Author Topic: The American Dream is True. McCain just proved it to me.  (Read 4245 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The American Dream is True. McCain just proved it to me.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »
Y'all really like the choice?

I'm a little surprised. I have some friends here who are extremely conservative and they are pissed!

One of my co-workers said that "two years as governor of a state that depends on the federal government is awful." Are you all towing the line or are you genuinely happy? If the latter, why? What about Governor Palin do you like? What has she done that you find agreeable?

So pissed they are going to vote Obama - I think not...

I don't recall saying that. Got more strawmen?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
Y'all really like the choice?

I'm a little surprised. I have some friends here who are extremely conservative and they are pissed!

One of my co-workers said that "two years as governor of a state that depends on the federal government is awful." Are you all towing the line or are you genuinely happy? If the latter, why? What about Governor Palin do you like? What has she done that you find agreeable?

I like her because unlike McCain, Palin is actually a conservative. Secondly, as regards to her experience, she's running for vice-president, not president. She'll have the opportunity to learn the ropes under McCain.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »
Strange...I wasn't aware Palin was running for President.  Enlighten us, please

Running for vice president is running as a potential fill-in for the president should the need arise.  So, that person should be looked at as running for president.

Right?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 03:23:48 PM »
One of my co-workers said that "two years as governor of a state that depends on the federal government is awful."

What do they depend on the federal government for? Last time I checked, they had a yearly budget surplus every year. And it was larger than normal the last two years.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
Y'all really like the choice?  I'm a little surprised. I have some friends here who are extremely conservative and they are pissed!

You expected a VP pick that would have unanimous support??

One of my co-workers said that "two years as governor of a state that depends on the federal government is awful."

Compared to..... a 1 time rookie senator, who's voice only has 1 of a hundred in influence, as who's biggest strength as a senator would be to obstruct legislation??  You want to go down that path?  and how is Alaska's state so awfully beholden to the Fed?  I realize that Stephens was a big pork barrel Senator, but bringing in a bunch of pork doesn't equate the state being in some God awful crisis

Are you all towing the line or are you genuinely happy? If the latter, why?

Towing the party line would be the support of the Biden pick.  It demonstrates that McCain isn't looking for a political fix-it (what state(s) can my veep pull in?).  It demonstrates that McCain doesn't do what's considered the "popular" choice, reinforcing his maverick status I guess.  It demonstrates judgement in promoting a young conservative, with executive experience, that neither of the other 2 opponents have, as his incumbant

In other words, it's advocating the change & hope, by example, that the other party merely preaches, while staying focused on conservative ideals in attaining such

But I do look foward to leanring more about her
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »

What do they depend on the federal government for? Last time I checked, they had a yearly budget surplus every year. And it was larger than normal the last two years.

I think, but I could be wrong, that no state receives more federal dollars per dollar paid to the government than Alaska. In fact, I believe Alaska is #1 by quite a substantial margin. I have no idea what the money goes for.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »
Pork?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »

Nope. Again, that's not something I said.

Compared to..... a 1 time rookie senator, who's voice only has 1 of a hundred in influence, as who's biggest strength as a senator would be to obstruct legislation??  You want to go down that path?  and how is Alaska's state so awfully beholden to the Fed?  I realize that Stephens was a big pork barrel Senator, but bringing in a bunch of pork doesn't equate the state being in some God awful crisis

No need to be so defensive. I answered your latter question above. Abraham Lincoln was an Illinois State Legislator and a short-timer Congressman before becoming President. 

Towing the party line would be the support of the Biden pick.

You're not a Democrat, so that would be the incorrect party.  ::)

It demonstrates that McCain isn't looking for a political fix-it (what state(s) can my veep pull in?).

I don't think that Delaware was ever in doubt, was it?

It demonstrates that McCain doesn't do what's considered the "popular" choice, reinforcing his maverick status I guess.  It demonstrates judgement in promoting a young conservative, with executive experience, that neither of the other 2 opponents have, as his incumbant

OK

In other words, it's advocating the change & hope, by example, that the other party merely preaches, while staying focused on conservative ideals in attaining such But I do look foward to leanring more about her

So you support the choice, but you don't know anything she's done?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 03:50:59 PM »

Nope. Again, that's not something I said.

There was some implication of such when you referenced some conservatives not happy.  Why wouldn't there have been?

Towing the party line would be the support of the Biden pick.

You're not a Democrat, so that would be the incorrect party.  ::)

You weren't asking the same of the GOP??  Inquring as if the support was simply due to "party line"??  Oh, and just for the record, I'm not a registered Republican either

It demonstrates that McCain isn't looking for a political fix-it (what state(s) can my veep pull in?).

I don't think that Delaware was ever in doubt, was it?

Rhetorical Js.....picking a candidate that supposedly maximizes one's electoral votes vs picking a candidate simply because you think would be supportive of your own policies and epitomizes your campaign rhetoric

In other words, it's advocating the change & hope, by example, that the other party merely preaches, while staying focused on conservative ideals in attaining such But I do look foward to leanring more about her

So you support the choice, but you don't know anything she's done?

I don't know "much" vs "anything", though I look forward to learning more about her, as I've already referenced.  But 1st perceptions are excellent, for BOTH McCain & Palin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:45:44 PM by sirs »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
I think, but I could be wrong, that no state receives more federal dollars per dollar paid to the government than Alaska. In fact, I believe Alaska is #1 by quite a substantial margin. I have no idea what the money goes for.

I believe that no state has as much federally maintained land as Alaska. I'm pretty sure it's by a substantial margin as well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 03:55:17 PM »

I believe that no state has as much federally maintained land as Alaska. I'm pretty sure it's by a substantial margin as well.

Can you show that this is where the money goes? Some of that land does not require much maintenance.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »

Congress allocates the federal budget, not state's governors. If you want to see why so much money is going to Alaska, look to Ted Stevens, not Sarah Palin.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
Can you show that this is where the money goes? Some of that land does not require much maintenance.

Military bases, Dept of Interior funds (which supports federal park / wilderness areas), road construction funding, and Indian tribe support are the major sources of federal money to Alaska.

Defense spending is about 26% of the money spent in Alaska. Another 24% is direct payments to individuals (SS, Medicare, etc) which is the same as other Americans are entitled. 14% is various civilian operations, like road maintenance, construction, support of offices in Alaska (IRS, HUD, HHS, etc). So that's 64% of the money spent. The rest are various grants, which includes most of the pork-barrel spending, and support of Indian tribes (via treaty / BIA). The largest of the grant programs is the Indian Health Service.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
Thanks Ami!
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster