Author Topic: Rubber Ducky, you're the one  (Read 2460 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rubber Ducky, you're the one
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »
[...no Rubber Ducky? How come?]
 February 19, 2008,  5:55 pm
Will Rubber Ducky Ever Be Enshrined?

By Jennifer 8. Lee
Toy fair Tim George, right, a k a Mr. Etch A Sketch, at the Javits Center. Mr. George, 57, is an Etch A Sketch artist from Columbus, Ohio. Toy Fair runs all week. (Photo: Ruby Washington/The New York Times)

Tucked down Aisle 900 of Toy Fair (just Toy Fair, mind you, not ?the Toy Fair?) at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center ? amid the newest whirring, glowing, hovering, shrinking playthings clamoring to be the hit product this year ? is a space reserved for the elite of the elite, the toys that don?t have to prove themselves anymore to anybody. They are the inductees to the National Toy Hall of Fame.

The honored toys include the sophisticated but obsolete (Atari 2600, inducted in 2007) and the humble (cardboard box, 2005), the trademarked (Scrabble, 2004) and the generic (kite, 2007), the domestic (Easy Bake Oven, 2006) and the militaristic (G. I. Joe, 2004).

The gatekeeper for the exalted status is the Strong National Museum of Play, in Rochester, which acquired the rights to the Toy Hall of Fame from A. C. Gilbert?s Discovery Village, in Salem, Ore., which started the hall in 1998. Who knew that the rights of the halls of fame could be bought and sold? (Mr. Gilbert, by the way, is best known as the inventor of the erector set.)

To be considered for the hall, toys must have promoted learning, creativity and discovery; be innovative; and proved their longevity (for at least 20 years).

To highlight their favorites, the museum had brought Tim George, an Etch A Sketch artist from Columbus, Ohio, to show off his skills. Mr. George, who sketches elaborate images of animals and scenes with the mere twisting of his wrists, has been playing with the Etch A Sketch since around 1960. At Toy Fair, he even had one of his original Etch A Sketches from his childhood (the only main difference from today?s model is that the white knobs were smaller then).

In the age of Nintendo Wiis and Webkinz, do children still play with Etch A Sketch? Oh yes, he said, when he goes into schools to show off his sketching, he always asks the students if they have ever played with an Etch A Sketch. ?Even today, everyone raises their hands ? every one of them,? he said. He gets a similar enthusiastic response in retirement homes, he said, adding, ?It?s cross-generational.?

Since it took over the hall, the National Museum of Play has been much more selective in its induction process, adding only two or three toys a year. The opening class of inductees in 1998-99 was a long list of 18 toys. ?They did whatever they wanted back then,? said Susan Trien, the spokeswoman for the museum.

Now, the nominations are narrowed down to finalists, which are then ranked by a panel of judges to come up with the final inductees. Of course, the museum is hardly above the influence of lobbying, especially by well-organized groups. The Raggedy Ann Museum had a multiyear campaign to get Raggedy Andy into the hall to rejoin his sister, who had been inducted five years earlier. (Will Ken, likewise, join Barbie? Students at Williamette University have protested his omission.)

And G. I. Joe received 1,200 nominations from fans before he was inducted, overwhelming the poll by Playthings magazine. Of course, not everyone has such clear constituencies (the cardboard box was really considered an underdog.)

Among the glass display cases in the exhibit were several familiar yellow figurines on display: rubber duckies.

Is Rubber Ducky in the hall? City Room inquired.

?No, it?s not,? Ms. Trien said.

Your City Room reporter was stunned for a second. After all, how many other toys have a song devoted to them, much less a memorable serenade from th ?Sesame Street? show? After gathering her composure, she pressed. ?Could Rubber Ducky make it??

Ms. Trien hesitated, then added: ?It?s possible. It was nominated. I can?t rule it out.?

Aside from Rubber Ducky, other omissions are notable: Rubik?s Cube, skateboard, pogo stick.

Here are the current 39 (or 38, if you count Raggedy Anne and Andy as one unit) inductees into the National Hall Toy of Fame.

Original 1998-99 inductees:

* Barbie
    * Crayola Crayon
    * Erector Set
    * Etch A Sketch
    * Frisbee
    * Hula Hoop
    * Lego
    * Lincoln Logs
    * Marbles
    * Monopoly
    * Play-Doh
    * Radio Flyer wagon
    * Rocking Horse
    * Roller Skates
    * Teddy Bear
    * Tinkertoy
    * View-Master
    * Duncan Yo-Yo

* Bicycle
    * Jacks
    * Jump Rope
    * Mr. Potato Head
    * Slinky

2001 (when it switched over to the National Museum of Play)

* Silly Putty
    * Tonka Trucks

* Jigsaw puzzle
    * Raggedy Ann

* Alphabet Blocks
    * Checkers

* G. I. Joe
    * Scrabble

* Candy Land
    * Cardboard box
    * Jack-in-the-Box

* Easy Bake Oven
    * Lionel Trains

* Atari 2600
    * Kite
    * Raggedy Andy

Anything missing?

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/will-rubber-ducky-ever-be-enshrined/
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Rubber Ducky, you're the one
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »
I would include the yo-yo.

True, it was invented as a weapon, but attained success as a toy.

I would like to see a duel with yo-yo's someday.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »
I saw only the 7-11 yo-yo stickup.

The rest of this clip is priceless.

I am not certain that it made me want to drink any Dew.

When I was a kid, Mountain Dew was a very popular song we sang in the Boy Scouts about making moonshine, with hundreds of verses.

Then they stole the name for a soft drink.

My uncle Bill's got a still on the hill,
Where he turns out a gallon a day.
The buzzards in the sky,
Get so drunk they cannot fly,
Just from smellin' the fumes of that Dew.

<<chorus>
Oh, they call hit that good old Mountain Dew,
Them that survive hit are few.
I'll shut up my mug,
If your fill up my jug,
With that good ol' Mountain Dew
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:58:03 AM »
When I was a kid, Mountain Dew was a very popular song we sang in the Boy Scouts about making moonshine, with hundreds of verses.

Mountain Dew?s name is a previously-existing euphemism for moonshine, which likely traces back to Ireland (see the Irish folk song "The Rare Auld Mountain Dew"), and has generally been marketed to highlight its potency. It was originally marketed as "zero proof moonshine" and had pictures of hillbillies on the bottle until 1973.

Bascom Lamar Lunsford?s original recording of "Old Mountain Dew", an Appalachian old-time song, was used as the first advertising theme for the newly created Mountain Dew soda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Dew
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)