Author Topic: About 35 years overdue - my first rock concert.  (Read 4468 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
About 35 years overdue - my first rock concert.
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »
Guess Who I saw last night doing a concert at Busch Gardens Europe (that's in Virginia, folks).

Yeah, you guessed it.  (and if you didn't, you need not wonder why there's no time left for you!)

We have Virginia resident fun passes to Busch Gardens which gives you the whole summer for one admission.  We got really good use out of those this year, having gone four or five times each.  (Some of the kids go with their friends.)  We decided to do BGE for one last time this summer in case it changes drastically with the new ownership.   It is our favorite park (in my case, that includes the Disney's)  because, aside from being accessible and affordable, it is absolutely beautiful.  It proudly boasts of having been voted most beautiful theme park in the US for eighteen straight years. 

Anyway, on our way down our youngest son, Micah, who is doing a separate Virginia Beach/Busch Gardens week vacation with his own budding rock band, (confidentially, they are terrible, and proud of it) calls to tell us that Guess Who is doing a concert there on Saturday.   How cool is that?  I mean, granted, there are only two original band members left in the group (Drummer Garry Peterson and Bassist Jim Kale) but come on it's freakin' Guess Who!  So after a surprisingly sedate day at the park (we did all the coasters but the crowds were so bad we opted to see some shows instead of wait in line for lesser rides) we wandered over a few minutes late to the field to see the show.

Strangely enough, having grown up po' I never had the opportunity (OK, the money) to see a rock concert as a kid.   So last night's concert was an aging rocker's first rock concert.  As we neared the entrance to the field, we could hear the show starting.  Their first number was "Star Baby," one of their later hits.  There was a pretty good turn out, so we were quite a ways back from the stage, but we could still see them up there and the amps were quite enough so that sound wasn't as issue.  No ear-ringing at our distance but my hearing is bad enough already, so I can live without it!  The set was an hour long, and it really was a time warp.  The instrumentation was, of course, dead on, and even the vocals were pretty darn close to the Guess Who I remember.  Their second piece was "Clap for the Wolfman." There were a few of us who recognized the vital importance of clapping during the song, but it just wasn't the same without, well, ya know, the Wolfman.  But it started to heat up on their next song, "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature."  After that they played such hits as "She's Come Undone," "Share the Land," "Hand Me Down World" and others (though I was slightly disappointed that they didn't do "No Time" or "Raindance").   It was a great show, and I think I lost ten pounds moving to the music.  (I know I lost my voice singing along and cheering between songs.)  They finished up with a huge buildup into "American Woman."   It was incredible.  What a blast! 

Incidentally, one of the two original members left, I believe it was Garry Peterson, just became a US citizen on Feb 22 of this year.  How 'bout that?  I understand as part of his naturalization requirements, he had to swear to give up the use of the word "eh." :D

It was a little disconcerting (there's a bad pun hidden in there somewhere but let's not look for it, 'kay?) to find that my middle son, Robert the only offspringness to accompany us last night, had no idea who Guess Who was.  He is usually very well versed in music from several eras because of his performing career (he's the one that was in Japan for Disney). The only song he even knew that they did was their finale (American Woman, of course).  He knew it because Lenny Kravitz did a remake in this era.  Sheesh. Since he wanted to see "Kinetix," a show more along the lines of what he does, we left before the (first?) encore.  As we walked away, we heard them come back onto the stage to perform "These Eyes."  Several of us older folks, wandering away on similar errands or trying to beat the park-closing traffic, were singing along as the sound blended into the noise of the younger park patrons rushing from ride-to-ride, slightly amused at the fogies singing the pretty little song.  I used up a lot of energy at the concert, and I couldn't hack the drive home.  I had to let the son do the second half.  We stopped at his place and I slept for hours.  I even missed church today.  Aging rocker is right. It kind made me reflect that these eyes have seen a lot of love, and that though there may not be No Time left, seasons do change and so did I.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: About 35 years overdue - my first rock concert.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:39:34 PM »
Good job on surviving the concert and telling about it so well.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Really ,charming writeing.

You made me feel nostalgic , and I have never even been to one of these things.

When I was a kid there was a concert six miles from my house , starring the Who.

The woods were full of Hippie camps , Police arrested naked hippies swimming in Echeconie creek untill they were overwhelmed by the number and gave up. For months I kept finding strange and disgusting shelters in odd places even miles from the site.

I got the feeling that being high made the squallor tolerable.

And even six miles from there I could hear the drums.

With the negative impression I started with I still could feel the good time you had , you have a serious talent .

fatman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
That's awesome Pooch.  Last month I saw Judas Priest and Dolly Parton, two weeks apart.

Yeah, I know my music taste is terrible.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:24:36 AM »
When I was a kid there was a concert six miles from my house , starring the Who.

I was there. Hendrix did the star spangled banner there. Oh yeah and i had a headache for a week.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
Strangely enough, having grown up po' I never had the opportunity (OK, the money)
to see a rock concert as a kid.

