Author Topic: straight news from the front  (Read 11532 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
straight news from the front
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

Iraqi security forces ramp up for Maysan operation

By Bill Roggio
June 17, 2008 1:55 PM

Iraqi troops replace border guards. Local police forces are raised.
Maliki gives deadline for Mahdi Army to disarm. Sadrists fear being targeted.

The Iraqi government and military continue to shape the battlefield for the confrontation with the Mahdi Army in Maysan province. Starting late last week, Iraqi security forces started the operation by sealing off the entrances and exits to the province, deploying additional forces from Baghdad and Basrah, warning the population, starting patrols in Amarah, and relieving the provincial chief of police.

Since then, Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has ordered all wanted Mahdi Army fighters to turn themselves in and ordered the militia to turn in their weapons. "Those who have heavy and medium weapons, explosives or sniper guns, must hand them over to the security forces over the next four days until June 18 in return for cash," Maliki said.

Two centers have been opened in Amarah to collect weapons, Voices of Iraq reported. "A large amount of weapons and ammunitions were handed over and a number of wanted men gave themselves up in coordination with chieftains and political officials in the province," said General Abdul Karim Khalaf, a spokesman for the Iraqi police.

Military and police officials have said the operation will begin in full force on June 19. Iraqi Armored units, likely from the 9th Iraqi Army Division, have taken up positions on the major roadways leading into Amarah.

Defense Ministry spokesman Brigadier Mohammed Al Askari said the operation will encompass all of Maysan province, and will not focus exclusively on Amarah, the provincial capital.

The Iraqi security forces have moved elements of the 11th Iraqi Army Division to the border to replace the border guards. The move places the Iraqi Army directly on the border with Iran. There is no indication if the border enforcement teams have been relieved of their posts or are undergoing retraining, much as the Iraqi National Police have throughout 2006 to 2008.

The Iraqi security forces are also raising local forces to participate in the operation. Two "regiments" of local fighters have been recruited to work with the Army and police. "Each regiment will include 750 volunteers, who should be exclusively from local residents," Colonel Mahdi Hussein told Voices of Iraq.

Sadrists fear being targeted

The Sadrist political movement, which operates the Mahdi Army, worries the operation is targeting the group exclusively. A statement from a leading spokesman highlights the setbacks the Mahdi Army experienced in Basrah. "We do not want Basrah events to be repeated in Amara," said Sheikh Salih al Obaidi, the lead spokesman for the Sadrist movement. Obaidi instead called for "dialogue."

The Sadrist movement closed down its office in central Amarah and "moved to another 'good location.'" The Sadrists were occupying a building owned by the government.

Last week, Muqtada al Sadr, the leader of the Sadrist movement and the Mahdi Army, ordered the vast majority of the Mahdi Army to disband and withdrew the Sadrist party from the upcoming provincial elections.

Amarah is a strategic hub for Iranian operations in southern Iraq

Maysan province is a strategic link for the Ramazan Corps, the Iranian military command set up by Qods Force to direct operations inside Iraq. Amarah serves as the Qods Force?Ramazan Corps forward command and control center inside Iraq as well as one of the major distribution points for weapons in southern Iraq.

The Iraqi security forces have stepped up operations against the Ramazan Corps and the Mahdi Army in the southern provinces over the past several months. Operation Knights' Assault was launched against the Mahdi Army in Basrah on March 25. After six days of heavy fighting, the Mahdi Army pushed for a cease-fire. The Iraqi security forces also dealt the Mahdi Army a heavy blow in the southern provinces of Najaf, Karbala, Qassadiyah, Maysan, and Wasit.

The Iraqi security forces and the US military also confronted the Mahdi Army in Sadr City in Baghdad. After six weeks of heavy fighting, the Mahdi Army and the Iraqi government signed a cease-fire that allowed the military to enter Sadr City uncontested.

During the month of May, the Iraqi security forces expanded operations throughout Basrah province in Az Zubayr, Al Qurnah, and Abu Al Khasib along the Iranian border. This week, an operation kicked off in Dhi Qhar province, which borders Maysan to the southeast.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2008/06/iraqi_security_force_15.php

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: straight news from the front
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:33:45 AM »
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »
I guess it's up to the Iraqis to decide for themselves if they want to be ruled by American puppets or Shi'ite extremists or Sunni extremists.  Since the Americans (some Americans anyway) seem to believe that their puppets are gaining the upper hand, it will be interesting to see when they put their money where their mouth is and start pulling out their troops.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT'LL be a cold day in hell!!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »
(some Americans anyway) seem to believe that their puppets are gaining the upper hand, it will be interesting to see when they put their money where their mouth is and start pulling out their troops. 

Is that why we will pull out?

Seems like only yesterday we were going to leave thuroughly beaten .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »
Now the big dispute is whether the US will leave bases in Iraq forever, or whether they will leave eventually.
McCain, naturally is for keeping the bases there.

The US Embassy in Baghdad is bigger than the Vatican. Wouldn't that be enough? Iraqis ruled their own nation for something like 6000 years. Why should they need the US now?

More important, why should we have to pay taxes to piss away on what is basically a Big Oil operation?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
<<Seems like only yesterday we were going to leave thuroughly beaten .>>

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:46 PM »
I guess it's up to the Iraqis to decide for themselves if they want to be ruled by American puppets or Shi'ite extremists or Sunni extremists.  Since the Americans (some Americans anyway) seem to believe that their puppets are gaining the upper hand, it will be interesting to see when they put their money where their mouth is and start pulling out their troops.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT'LL be a cold day in hell!!
<<Seems like only yesterday we were going to leave thuroughly beaten .>>

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ok ,I don't understand you at all.

