Author Topic: McCain not sure how many houses he and wife own  (Read 8037 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
McCain not sure how many houses he and wife own
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »
WASHINGTON - Days after he cracked that being rich in the U.S. meant earning at least $5 million a year, Republican presidential candidate John McCain acknowledged that he wasn't sure how many houses he and his wealthy wife actually own.

"I think ? I'll have my staff get to you," McCain responded to a question posed by Politico, according to a story Thursday on the publication's Web site. "It's condominiums where ? I'll have them get to you."

Later, the McCain campaign told Politico that McCain and his wife, Cindy, have at least four in three states, Arizona, California and Virginia. Newsweek recently estimated the two owned at least seven properties.

On the campaign trail, McCain doesn't refer to his wife's wealth, estimated by some at $100 million and based on her late father's Arizona beer distributorship.

Democratic rival Barack Obama's campaign has been trying to make their wealth more widely known to blunt criticism that Obama is an elitist out of touch with ordinary Americans. Obama owns one house, the family home in Chicago, his campaign said.

According to her 2006 tax returns, Cindy McCain had a total income of $6 million. She has not released her 2007 returns, which she files separately from her husband. McCain's tax returns showed a total income of $405,409 in 2007.

In a forum last week with the Rev. Rick Warren, McCain was asked to define the word "rich" and to give a figure. After promoting his tax policies, McCain said: "I think if you are just talking about income, how about $5 million?" The audience laughed, and he added: "But seriously, I don't think you can ? I don't think seriously that ? the point is that I'm trying to make here, seriously ? and I'm sure that comment will be distorted ? but the point is that we want to keep people's taxes low and increase revenues."

Obama, asked the same question at the forum, said those making $250,000 and higher are in the top 3 to 4 percent and "doing well." Obama and his wife, Michelle, reported making $4.2 million in 2007.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080821/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_houses_2
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: McCain not sure how many houses he and wife own
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
Is a guy really an elitist just because he doesn't know how many houses he and his wife own?  Maybe he's just . . . well, . . . stupid.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »
Maybe he's just . . . well, . . . stupid.

Or maybe the investment properties are actually owned by his wife's Trust.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »
lol
I can`t top that at all
overall this election for me is not who will help this country.
to me its who will screw up the least
seriously neither has thrilled me
I hope everybody here know I`m not thrill with either party.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »

Gosh darnit Bt, will you stop being so rational & logical      oy

;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:19:24 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Knutey

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »
Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?
At least he is not a doddering old idiot like McBush and if he earned that much $ he didnt need a convicted felon to get it, did he?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
He earned that much last year. He wasn't earning near that much when he entered into the sweetheart deal with Rezko to purchase his Hyde Park property.

It's all about the timeline.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »
"At least he is not a doddering old idiot like McBush and if he earned that much $ he didnt need a convicted felon to get it, did he?"

I dunno, maybe we should ask ObamaWright, or ObamaCarter, or ObamaFarrakhan?

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Knutey

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »
He earned that much last year. He wasn't earning near that much when he entered into the sweetheart deal with Rezko to purchase his Hyde Park property.

It's all about the timeline.

Perhaps you could provide said timeline?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:

Knutey

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

Not even the Geriatric Outoftouch Philanderers campaign were dumb enough to use this lame excuse. It would have made it worse since most folks dont have 7 or 8 houses to put into a trust.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Apparently Knute, missed a prior post of mine, where a therapy assistant, who makes less than I do, has multiple investment homes, sometimes forgetting how many
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Knutey

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-obama-rezko-home-feb19,0,6690484.story
There isnt much of a timeline there. BTW the Obama's didnt make $4 million in 2005 but did make nearly $1 million in 2006 http://obama.3cdn.net/b689982572ef6e7ad4_mlbzaoxb2.pdf and probly about the same in 2005 which was still enough to buy the house on his own. (You guys cant stand for anyone else to have anything)There is no proof that there was any connection in this transaction , but there is proof that the Geriatric outoftouch Philanderer cant remember how many houses he & his wife own.

Knutey

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Apparently Knute, missed a prior post of mine, where a therapy assistant, who makes less than I do, has multiple investment homes, sometimes forgetting how many
I must admit that I do not pay much attention to your posts since they are usually pointless , off topic and inane. Your therapy assistant might also be married to an heiress he dumped his loyal wife who waited over 5 years for him and might also have Alzheimer's like McSame .