Author Topic: Survive peak oil  (Read 3017 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Survive peak oil
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:46:38 PM »
Convinced the planet's oil supply is dwindling and the world's economies are heading for a crash, some people around the country are moving onto homesteads, learning to live off their land, conserving fuel and, in some cases, stocking up on guns they expect to use to defend themselves and their supplies from desperate crowds of people who didn't prepare.

The exact number of people taking such steps is impossible to determine, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the movement has been gaining momentum in the last few years.

These energy survivalists are not leading some sort of green revolution meant to save the planet. Many of them believe it is too late for that, seeing signs in soaring fuel and food prices and a faltering U.S. economy, and are largely focused on saving themselves.
http://www.livescience.com/technology/080525-ap-survivalists.html

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Survive peak oil
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
interesting plane
scary
it will be interesting to see how it plays out
i would think the US would annex a place like Kuwait
before it would allow a complete collapse of our society
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »
It is slightly heartening to me to see the term 'peak oil' in mainstream media since I used to do posts about it occasionally and would receive reactions similar to those for the RBE.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:22:50 AM »
It is slightly heartening to me to see the term 'peak oil' in mainstream media since I used to do posts about it occasionally and would receive reactions similar to those for the RBE.

No "peak oil " makes sense to me.

Oil is a resorce with a limit , like most resorces.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
Most of the Earth is covered by water. There seems to be oil scattered all around the Earth. Much, probably most, of what is left is under water.

Observe how Juniorbush will not even get on TV even once and ask people to make sure their tires are inflated. I do not make any trip anywhere without seeing at least a couple of seriously underinflated tires.

Observe how Juniorbush will do NOTHING to lift the tariff on imports of ethanol from Brazil. This would make a major impact on world energy use.

While Junior is doing nothing, Olebush , Halliburton and the rest of the Big Oil oligarchy are raking it in.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:11:20 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »
Observe how Juniorbush will not even get on TV even once and ask people to make sure their tires are inflated. I do not make any trip anywhere without seeing at least a couple of seriously underinflated tires.

Can you tell me when Clinton did this?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Or any president, for that matter??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »

Can you tell me when Clinton did this?

===================================

This is a totally spurious argument.

How does this change the fact that it would cost nothing and would surely provide results?

Is it your supposition that for Juniorbush to do something positive, he should be Clinton's copycat?

Again, stress conservation, lift the tariff on Brazilian alcohol. That is the wise thing to do.

But it COULD lower gasoline prices and it COULD cut into the profits of the Juniorbush puppeteers.

That is why it won't happen.

Fighting a war on credit is ruining the dollar, and that is one of the main factors causing the price increases.

Those few who benefit from the war are, of course, making out like the bandits that they are.

========================
And again, I imagine that there is more oil under the oceans than has ever been discovered. The trick is to find ways of getting it out. Oil is not really the rotting remains of deceased reptiles.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:13:51 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »
Or any president, for that matter??

Didn't Jimmy Carter do that sort of thing?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
Do what?....ask if all our tires are properly inflated, as President?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
Didn't one of the Presidents in the 70's (Nixon, Ford, Carter?) ask people to drive the speed limit, which was lowered to 55 mph, to save gas?  I ask because I'm not sure, it was a bit before my time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
 ???

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/filmmore/ps_energy.html

This is pretty close.

"The Moral Equivelent of War"

Carter tried to set a good example , wearing a sweater inside the house etc...

But he didn't convince enough people to go along with him , was that his failing or ours?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »
"You can lead a horse to water......"

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
Is it your supposition that for Juniorbush to do something positive, he should be Clinton's copycat?

No; you make the claim that Bill was smarter than Bush.

Obviously, to be so, he must been nearly as smart as you and could have figured this out.

Did he do so?

So, we're left with the conclusion that either Bill was as dumb as George (I guess that would be your conclusion) or the other one - that's it's none of the President's business to get on the air and tell people to check the inflation of their tires. Besides, the government has already told people this little factoid. I don't want to live in a nanny state where the government is constantly looking over my shoulder - I can only assume that you apparently do.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)