Author Topic: Czech President Klaus ready to debate Gore on climate change  (Read 952 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Earthtimes.org

Czech President Klaus ready to debate Gore on climate change
Posted on : 2008-05-27 | Author : DPA
News Category : Environment    

Washington - Czech President Vaclav Klaus said Tuesday he is ready to debate Al Gore about global warming, as he presented the English version of his latest book that argues environmentalism poses a threat to basic human freedoms. "I many times tried to talk to have a public exchange of views with him, and he's not too much willing to make such a conversation," Klaus said. "So I'm ready to do it."

Klaus was speaking a the National Press Building in Washington to present his new book, Blue Planet in Green Shackles - What Is Endangered: Climate or Freedom?, before meeting with Vice President Dick Cheney Wednesday.

"My answer is it is our freedom and, I might add, and our prosperity," he said.

Gore a former US vice president who has become a leading international voice in the cause against global warming, was co-winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize. Gore's effort was highlighted by his Oscar winning documentary film An Inconvienent Truth.

Klaus, an economist, said he opposed the "climate alarmism" perpetuated by environmentalism trying to impose their ideals, comparing it to the decades of communist rule he experienced growing up in Soviet-dominated Czechoslovakia.

"Like their (communist) predecessors, they will be certain that they have the right to sacrifice man and his freedom to make their idea reality," he said.

"In the past, it was in the name of the Marxists or of the proletariat - this time, in the name of the planet," he added.

Klaus said a free market should be used to address environmental concerns and said he oppposed as unrealistic regulations or greenhouse gas capping systems designed to reduce the impact of climate change.

"It could be even true that we are now at a stage where mere facts, reason and truths are powerless in the face of the global warming propaganda," he said.

Klaus alleged that the global warming was being championed by scientists and other environmentalists whose careers and funding requires selling the public on global warming.

"It is in the hands of climatologists and other related scientists who are highly motivated to look in one direction only," Klaus said.

Print Source :
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/208338,czech-president-klaus-ready-to-debate-gore-on-climate-change.html
? 2008 earthtimes.org. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Czech President Klaus ready to debate Gore on climate change
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:10:14 AM »

Earthtimes.org

Czech President Klaus ready to debate Gore on climate change

Might as well , but we are on the verge of seeing the questions involved all become moot.

The cost of fuel will very likely rise to the point that forces us to burn less whether the Koyoto accords allow or not.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Might as well , but we are on the verge of seeing the questions involved all become moot.

The cost of fuel will very likely rise to the point that forces us to burn less whether the Kyoto accords allow or not.

=================================================================

Barely on the verge. The first signs are that dealers are finding it impossible to move Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, and other hulking behemoths off their lots.

When I drive on I-95 and other expressways, I travel at the 55 and 60- mph speed limit and still am passed by nearly everyone. Every ten minutes I see people driving on bulging radials that need at least 20 psi. I imagine that this is because people either don't care, are ignorant, or are just sheep. Probably all three.

I went with a friend to Costco the other day to fill up his Corolla, and there were pretty long lines to buy their gas at 6 cents below the average for non-members. There were n lines at other stations we passed.

Of course, buying cheaper does not lower consumption.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »

The cost of fuel will very likely rise to the point that forces us to burn less whether the Kyoto accords allow or not.

=================================================================

Barely on the verge. The first signs are that dealers are finding it impossible to move Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, and other hulking behemoths off their lots.

When I drive on I-95 and other expressways, I travel at the 55 and 60- mph speed limit and still am passed by nearly everyone. Every ten minutes I see people driving on bulging radials that need at least 20 psi. I imagine that this is because people either don't care, are ignorant, or are just sheep. Probably all three.

I went with a friend to Costco the other day to fill up his Corolla, and there were pretty long lines to buy their gas at 6 cents below the average for non-members. There were n lines at other stations we passed.

Of course, buying cheaper does not lower consumption.

The financhial punishment for these foolisnesses was untill recently quite mild , but foolishness parts a person from his money in a very dependable way.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
i doubt gore will debate
he'd rather try to sell his BS making fictional movies
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
If Gore were debateing as invited here , who would the Europeans be rooting for?