I kinda expect Iraq to deal with us the way the French did , "Thank you - now scram".

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »
Just to clarify - - when I spoke of the U.S. getting out because they were winning the war, that was pure sarcasm.  They're not even close to winning, and their defeat is inevitable, IMHO.  I only hope and pray that it's as dramatic and humiliating as the end of the Vietnam War was for them, not because I've "got it in" for the U.S.A., - - a country which actually has much to admire and respect - - but because it may be a fatal blow to the party of fascism and militarism which supports and promotes such wars.

"I wouldn't have it any other way" meant just that the U.S. will learn a valuable and much-needed lesson if it gets its ass kicked in Iraq the same as it did in Viet Nam, and I would be disappointed if their ultimate departure from Iraq was for any reason other than a humiliating defeat.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:00:28 AM »
Just to clarify - - when I spoke of the U.S. getting out because they were winning the war, that was pure sarcasm.  They're not even close to winning, and their defeat is inevitable, IMHO.  I only hope and pray that it's as dramatic and humiliating as the end of the Vietnam War was for them, not because I've "got it in" for the U.S.A., - - a country which actually has much to admire and respect - - but because it may be a fatal blow to the party of fascism and militarism which supports and promotes such wars.

"I wouldn't have it any other way" meant just that the U.S. will learn a valuable and much-needed lesson if it gets its ass kicked in Iraq the same as it did in Viet Nam, and I would be disappointed if their ultimate departure from Iraq was for any reason other than a humiliating defeat.

The lesson Al Queda would learn from that victory would be what?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 12:07:03 AM »
<<The lesson Al Queda would learn from that victory would be what?>>

Stand up and fight like a man for what's rightfully yours and you will win the ultimate victory regardless of the odds against you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »
<<The lesson Al Queda would learn from that victory would be what?>>

Stand up and fight like a man for what's rightfully yours and you will win the ultimate victory regardless of the odds against you.

Their ultimate victory includes you ,no less than I ,being defeated.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 12:18:34 AM »
<<Their ultimate victory includes you ,no less than I ,being defeated.>>

I'm afraid we're on opposite sides on this one, plane.  I don't believe we have the right to impose our values by force on a sovereign state and in fact that it is criminal to attempt to do so.  I don't believe there was any just cause for starting this war and I don't believe in the bullshit excuses given for continuing it.  I think the perpetrators of the war are criminals who deserve to be hung for their crimes, so I would hardly consider it a defeat for me personally if they were defeated or even slaughtered.  That would, in fact, be the only just result.  It would be a triumph for the human race and the human spirit, and I still consider myself to be a human being first and foremost.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:27:11 AM »
<<Their ultimate victory includes you ,no less than I ,being defeated.>>

I'm afraid we're on opposite sides on this one, plane.  I don't believe we have the right to impose our values by force on a sovereign state and in fact that it is criminal to attempt to do so.  I don't believe there was any just cause for starting this war and I don't believe in the bullshit excuses given for continuing it.  I think the perpetrators of the war are criminals who deserve to be hung for their crimes, so I would hardly consider it a defeat for me personally if they were defeated or even slaughtered.  That would, in fact, be the only just result.  It would be a triumph for the human race and the human spirit, and I still consider myself to be a human being first and foremost.

None of that matters to Al Queda, their ambition includes you no less than I.
They do consider themselves as qualified to impose their values by force , and they are only shy about it when we are overhead.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 12:37:48 AM »
<<None of that matters to Al Queda, their ambition includes you no less than I.>>

Nonsense.  Their "ambition" is nothing more than self-determination, to be masters in their own house.  They did not invade us, we invaded them.  Your fantasies of their "ambition" are just thinly disguised projection.  The aggression and violence is one-sided, it flows in a steady one-way stream from Britain, the U.S.A. and their proxies, including Israel, against the Arabs and has done so since the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.

<<They do consider themselves as qualified to impose their values by force , and they are only shy about it when we are overhead.>>

It was the Western Powers that drew their "national" boundaries, created the nations they live in, installed their "royal" families to rule over them and extracted at gunpoint "concessions" which in effect have made the West the co-owners of the national resources of the people of the region.  Now you tell me who thinks themselves qualified to impose their values by force on whom?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
<<None of that matters to Al Queda, their ambition includes you no less than I.>>

Nonsense.  Their "ambition" is nothing more than self-determination, to be masters in their own house.  They did not invade us, we invaded them.  Your fantasies of their "ambition" are just thinly disguised projection.  The aggression and violence is one-sided, it flows in a steady one-way stream from Britain, the U.S.A. and their proxies, including Israel, against the Arabs and has done so since the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.

<<They do consider themselves as qualified to impose their values by force , and they are only shy about it when we are overhead.>>

It was the Western Powers that drew their "national" boundaries, created the nations they live in, installed their "royal" families to rule over them and extracted at gunpoint "concessions" which in effect have made the West the co-owners of the national resources of the people of the region.  Now you tell me who thinks themselves qualified to impose their values by force on whom?

They have invaded us.

Three attacks on US soil preceded 9-11 and I am not copunting two embassys .

You are entirely kidding yourself , they are not about "self " determination , they are about Sharia.

If they win in Iraq they are not going to retire at that point.

Their attacks on the US were disapointing to them because we did not invade Afganistan , so the attacks escalated step wise untill we did invade Afganistan , there we found arsenals piled up as though in preparation for a very long fight.

If they "win " now they will have a golden age of recruitment , worse for us than the golden age of recruitment they had during the Clinton Administration.