" and said that McCain "was retired as disabled because of his limited body movements due to injuries as a POW."

McCain campaign strategist Mark Salter said Monday night that McCain was technically disabled. "Tortured for his country -- that is how he acquired his disability," Salter said.

Certain types of military and veterans pensions are either partially or completely tax-exempt, depending on the seriousness of the disability. In McCain's case, the exemption is 100%.

If McCain had to pay taxes on the full amount of the pension, it would have increased his tax bill by about $18,000 based on the percentage of his income he paid to the federal government.

McCain spent 5 1/2 years as a prisoner of war in Hanoi. After he was released in 1973, he returned home on crutches and began a painful physical rehabilitation. He later regained flight status and commanded a Navy squadron before retiring from the service in 1981.

McCain would be the oldest man to enter the White House if he is elected president, and questions have been raised about his health.

McCain has twice developed melanoma, a potentially deadly form of skin cancer.

The fact that he is legally designated with a disability pension may raise further questions.

"It is a legitimate question to ask about the commander in chief: Is he fit to serve," said Robert Schriebman, a senior Pentagon tax advisor and tax attorney who recently retired as a judge advocate for a unit of the California National Guard.

If McCain can hike across the Grand Canyon, then why should he be getting disability payments from the government that are tax-exempt, Schriebman asked.

McCain shattered his knee and broke both arms when he was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967.

In his autobiographies, McCain said that his knee still bothered him in cold weather and that he was unable to raise his hands above his shoulders.

Elmo Baker, a retired colonel and president of a Vietnam War POW group, said many former POWs were receiving some type of military pension that was partly or fully tax-free.

Baker said he was receiving payments that were 70% tax-free, but that he "didn't have as many injuries as McCain did."

Many of the Vietnam POWs are receiving payment under a program known as "combat-related special compensation," which provides benefits and tax exemptions under a complex system, based on such factors as the type of injury and the years of service.

Paul Galanti, another former POW in the group, said that while McCain's injuries were serious enough to qualify him for disability, it would not affect his performance as president.

"I don't know of any physical requirements to be commander in chief," Galanti said. "He would have a nice car to drive around in and a nice airplane to fly in."

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-pension22apr22,1,7561167,print.story

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LA Times gets petty
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:53:32 AM »
Not that I like F.D.R. as a president, but he did serve with less physical ability than McCain shows, not that I like McCain as a candidate. So this seems like nothing much to get in a fuss over.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »
"gets"?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
If he is disabled, he deserves the pension. But do we need a disabled president?

Does anyone else smell fish? Ripe fish?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »
But do we need a disabled president?

Do we need a American's with Disabilities Act?

Perhaps he should be shunted off to some broom factory working for a meager stipend like in the old days.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »
The issue is that John McCain is classified as 100% disabled, and yet he also presumes to be 100% capable of running the country.

I am not opposed to people who are really disabled being compensated, but McCain is not disabled. He is in better health than most men his age.

I do not think anyone needs to send him to work in a broom factory, as he is not only not disabled, he is rich and capable of supporting himself, even without his rich wife's money.

I would think that a nice retirement is in order for John McCain. If you want to be bipartisan about it, he could move into Sun City next to Robert Byrd, who also could retire.

Rich

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
>>Perhaps he should be shunted off to some broom factory working for a meager stipend like in the old days.<<

Or perhaps the ovens?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »

The issue is that John McCain is classified as 100% disabled, and yet he also presumes to be 100% capable of running the country.

I have yet to figure out why this is a problem. Please, if you would, explain it to me.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »
100% Disabled should mean 100% incapable of doing anything. He needs to be fed when he is hungry, wiped when he poops, and carried about like a sack of potatoes or at least wheeled about in a wheelchair. I am thinking Christopher Reeve was maybe 100% disabled after his riding accident.

I don't think that FDR was 100% disabled, but the military was never requested to classify him.

A 100% disabled person has no business trying to run a country.

McCain is either not disabled, or he is not capable of being president.

We have 300,000,000 people in the US. Why should we choose a 100% disabled guy far past retirement age to run the country?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:22:27 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

100% Disabled should mean 100% incapable of doing anything. He needs to be fed when he is hungry, wiped when he poops, and carried about like a sack of potatoes or at least wheeled about in a wheelchair. I am thinking Christopher Reeve was maybe 100% disabled after his riding accident.

I don't recall anyone saying McCain was 100% disabled. The article just says his tax exemption for his pension is 100%. I doubt that is supposed to mean he is 100% disabled. It probably just means his disability is enough that someone decided he was to be put into the 100% tax exemption bracket for his pension.

Or he is partially disabled, but not enough to prevent him from fulfilling the duties of the office. I'm not fan of McCain, but trying to claim his disability makes him unfit for office seems ridiculous.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
100% Disabled should mean 100% incapable of doing anything.

Disabled for MILITARY service does NOT mean disabled for government service.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »

Or he is partially disabled, but not enough to prevent him from fulfilling the duties of the office. I'm not fan of McCain, but trying to claim his disability makes him unfit for office seems ridiculous.

I think you have to consider the source
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
A disabled Vet gets preference for hiring into the civil service , I have a freind who became a diabetic while in service , he is retired medically from service with a 10 point advantage for hireing and promotion in the civil service.

Another guy I work with has lots of scars on him from being shot down by AA in Vietnam , he walks funny but he does good work.

On the other hand George Bush is one of the most athletic presidents we have ever had, no wonder he is so successfull.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »

On the other hand George Bush is one of the most athletic presidents we have ever had, no wonder he is so successfull.

=============================================
You are referring to his adeptness at clearing brush on his 'ranch', of course.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
with a 10 point advantage

I know about this,since I belong in a largely postal family.
not exactly good idea.
alot of supervisors are ex-military due to this and some are known not to do well treating staff very well.
some have a mistaken idea that the military style of command can universally be applied.
note the postal service reputation of supervisors getting shot.