Author Topic: conservatives react to Palin  (Read 11005 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
conservatives react to Palin
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
We're looking at a full-blown meltdown.  Let's kick things off with Kathryn Jean Lopez of National Review:  

"She Just Is Not Ready to Be Commander-in-Chief" [said] Pat Buchanan on MSNBC just now, about Sarah Palin. I'm liable to agree.

Lopez also posted this as a typical email she's gotten:

As much as I loathe Obama-Biden, I can't in good conscience vote for a McCain-Palin ticket. Palin has absolutely no experience in foreign affairs. Considering both McCain's advanced age and the state of the world today, it is essential that the veep be exceedingly qualified to assume the office of president. I simply don't have any confidence in Palin's ability to deal effectively with Iran, Russia, China, etc. I certainly will not cast a vote for Obama-Biden, but nor will I vote for McCain-Palin. Looks like I'll either sit this one out or vote for Bob Barr. Why, o, why, didn't McCain listen to Rove and just pick Romney?

cityduck's diary :: ::
From the National Review's Ramesh Ponnuru:

Inexperience. Palin has been governor for about two minutes. Thanks to McCain’s decision, Palin could be commander-in-chief next year. That may strike people as a reckless choice; it strikes me that way. And McCain's age raised the stakes on this issue.

As a political matter, it undercuts the case against Obama. Conservatives are pointing out that it is tricky for the Obama campaign to raise the issue of her inexperience given his own, and note that the presidency matters more than the vice-presidency. But that gets things backward. To the extent the experience, qualifications, and national-security arguments are taken off the table, Obama wins.

And it’s not just foreign policy. Palin has no experience dealing with national domestic issues, either. (On the other hand, as Kate O’Beirne just told me, we know that Palin will be ready for that 3 a.m. phone call: She’ll already be up with her baby.)

Tokenism. Can anyone say with a straight face that Palin would have gotten picked if she were a man?

Compatibility. It doesn’t seem as though McCain knows Palin well. Do we have much reason to think they would work well together?

Debates. Maybe, as Jonah said the other day, Biden will look like a bully going up against her—and maybe she’ll shine. But I can think of a lot of other picks who would have been lower-risk.

I am not even sure that the pick will have quite the galvanizing effect on conservatives that it seems to be having now as it sinks in. The concerns I’ve mentioned here—about her readiness and her credentials—are the kind of thing that many conservative voters take seriously.

From the National Review's Jonah Goldberg:

Downside: She may not be ready for primetime. The heartbeat-from-the-presidency issue is a real one.

From the National Review's Jonathon Adler:

I recognize that were McCain to select Palin as his Veep it disrupts the Obama Lacks Foreign Policy Experience" talking point, but I was never thought that argument was all that powerful.

From Town Hall's Ron Fournier:

If Obama is an empty suit, as McCain has suggested, is Palin suited for the Oval Office herself?

She is younger and less experienced than the first-term Illinois senator, and brings an ethical shadow to the ticket. Just 20 months ago, she was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, a town of 6,500 where the biggest issue is controlling growth and the biggest annual worry is whether there will be enough snow for the Iditarod dog-mushing race.

From MSNBC's Joe Scarborough:

It Sounds Like a Harriet Miers Decision. Let's Find a Woman, Whether She's Experienced or Not.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/29/125530/561/942/578766

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: conservatives react to Palin
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
One point that has not been mentioned, before things get too heated. When McCain was searching for a candidate I noted that we would see whether he was comfortable with his base or not. If not he'd pick a safer choice (a.k.a. Mitt Romney). I think the choice of Governor Palin shows that he is very comfortable that conservative and evangelical voters will come out for him in November. While she is a conservative, he could have found a much more well-known conservative woman (Senator Hutchinson for example).

One thing is for certain, it is an interesting race. No matter who wins we'll have our first President to move directly from Capitol Hill to the White House since JFK and we'll have either our first woman veep or our first African-American president.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
Well deduced, Js
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
I don't expect McCain to die in office, but I do expect that, on account of his age, he'll be a one termer. I'll support McCain in '08 so I can vote for Palin in 2012.

For all her looks, Palin is one tough cookie. She's our best shot yet at developing an American Margaret Thatcher.

Imagine what the 2012 election is going to look like. I can just see Hillary kicking and screaming - "It's not fair! IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!"
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
an American Margaret Thatcher

Ugh.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
I don't expect McCain to die in office, but I do expect that, on account of his age, he'll be a one termer. I'll support McCain in '08 so I can vote for Palin in 2012.

For all her looks, Palin is one tough cookie. She's our best shot yet at developing an American Margaret Thatcher.

Imagine what the 2012 election is going to look like. I can just see Hillary kicking and screaming - "It's not fair! IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!"

I wouldn't start printing Palin posters just yet.

President Obama's first term is going to completely bury the the GOP for another 20 years.

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »

Ugh.

Repeat after me....

There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
-Sir Edmund Burke

Religious Dick

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »

President Obama's first term is going to completely bury the the GOP for another 20 years.

If Obama can't even gain a significant bounce at his coronation (and he hasn't), he's not going to get elected to anything.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
I remember when I used to say things like that about Bush all the time.  I said the same sorts of things about John Kerry when he was running against Dean.

It's what we do when we fall in love with our candidates.  Its also what we do when know that our candidate is officially and terminally a "dog".

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »

He needs to be an effective president if he is going to have a second term , let alone coattails into the next decade.

What seems like "effective " about him?

I am seeig Jimmy Carter Redoux.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
Hmmm.....Bush III or Carter II?..

That didn't take long
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Knutey

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »

That didn't take long

At least Carter didnt get US into a bullshit war.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:36 PM »

Ugh.

Repeat after me....

There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...
There is no "society"...

hahahaha

We could always have Maggie Thatcher top rates of 60%+ or increase government spending as a percentage of GDP as she did when compared to James Callaghan... ;)

People often forget her record compared to her rhetoric. But she was tough on the Argentine Junta (that the U.S. supported). It was the fracas of Fascists in the Falklands.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »

That didn't take long

At least Carter didnt get US into a bullshit war.

No, Carter was more about helping fund right-wing death squads in Latin America and pumping Afghanistan full of weapons. Oh, and using monetarist policies to f*** the economy at home.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Cynthia

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

In the end, no matter how strong this woman is in front of the camera, it all comes down to policies that work.

I agree, Brass on this one.