Author Topic: McCain's Secret Weapon - He Cheated!  (Read 3725 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: McCain's Secret Weapon - He Cheated!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 01:14:34 AM »
<<McCain has that nasty process behind him , Obama is about to start his.>>

That's great because at this point there are just unproven accusations floating around Obama, but with McCain we know EXACTLY what he did, we can put it to the voters directly, and we can ask them, if, like the Senate "Ethics" Committee, they too think McCain did nothing wrong.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
<<McCain has that nasty process behind him , Obama is about to start his.>>

That's great because at this point there are just unproven accusations floating around Obama, but with McCain we know EXACTLY what he did, we can put it to the voters directly, and we can ask them, if, like the Senate "Ethics" Committee, they too think McCain did nothing wrong.

Right , McCain Aquitted  , Obama still to be investigated , timeing ,..... unfortunate.

We do know exactly what McCain did , and it isn't much of a problem  , perhaps when all of the facts are in we can know Obama has been also proven innocent.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 01:28:49 AM »
<<Right , McCain Aquitted  , Obama still to be investigated , timeing ,..... unfortunate.>>

Nope, McCain not acquitted, in fact never even charged; just given a slap on the wrist by the Senate "Ethics" Committee.  But we DO know everything McCain did to merit the slap, and we can show it to the public and ask them if a slap was enough.

Obama, nobody knows what he did and no one will know until much later.  Personally if all I know about one guy is that he's facing a shitload of politically motivated accusations, if I know what the other guy did and know that I'd give him a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist, then I'd vote for the guy who might or might not be guilty of anything rather than the guy who I think did wrong and got off too lightly.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 01:41:25 AM »
You ever notice that Obama and Rezko have the same number of letters in their name.

Say wasn't there someone honored by Obama's church that was big into numerology?

Mikey says innuendo doesn't have to be true, it just has to be on the radar at the right time.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
<<Mikey says innuendo doesn't have to be true, it just has to be on the radar at the right time. >>

That's true - - look at the classic example, the Swiftboat "Veterans."

But I never suggested to run a campaign of falsehoods against McCain - - the truth on him is deadly enough.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 01:54:47 AM »
<<Right , McCain Aquitted  , Obama still to be investigated , timeing ,..... unfortunate.>>

Nope, McCain not acquitted, in fact never even charged; just given a slap on the wrist by the Senate "Ethics" Committee.  But we DO know everything McCain did to merit the slap, and we can show it to the public and ask them if a slap was enough.

No Mccain is aquitted and some of  his brother congressmen accused in the same incident were not , more evidence of actual wrongdoing on them.

Personally if all I know about one guy is that he's facing a shitload of politically motivated accusations,...

Isn't that about all you know about either of them?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »
But I never suggested to run a campaign of falsehoods against McCain - - the truth on him is deadly enough.

Sure you did. If not by direct statement, then by omission of pertinent facts.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 02:04:11 AM »
<<No Mccain is aquitted and some of  his brother congressmen accused in the same incident were not , more evidence of actual wrongdoing on them.>>

Nobody was acquitted because there was no criminal trial.  McCain did not escape criticism from the "Ethics" Committee, he got a slap on the wrist from them.  The issue I'd like to put before the American people is the exact conduct of McCain, the slap on the wrist that he got for it, and the question:  "What do YOU think?  Was a slap on the wrist enough?"
===============================================
<<Quote
<<Personally if all I know about one guy is that he's facing a shitload of politically motivated accusations,...

<<Isn't that about all you know about either of them?>>

No, about McCain, I know a lot - - he's an elitist, he lied and cheated on the wife who waited for him while he was in jail, ditched her and married an heiress; he dropped napalm on women and children; he made propaganda broadcasts for the Vietnamese; he cheated on the Saddleback debate; his wife owns eight homes, he personally pays over a quarter-million a year for domestic help in those homes, he did favours for a convicted criminal who bilked thousands of hard-working Americans of their life savings, he did this while a sitting Senator, he helped Charles Keating steal hundreds of millions by helping to stall off Federal Gov't regulators, he called his second wife a "cunt" and a "trollop" in public, he graduated from a bush-league college and fifth from the bottom of a military academy.

About Obama, not so much, almost all of it good.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 02:06:01 AM »
<<If not by direct statement, then by omission of pertinent facts. >>

And just where did I do that?  I have absolutely no recollection of doing so.  As I've said several times, the truth itself is deadly enough to sink McCain without lies or embellishment of any kind whatsoever.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:01:45 AM by Michael Tee »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2008, 02:10:37 AM »
<<No Mccain is aquitted and some of  his brother congressmen accused in the same incident were not , more evidence of actual wrongdoing on them.>>

Nobody was acquitted because there was no criminal trial.  McCain did not escape criticism from the "Ethics" Committee, he got a slap on the wrist from them.  The issue I'd like to put before the American people is the exact conduct of McCain, the slap on the wrist that he got for it, and the question:  "What do YOU think?  Was a slap on the wrist enough?"
===============================================
<<Quote
<<Personally if all I know about one guy is that he's facing a shitload of politically motivated accusations,...

<<Isn't that about all you know about either of them?>>

No, about McCain, I know a lot - - he's an elitist, he lied and cheated on the wife who waited for him while he was in jail, ditched her and married an heiress; he dropped napalm on women and children; he made propaganda broadcasts for the Vietnamese; he cheated on the Saddleback debate; his wife owns eight homes, he personally pays over a quarter-million a year for domestic help in those homes, he did favours for a convicted criminal who bilked thousands of hard-working Americans of their life savings, he did this while a sitting Senator, he helped Charles Keating steal hundreds of millions by helping to stall off Federal Gov't regulators, he called his second wife a "cunt" and a "trollop" in public, he graduated from a bush-league college and fifth from the bottom of a military academy.

About Obama, not so much, almost all of it good.

I kinda like Obama's "clean" campainings , look how educational they have been.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »

STILL WAITING PATIENTLY FOR AN ANSWER FROM BT

« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:06:01 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
<<If not by direct statement, then by omission of pertinent facts. >>

And just where did I do that? I have absolutely no recollection of doing so.  As I've said several times, the truth itself is deadly enough to sink McCain without lies or embellishment of any kind whatsoever.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
Wait no more:

In this thread you say:
The ad campaign that I suggested was a purely factual recitation of McCain's doings as one of the Keating Five, including the fact that the Senate Ethics Committee gave him a pass - - and just ask the viewers, "The Senate Ethics Committee gave him a pass.  Would YOU give him a pass?"  Simple question, simple answer.  I'd LOVE to see that commercial run.

The truth without omisssion would:

List the Keating 5
Tell what laws or ethical considerations at the time they violated
What happened to each of them
Who chaired the committee
and what reforms came from the investigation and who introduced them.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »
For consumer edification Bt, can you provide some snippets to these pertinent ommisions, including party affiliations, who was the majority party at the time, & leading said investiation(s).  Thanks
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
The Senate Ethics Committee's report regarding the Keating matter came out in August 1991, and addressed each of the five senators.[16]

[edit] Cranston: severely reprimanded

The Senate Ethics Committee ruled that Cranston had acted improperly by interfering with the investigation by the FHLBB.[16] He had received more than a million dollars from Keating, had done more arm-twisting than the other Senators on Keating's behalf, and was the only Senator officially rebuked by the Senate in this matter.[17]

Cranston was given the harshest penalty of all five Senators. In November of 1991, the Senate Ethics Committee voted unanimously to reprimand Cranston, instead of the more severe measure that was under consideration: censure by the full Senate. Extenuating circumstances that helped to save Cranston from censure were the fact that he was suffering from cancer, and that he had decided to not seek reelection, according to the Chairman of the Ethics Committee, Democratic Senator Howell Heflin of Alabama. The Ethics Committee took the unusual step of delivering its reprimand to Cranston during a formal session of the full Senate, with almost all 100 Senators present.[13]

Cranston was not accused of breaking any specific laws or rules, but of violating standards that Heflin said ?do not permit official actions to be linked with fund-raising.? The Ethics Committee officially found that Cranston?s conduct had been ?improper and repugnant?, deserving of "the fullest, strongest and most severe sanction which the committee has the authority to impose." The sanction was in these words: "the Senate Select Committee on Ethics, on behalf of and in the name of the United States Senate, does hereby strongly and severely reprimand Sen. Alan Cranston.?[13]

After the Senate reprimanded Cranston for repugnant conduct, Cranston took to the Senate floor to deny key charges against him. In response, Senator Warren Rudman of New Hampshire, the Republican Vice-Chairman of the Ethics Committee, charged that Cranston?s response to the reprimand was ?arrogant, unrepentant and a smear on this institution," and that Cranston was wrong to imply that everyone does what Cranston had done. Alan Dershowitz, serving as Senator Cranston's attorney, alleged that other Senators had merely been better at ?covering their tracks.?[13] Likewise, political historian Lewis Gould has written that, ?the real problem for the 'Keating Three' who were most involved was that they had been caught.?[18]

[edit] Riegle and DeConcini: criticized for acting improperly

The Senate Ethics Committee ruled that Riegle and DeConcini had acted improperly by interfering with the investigation by the FHLBB.[16]

DeConcini later charged that McCain had leaked to the press sensitive information about the investigation that came from some of the closed proceedings of the Ethics Committee.[6] McCain denied doing so, although one congressional investigator concluded that McCain had been one of the main leakers during that time.[6]

[edit] Glenn and McCain: cleared of impropriety but criticized for poor judgment

The Senate Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of Glenn in the scheme was minimal, and the charges against him were dropped.[16] He was only criticized by the Committee for "poor judgment."[19]

The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him.[17][16] McCain was criticized by the Committee for exercising "poor judgment" when he met with the federal regulators on Keating's behalf.[6] The report also said that McCain's "actions were not improper nor attended with gross negligence and did not reach the level of requiring institutional action against him....Senator McCain has violated no law of the United States or specific Rule of the United States Senate."[20] On his Keating Five experience, McCain has said: "The appearance of it was wrong. It's a wrong appearance when a group of senators appear in a meeting with a group of regulators, because it conveys the impression of undue and improper influence. And it was the wrong thing to do."[6]

Several accounts of the controversy contend that McCain was included in the investigation primarily so that there would be at least one Republican target.[21][22][23][9] Glenn's inclusion in the investigation has been attributed to Republicans who were angered by the inclusion of McCain, as well as committee members who thought that dropping Glenn (and McCain) would make it look bad for the remaining three Democratic Senators.[21][23] Democrat Robert S. Bennett, who was the special investigator during the scandal, suggested to the Senate Ethics Committee that it pursue charges against neither McCain nor Glenn, saying of McCain, "that there was no evidence against him."[22] The Vice Chairman of the Ethics Committee, Senator Warren Rudman of New Hampshire, agreed with Bennett, but the Chairman, Senator Howell Heflin of Alabama, did not agree.[9]

Regardless of the level of their involvement, both senators were greatly affected by it. McCain would write in 2002 that attending the two April 1987 meetings was "the worst mistake of my life".[24] Glenn has described the Senate Ethics Committee investigation as the low point of his life.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2008, 04:01:23 PM »
Thank you so kindly, Bt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle