Author Topic: No War, No Holocaust?  (Read 17521 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No War, No Holocaust?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
Long after the former British colonies gained their independence, they voluntarily retained many of the colonial forms and structures left to them by the British, such as the judicial system, the laws, the postal service, the railroads, the Port Authorities, the various Registries, etc.  If the British didn't leave them a better world, why did they cling to these British forms when they didn't have to??

Probably for the same reason most of the Native American tribes haven't tried to go back to the way things were before the Europeans arrived - after hundreds of years of subjugation and having their culture, religion and customs taken from them and replaced by the occupying powers, it is almost impossible to return things to the way they were.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »
Yes I did.  That happened in one area of New England and was the work of the colonists, not the English governors.

Actually, that's the only one we have documentation for. And it was done by order of Lord Jeffrey Amherst, commander of British forces in North America. He was foolish enough to put his order down in writing - "You will Do well to try to Innoculate the Indians by means of Blanketts, as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race. I should be very glad your Scheme for Hunting them Down by Dogs could take Effect, but England is at too great a Distance to think of that at present." The response from the subordinate on scene (Colonel Henry Bouquet) was a terse "I received yesterday your Excellency's letters of 16th with their Inclosures. The signal for Indian Messengers, and all your directions will be observed."

If the military was cocky enough to put these orders in writing, how many more orders such as these were not put in writing but only implemented on a verbal basis?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
<< . . . as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race. >>

Wow.  I'm really shocked.  Never saw that before.  Certainly doesn't seem very British to me.  I can't imagine any English man or woman who wouldn't be horrified.  But that was back in the 18th Century.  Hanging, drawing and quartering was the penalty for treason then.  Savage times.  If that's where the English were at, I'd hate to have to think of where the Germans were at.  Nietzsche once drew up a list  of mediaeval German punishments, and they were even more horrific than hanging drawing and quartering.

I still like to make comparisons of apples to apples, oranges to oranges.  Seems like you're kind of stacking the deck when you compare British practices of colonial times with the practices of Germany and its people during my own lifetime.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »
<< . . . as well as to try Every other method that can serve to Extirpate this Execrable Race. >>

Wow.  I'm really shocked.  Never saw that before.  Certainly doesn't seem very British to me.  I can't imagine any English man or woman who wouldn't be horrified.  But that was back in the 18th Century.  Hanging, drawing and quartering was the penalty for treason then.  Savage times.  If that's where the English were at, I'd hate to have to think of where the Germans were at.  Nietzsche once drew up a list  of mediaeval German punishments, and they were even more horrific than hanging drawing and quartering.

I still like to make comparisons of apples to apples, oranges to oranges.  Seems like you're kind of stacking the deck when you compare British practices of colonial times with the practices of Germany and its people during my own lifetime.

Is the time the diffrence?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
<<Is the time the diffrence?>>

Probably. When was the last time you saw anyone hanged, drawn and quartered for treason in England?  There IS such a thing as the slow march towards civilization, plane, although it's a lot slower than we like to think.  And sometimes a wretched pathetic excuse for a human being like your current "President" can set the clock back a hundred years in that process, but still and all, over the centuries, the human race does progress to an increasingly more humane and less savage state.  Seen anyone fed to the lions for public amusement lately?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
And sometimes a wretched pathetic excuse for a human being like your current "President" can set the clock back a hundred years in that process, but still and all, over the centuries, the human race does progress to an increasingly more humane and less savage state.  Seen anyone fed to the lions for public amusement lately?

After 9-11, all you had to do was turn on any radio talkshow to hear all the grotesque things people wanted to do to punish any Ay-rabs, camel jockeys  or towel heads they might run across. There are always a few people who can rise to ghastly barbarism in a crisis, and every once in a while, as in Bosnia, they do.
]
Marine basic training still repeats a routine where the entire company shouts Kill!! Kill! kill! rather a large number of times.

So some are born barbarous, others become barbarous, and yet others must have it thrust upon them.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
After 9-11, all you had to do was turn on any radio talkshow to hear all the grotesque things people wanted to do to punish any Ay-rabs, camel jockeys  or towel heads they might run across.

I didn't even have to do that, I heard it at work. And since I had travelled pretty extensively in the Middle East and had (and still have) some very good friends there, I complained about it, first to my manager, who did nothing, then to HR. HR issued a memo to put a stop to it, and the company owner brought it up at a company meeting shortly after 9-11 and announced it would be treated like any other type of discrimination or racism. The comments stopped - at least, I never heard any more of them - but my relations with some of my coworkers suffered. In April '02, the owner sold the company, and a few months after that I left and started driving a truck. I was fed up with working in electronics, sure, but I was also tired of having to watch my back. Driving a truck, I was on my own, and the company I drove for cared only that I got my loads in on time and put in more miles than average.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 03:29:21 PM »
Sure wish someone would reference those particular radio shows, so I can avoid them.  I listen to a fair amout of talk radio to and from work, and didn't get any whiff of such irrational broadbrushing outrage, from any of the hosts.  Some of the callers were bigoted idiots
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 10:59:59 PM »
Sure wish someone would reference those particular radio shows, so I can avoid them.  I listen to a fair amout of talk radio to and from work, and didn't get any whiff of such irrational broadbrushing outrage, from any of the hosts.  Some of the callers were bigoted idiots

I did not say the hosts of talk radio shows wanted to murder Ay-rabs, camel jockeys and towelheads. I said that these things were said in profusion on talk radio. The ones I heard were the callers, many of whom, as you say, were and no doubts still are, bigoted idiots.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."