Author Topic: Racial vs Intellectual Diversity  (Read 9771 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Racial vs Intellectual Diversity
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »
Dominionism? Sounds like a Chrisitian version of the Taliban.  Just a return to traditional values is enough. I am not about to delineate each and every one...geeesh.  No need to get all wacky here.

*snicker*....you have to consider the source    ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 03:23:28 AM »

The new testament. How about the numerous anti-homeosexual referecens made by Paul?

What about them? And since we're talking about the New Testament, I'd say we might be closer now to the idea of personal responsibility and service to others rather than lording over them than we were 50 years ago. But then again, given the nature of the words and political activity of the "religious right" perhaps we are losing sight of Biblical values taught to us in the New Testament.

AS far as your last statement, earlier I indicated it was IMHO. I believe our governemnt should reflect Christian values. Obviously you disagree, and that is fine.

Whoa there, bub. I never said our government should not reflect Christian values. We were talking about American culture not government. Our culture is not a theocratic one and never has been. However important religion is or has been in our culture, we do not structure our lives around dictates from priests or pastors or holy men. They may teach us moral rules for living, but they do not rule our lives with authority. Anyway, when people start talking about comparing our culture to Biblical values or some such, I always want to ask why this is to be our standard. And almost invariably the answer involves something to do with our government and/or our laws. People wanting to "return" to some sort of Biblical standard frequently seem to mean imposing their moral preferences on other people via legislation. You did not say that, but you did turn from talking about American culture to talking about the American government. So which one are we talking about? Christianity reflected in government or in culture?

Tell you what: get together 50 reps from a wide selection of Christian denominations and be guided by that, if this compromsie will serve.

Will serve what? And why do I need 50 representatives of Christian denominations to guide me? Do you think I am incapable of a my own personal relationship with God and making up my own mind about such matters?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:31:13 AM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 01:38:35 AM »
So, whatever feels okay is okay? Nope, won't work in the long term anyway.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 01:56:14 AM »
Dominionism? Sounds like a Chrisitian version of the Taliban.

Just a return to traditional values is enough. I am not about to delineate each and every one...geeesh.

No need to get all wacky here.

Can't you just "return" to them in your private life and let other people be? This country was better off before we got lots of evangelicals and fundamentalists running around talking about "returning" to some golden time when "values" were, um, valued.  Can't you all just go live by your values and let the rest of us go to hell?    Won't it be nicer in heaven without us riffraff around, anyway?
And let me ask you....would someone who wanted to live by Christian values pass on by a man asking for food in the street? 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2006, 02:42:36 AM »
Did you ever decide what color the fundi's armbands should be?

Pick a location for the workcamps yet?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »
No armbands or camps, thank you. 

It's been done to death.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 12:27:39 PM »
It's been done to death.

Now you are catching on.

The_Professor

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »
Can't you just "return" to them in your private life and let other people be? This country was better off before we got lots of evangelicals and fundamentalists running around talking about "returning" to some golden time when "values" were, um, valued.  Can't you all just go live by your values and let the rest of us go to hell?    Won't it be nicer in heaven without us riffraff around, anyway?
And let me ask you....would someone who wanted to live by Christian values pass on by a man asking for food in the street? 

We can't. "We are called to go forth and make disciples of all men."

And, I would hope anyone, Christian or not, would help those who are needy. Also, part of our charge. "If you do not have love, then you have nothing."
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:35:16 PM by The_Professor »

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
I wonder how many blacks were murdered by whites in the 1950's. I wonder how many of those whites got away with murder because a jury of all whites found them "not guilty."

You know it happened on occasion here in the South. Oh, it had nothing to do with the evidence in the case. It was the jurors' beliefs that their society was being infringed upon by blacks and northerners who loved the blacks. Yes, the Bible-thumping, God-fearing South was a hell of a place at the time. The Klan was having a strong revival.

"Protect our way of life" was a common phrase - and you hear it today too, only now it is the Mexicans who threaten "our way of life."

Amazing how things change.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

The_Professor

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2006, 03:43:24 PM »
...heavy sigh...

So, we will continue down this NEW road of today, watering down what is right and wrong, until eventually, there will be no delineation.

IMHO, Man is inherently evil and if left to his own devices, he will sleect the scumiest road. Biblical percepts provide guidance toward a HIGHER road...

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
My point Professor is that American society was no better fifty years ago than today. Most of the people in the Klan considered themselves to be "patriots" and God-fearing Christians. Even those who did not belong to the Klan, but supported segregation staunchly most likely considered themselves to be good Christians (in fact there were ministers and preachers who were staunch segregationists).

If you believe man is inherently evil then you probably should not believe in the United States. We are at our base a Lockian system of a state contract and quite frankly it just does not function with the theory that man is inherently evil (I'm not saying I disagree). Perhaps, what we need then is a Hobbesian style of government that takes such a fact into account?

Regardless, there was no golden age of the 1950's.

And "traditional values" is crap. Many of you lament the 60's, but the 1960's had to happen because so many were being oppressed and destroyed by the "traditional values" of the 1950's. The truth is the "Greatest Generation" turned out to be horrible at running a society.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »
but it don`t have to be from the bible
what about buddhist teachings it`s just as good
even better actually since it`s abit more on the non-violence part.
you can`t go wrong with non-violence.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 10:48:15 PM »
I agree with you, Kimba. 
 I'd never renounce Christianity but I can sure incorporate some Buddhism into it.