Author Topic: Saddam is sentanced  (Read 4060 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saddam is sentanced
« on: November 05, 2006, 05:19:02 AM »
Whew.

I was worried that he might beat the rap .

Imagine the riots resulting from Saddams aquittal?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Saddam is sentanced
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 11:55:54 AM »
Gee, what a surprise.  And coming right after the "government of Iraq" yanked the first judge off the case in the middle of the trial for showing too much respect to the defendant.  Who woulda thunk, eh?  What a cliff-hanger!!!

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »
More surprises, huh?  The hand-picked Shi'ite judge sentences Saddam to death and the Shi'ite mobs go nuts.  Who'd figure?

domer

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »
Saddam's death sentence presents a political problem, not a moral or legal one.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »
<<Saddam's death sentence presents a political problem, not a moral or legal one.>>

THAT'S for God-damn sure.

larry

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »
<<Saddam's death sentence presents a political problem, not a moral or legal one.>>

If Americans are smart, this political ploy will backfire on election day. This was clearly staged to benefit the president and the republican controlled congress. This is what fascist propaganda looks like. How anyone could vote for republicans after this is beyond understanding. Bush would have done well i9f he had ask for the verdict to be withheld until after the election. Maybe people would have respect for the kind of leadership. This is just another special ops prepared news story.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »

If Americans are smart, this political ploy will backfire on election day. This was clearly staged to benefit the president and the republican controlled congress. This is what fascist propaganda looks like. How anyone could vote for republicans after this is beyond understanding. Bush would have done well i9f he had ask for the verdict to be withheld until after the election. Maybe people would have respect for the kind of leadership. This is just another special ops prepared news story.

I don't beleive this , mostly because it is not going to be like that.

The recent orgy of bloodletting that October brought to Iraq was the Al Queda method of telling us that they prefer Democrats.

The riots that Saddams sentanceing are likely to engender are just more of the same.

Any of us who care about Saddams fate are mostly already decided .

Now if they actually capture Osama Bin Laden tomorrow , that would be suspicious.

We had best tell the search partys to take the day off.

larry

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:13:10 PM »
;) its just a coincident

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 09:17:34 PM »
<<If Americans are smart, this political ploy will backfire on election day. >>

I don't think it's that big a deal to Americans.  The thing that really gives away the kangaroo-court nature of the proceedings was that the "Iraqi government" [LOL] replaced the judge in the middle of the trial for being too pro-defence. THAT'S blatant.  If it happened in the midst of an American or Canadian criminal trial, there'd be all hell to pay.  But it passed without a ripple through the U.S. MSM, probably because everybody realizes that Saddam really is a murderer and a torturer and so nobody really gives a shit anyway.

I don't think the U.S. had to have a hand in that necessarily.  The puppets have their own little blood feuds to avenge and there was surely enough motivation to ensure a prosecutor's victory that the U.S. didn't need to intervene.

The U.S. intervention was clearly in the timing of the verdict.  There wasn't even enough time to prepare detailed reasons, so the verdict was rushed through in summary form , with reasons to come later, obviously to beat the deadline of the U.S. elections.  But since the fixed nature of the trial had already been clearly demonstrated by the replacement of trial judge, the timing of the release of the verdict was a matter of relatively minor importance and not likely to excite much comment.

larry

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »
I agree, I don't think it will have much of an effect, but it just looks like a typical Bush team strategy. The timing is just too opportune. I really hope the Dems take both houses, because they can no longer hide behind the republican majority defense. I want to see where they really stand on foreign policy, the military commission act of 2006, the patriots acts. they say they will change course, lets see if they do, and if they don't who do Americans vote for next election?

Mucho

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 01:41:50 AM »
The rest of the world is not as stupid as US. They know Saddam will probly die of old age.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/print?id=2630520

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »
The rest of the world is not as stupid as US. They know Saddam will probly die of old age.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/print?id=2630520

If he is to have a trial for each of the crimes he could be accused of , he can't live long enough.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
Saddam's death sentence presents a political problem, not a moral or legal one.

If you are against capital punishment then it also presents a moral problem.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

The_Professor

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »
"If you are against capital punishment then it also presents a moral problem.""

Which is what the EU just said:

"BRUSSELS, Nov 5 (Reuters) - The European Union urged Iraq on Sunday not to carry out the death sentence passed on Iraq's former leader Saddam Hussein after his conviction for crimes against humanity."

see http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L05213396.htm.