::)

Glad you enjoyed the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJbFVJvRqOQ

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

ZoSo

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
I mean, granted, there are only two original band members left in the group (Drummer Garry Peterson and Bassist Jim Kale) but come on it's freakin' Guess Who!

I wonder how they can call themselves  the Guess Who without Randy Bachman & Burton Cummings? I may I still have their Greatest hits album on an old reel to reel tape I bought at the BX in Vietnam sometime ago.

My first concert was the Beach Boys  at the Hollywood Bowl in '67. I almost saw the Beatles there (sitting on a hill watching with binoculars) in '65 but the LAPD spotted us ran us off.

The last show I went to saw Journey, Heart & Cheap Trick last week in Tampa..... it was a great show...of 80's geezer rock!

So far this year we've also seen The Eagles, Springsteen, Clapton, Roger Waters,  Tom Petty & Dream Theater....Next week we're going to see the  Boston Pops orchestra in Tanglewood.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »

I was there. Hendrix did the star spangled banner there. Oh yeah and i had a headache for a week.

Where did you stay?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »
My first concert was The Who's "Final Concert" in Toronto in 82(?). And I saw them again in the 90s. I have been to several Rush concerts as well, and a bunch of Jimmy Buffett - his are always a party. Oh yeah, Fleetwood Mac twice. A few others .38 Special, Christopher Cross, Evanescence, Seether, etc.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:46:17 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
Good job on surviving the concert and telling about it so well.

Thanks, BT.  At my age, surviving breakfast is a feat!
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
Really ,charming writeing.

You made me feel nostalgic , and I have never even been to one of these things.

OK, I give up.  Who?  :D

The woods were full of Hippie camps , Police arrested naked hippies swimming in Echeconie creek untill they were overwhelmed by the number and gave up. For months I kept finding strange and disgusting shelters in odd places even miles from the site.

I got the feeling that being high made the squallor tolerable.

And even six miles from there I could hear the drums.

Awwww, dat is byootiful, man!

With the negative impression I started with I still could feel the good time you had , you have a serious talent .

Thanks.  I have to do something with my free time. :D

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
That's awesome Pooch.  Last month I saw Judas Priest and Dolly Parton, two weeks apart.

Yeah, I know my music taste is terrible.

Not hardly.  Eclectic, maybe.  I'm not real familiar with JP, but Dolly Parton is one of the best damned singers in the business.  There's so much talent in that little gal that it keeps trying to pop out of her chest.  I like that in a woman . . . :D   Seriously, I know it's been said before but Whitney Houston's version of "I will always love you" will never even be in the same league with Dolly's.  She can do more than sing or even perform a song.  She communicates it.  No bad taste there at all, fatman.

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the vid, CU4!

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:50:53 PM »
I wonder how they can call themselves  the Guess Who without Randy Bachman & Burton Cummings? I may I still have their Greatest hits album on an old reel to reel tape I bought at the BX in Vietnam sometime ago.

Actually, since you asked, Kale found out that the name had never been registered and snagged it.  I think Burton is in R&R heaven at this point, but I could be wrong.

My first concert was the Beach Boys  at the Hollywood Bowl in '67. I almost saw the Beatles there (sitting on a hill watching with binoculars) in '65 but the LAPD spotted us ran us off.

From our Department of Synchronicity, the Beach Boys are playing at the Rockingham County Fair (in my neighborhood) tomorrow night.  Needless to say the tickets for that puppy sold out long ago. 

The last show I went to saw Journey, Heart & Cheap Trick last week in Tampa..... it was a great show...of 80's geezer rock!

So far this year we've also seen The Eagles, Springsteen, Clapton, Roger Waters,  Tom Petty & Dream Theater....Next week we're going to see the  Boston Pops orchestra in Tanglewood.

Damn.  Well, you come by your screen name honestly, I see.  The Boston Pops seems a bit incongruous given that mix, but I wouldn't mind seeing them either.  I'm old enough to remember the Arthur Fiedler days.  (My M-I-L had an album called "Fiedler on the Roof.")  Of course after him came Mr. Williams himself.  My son still lives up there in Massachusetts but I only pop up there once a year or so.  I'll be in that neck of the woods New Years Eve to watch my son get married.  The Pops, as it turns out, will not be playing, unless my son says "Hey Pops, play a little guitar for us wouldja?"  :D

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
My first concert was The Who's "Final Concert" in Toronto in 82(?). And I saw them again in the 90s. I have been to several Rush concerts as well, and a bunch of Jimmy Buffett - his are always a party. Oh yeah, Fleetwood Mac twice. A few others .38 Special, Christopher Cross, Evanescence, Seether, etc.

Sounds like a good bunch of concerts.  Have you ever read any of Jimmy Buffet's novels?  They are a blast.  He writes like he sings and the novels are kind of silly in terms of outlandish plot, but a real fun escape.  The last one I read was "A Salty Piece of Land."  There were a couple others, but the titles slip my aging mind just now.  Give 'em a try if you need a cheap change of latitude/attitude.